Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Football Heritage - Ed Richards family line

With Ed playing his 125th game tomorrow night, the Richards/Pannam family combination will become the family to play the most combined V/AFL games

What a great story
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes The Adelaide Connection, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Heritage - Ed Richards family line

Love how committed he is to our club. You just know he is going to give his all tomorrow night.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Incredible football pedigree.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Pannam - from Wikipedia

Charles Henry Pannam (2 October 1874 – 29 October 1952) was an Australian rules footballer who played for the Collingwood Football Club in the Victorian Football Association (VFA) between 1894 and 1896 then in the Victorian Football League (VFL) between 1897 and 1906.[1] He then played for the Richmond Football Club in the VFA in 1907 then in the VFL in 1908. He was senior coach of Richmond in 1907 and 1912.

The son of a Greek immigrant father, Ioannis ("John") Pannam (1832–1899) and an Australian mother of Welsh descent, Anne Pannam (1841–1898),[2] n?e Hughes, Charles Henry Pannam was born at Daylesford on 2 October 1874. His father's family name of Pannamopoulos had been shortened to Pannam when he emigrated from Greece to Australia in 1856.

Ed is related through his Grandfather Ron Richards and Grand Uncle Lou, who were related directly back to Charlie Pannam.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks josie, macca thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Charlie Pannam - from Wikipedia

Charles Henry Pannam (2 October 1874 – 29 October 1952) was an Australian rules footballer who played for the Collingwood Football Club in the Victorian Football Association (VFA) between 1894 and 1896 then in the Victorian Football League (VFL) between 1897 and 1906.[1] He then played for the Richmond Football Club in the VFA in 1907 then in the VFL in 1908. He was senior coach of Richmond in 1907 and 1912.

The son of a Greek immigrant father, Ioannis ("John") Pannam (1832–1899) and an Australian mother of Welsh descent, Anne Pannam (1841–1898),[2] n?e Hughes, Charles Henry Pannam was born at Daylesford on 2 October 1874. His father's family name of Pannamopoulos had been shortened to Pannam when he emigrated from Greece to Australia in 1856.

Ed is related through his Grandfather Ron Richards and Grand Uncle Lou, who were related directly back to Charlie Pannam.
    So you are telling me there are ginger Greeks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    You missed the Welsh side

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed with Richards selection at the time. Not that I didn't think poorly of him, just at the time I was hoping we'd nab a couple of others at that pick. Boy am I, and the whole Bulldog loving universe fortunate my hands are nowhere near the scouting and draft tiller.

On reflection there may only be two or 3 others taken in that draft I'd want before him. The move to midfield has just looked an absolute winner of a move for both club and player. Baz who?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Ioannis arrived in the same decade, 1850s, as did all my great grand parents. I can't call him a greek or a wog ? The poor bugg.r will just have to earn his fortune as did his great great grandparents. What a great country we live in, eh ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed with Richards selection at the time. Not that I didn't think poorly of him, just at the time I was hoping we'd nab a couple of others at that pick. Boy am I, and the whole Bulldog loving universe fortunate my hands are nowhere near the scouting and draft tiller.

On reflection there may only be two or 3 others taken in that draft I'd want before him. The move to midfield has just looked an absolute winner of a move for both club and player. Baz who?
    It was touted at his drafting that he has physical capacity to play in the middle long term, but they say that about anyone who isn't already playing in the middle.

This time around it was spot on. He like others though just needs to stop being a ****en space cadet every three or four weeks or so and put consistency on the weekly agenda's completed actions.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It was touted at his drafting that he has physical capacity to play in the middle long term, but they say that about anyone who isn't already playing in the middle.

This time around it was spot on. He like others though just needs to stop being a ****en space cadet every three or four weeks or so and put consistency on the weekly agenda's completed actions.
    His turnover in the second was almost the moment for me.
    On the wing, went inside and kicked it straight to the oppo who went forward and goaled.
    We never recovered momentum.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BAD, amazing history.
    Why Pies didn't recruit him I know not.
    I have sent this to my two sons, their mother is Greek with my heritage Irish catholic.
    AFL has claim to be the oldest sport.
    It was codified earlier than any others.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

A footy historic fact is that speaks of the nature of early footy is that my father who died in '64 was in the first St Pat's Ballarat team to lose in fifty years, in 1931 beaten by St Kevin's Toorak.
    So St Pats Ballarat were not beaten since 1881.
    Bob Davis when asked his greatest victory surprisingly said playing for Geelong Grammar and beating St Pats.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post