Thanks Thanks:  333
Likes Likes:  2,003
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So. Geelong lock in Pick 15-18.

Battle compo first round pushes it out by one: Pick 16-19

Ashcroft, Lombard, Camporeale & Kako (4) all bid by the pick: Smith first round pick 20-23.

A first rounder on its own is shithouse, so I’d rather let him go to the PSD unless there’s also an F1 with say our F2 going back. This is getting pretty smelly.
    And there is no expectation of Geelong looking to make any moves to improve that first round pick's value?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    And there is no expectation of Geelong looking to make any moves to improve that first round pick's value?
    That’s not their style. Not sure they’d want to either. I’d hold our feet to the fire like Brisbane did. I guess it’s whether we are going to demand the F1 be added under threat of the PSD or whether we tinker with the crap pick this year and something they’re content to palm off on us.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That’s not their style. Not sure they’d want to either. I’d hold our feet to the fire like Brisbane did. I guess it’s whether we are going to demand the F1 be added under threat of the PSD or whether we tinker with the crap pick this year and something they’re content to palm off on us.
    I must admit I would be really disappointed if our club doesn't make a stand here, just not right now. And maybe we will.

This has been the whole problem I've had with some of our outbound trade approaches during Bevo's reign; we set a precedent for being soft and we get rolled time and time again when one of our guys signals their intention top leave.

We stuffed up Stringer's departure, and then tried to make that turd of a situation look good by selling it as "Look we turned Stringer into 'former pick 2 Schache'..." yeeaaah that was great...if only we played in the wet week in week out.

Didn't Dodo trade out higher value picks when we would've hand back a 1st rounder to them as part of them giving us a top 10 pick or something in their initial offer for Stringer?

And we've hardly been on paper winners for any single player's departure in trade terms since.. Dunkley the standout where once again we should've stood our ground...and let him walk...but instead we once again ate a turd sandwich..when the Lions also moved their picks and screwed us.

And now we're gonna let Baz Brand Smith walk for what amounts to an early 2nd rounder.. Yes he's done a knee, but he's also shown himself to be a vigilant trainer and good preparer. There is no way Geelong would let him go for that if roles were reversed..
    Let him go via the draft, and just say. Look, sick of being not treated professionally by other clubs, and we're not going to give an A grade player for a speculative draft pick.

4. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Bullies, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I must admit I would be really disappointed if our club doesn't make a stand here, just not right now. And maybe we will.

This has been the whole problem I've had with some of our outbound trade approaches during Bevo's reign; we set a precedent for being soft and we get rolled time and time again when one of our guys signals their intention top leave.

We stuffed up Stringer's departure, and then tried to make that turd of a situation look good by selling it as "Look we turned Stringer into 'former pick 2 Schache'..." yeeaaah that was great...if only we played in the wet week in week out.

Didn't Dodo trade out higher value picks when we would've hand back a 1st rounder to them as part of them giving us a top 10 pick or something in their initial offer for Stringer?

And we've hardly been on paper winners for any single player's departure in trade terms since.. Dunkley the standout where once again we should've stood our ground...and let him walk...but instead we once again ate a turd sandwich..when the Lions also moved their picks and screwed us.

And now we're gonna let Baz Brand Smith walk for what amounts to an early 2nd rounder.. Yes he's done a knee, but he's also shown himself to be a vigilant trainer and good preparer. There is no way Geelong would let him go for that if roles were reversed..
    Let him go via the draft, and just say. Look, sick of being not treated professionally by other clubs, and we're not going to give an A grade player for a speculative draft pick.
    Dodo had offered a first for Stringer is home handed back our next pick (so a slight upgrade) as they were chasing Smith from GWS. They then offered it to GWS and we were left with scraps.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We gotta look at it as a free swing. We’ve already dealt with the hardest part, being the on field loss of him. Either do the deal at the opening bell or hold firm.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Should know by tomorrow what he is doing.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Should know by tomorrow what he is doing.
    You think he’s been waiting for 12 months to sign on tomorrow, while the others have mad Monday?

Post Thanks / Like

While the whispers are he's going to Geelong I wouldn't rule out him nominating Collingwood as his preferred destination.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the end of this saga.

He's been a bit of a headache from day one, and it's been a long drawn out year.
    W00F!

12. Likes bulldogtragic, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is Geelong, don’t be surprised until nothing is mentioned until either Geel is out or the GF is over. Cats won’t want any distractions in their finals campaign.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

It may just end up with their first which is quite ordinary, a pick in the low 20's after father sons etc? That could nab us someone like Charlie Clarke (uuum), and perhaps a swap of a 2nd and 4th rounders which could see us with multiple 2nd round picks, something we missed out on when gaining Jamarra and Darcy.

Or do we try and turn Baz into a player of need type of trade, perhaps a multi club deal, a pacey small forward, a pacey mid, a small defender? That Darcy Jones lad looks good at the Giants, he would slot nicely into our forward line and off a wing, a red white and blue helmet would look awesome too, or do we turn Baz into O'Driscoll or Peatling with swaps of picks to go with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    If it is Geelong, don’t be surprised until nothing is mentioned until either Geel is out or the GF is over. Cats won’t want any distractions in their finals campaign.
    As opposed to Hawthorn who already have 2 players who have signalled their desires to join that club next year.

I would think it will ?get out? post our exit meetings which I assume would start this week and would continue after Footscray finish up their season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    It may just end up with their first which is quite ordinary, a pick in the low 20's after father sons etc? That could nab us someone like Charlie Clarke (uuum), and perhaps a swap of a 2nd and 4th rounders which could see us with multiple 2nd round picks, something we missed out on when gaining Jamarra and Darcy.

Or do we try and turn Baz into a player of need type of trade, perhaps a multi club deal, a pacey small forward, a pacey mid, a small defender? That Darcy Jones lad looks good at the Giants, he would slot nicely into our forward line and off a wing, a red white and blue helmet would look awesome too, or do we turn Baz into O'Driscoll or Peatling with swaps of picks to go with it?
    I’m open to trading the pick/s gained for Baz. But it needs to be a genuine player of need to plugs in immediately. As others have said, if it’s Peatling just to plonk him on a forward flank then I’d prefer the kid. Also if we hypothetically list all of Garcia, CD, Macrae, Bailey & Khamis well then we might need to get a mature player. We picked up 5 kids last year plus Ryp. So maybe there’s a stronger case for trading it if the right player doesn’t pick a big Vic club.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m open to trading the pick/s gained for Baz. But it needs to be a genuine player of need to plugs in immediately. As others have said, if it’s Peatling just to plonk him on a forward flank then I’d prefer the kid. Also if we hypothetically list all of Garcia, CD, Macrae, Bailey & Khamis well then we might need to get a mature player. We picked up 5 kids last year plus Ryp. So maybe there’s a stronger case for trading it if the right player doesn’t pick a big Vic club.
    I watched the all Sydney game (what a game!), but also watched Peatling quite a bit, have seen him play not haven't really watched him, he played in the guts quite a bit, looks decent clearing the ball, had a shot on goal which was ordinary but his good could compliment us, seems a bit of a goer which we need in spades, likes to tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Smith has officially informed the club he wants to be traded.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.