Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  81
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's just a sense of relief.

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Times have changed and for the better. I don?t think that anyone has to put up with that kind of crap in a workplace no matter how well you are paid.
    Ok, let’s remove the aspect of workplace harassment that wasn’t intended. The greater point being, imagine going into your workplace after blowing a contract or other such corporate job non-sporting equivalent event and being so nonchalant about it. In the context of other comments in the thread about Bevo and his familiarity………..
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ok, let’s remove the aspect of workplace harassment that wasn’t intended. The greater point being, imagine going into your workplace after blowing a contract or other such corporate job non-sporting equivalent event and being so nonchalant about it. In the context of other comments in the thread about Bevo and his familiarity………..
    It's pretty tone deaf, however I think Cody has a whole spiritual outlook on things which may be just his way of dealing with the loss.
    They were the ones out there busting their arses and elbows for the cause.

I saw Bailey Williams smiling after a loss earlier this year, I was annoyed however realised it's just a job for these guys. Does not indicate they don't care of course.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the frustration in his attitude and understand supporters thinking he doesn?t give a rats. Timing was probably pretty off but everyone responds to things differently. If that is how he overcomes his disappointment then so be it. You can tell Cody cares deeply about the team and results- he would be annoyed as anyone about the performance on Friday night. Think we are over analysing this to be frank

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure some platitudes from Cody would have made us all feel a lot better.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    I get the frustration in his attitude and understand supporters thinking he doesn?t give a rats. Timing was probably pretty off but everyone responds to things differently. If that is how he overcomes his disappointment then so be it. You can tell Cody cares deeply about the team and results- he would be annoyed as anyone about the performance on Friday night. Think we are over analysing this to be frank
    It’s the timing more so than the actual words, and I didnt intend on doing a deep dive. It’s like when a loved pet (or person) dies and immediately after it happens they tell you ‘they had a good innings’.

Maybe down the track you accept the broader point they’re trying to make. When the loss is fresh, it’s a little hard to swallow.

But if that’s the message he wants to send out to the world feel better than more power to him. To me, so close to the loss, I just find it pretty incongruent with a lot of professional athletes that just blew a golden opportunity. That was the only take away I had. GVGjr question about whether there’s too much familiarity is a different question that I don’t really know.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm sure some platitudes from Cody would have made us all feel a lot better.
    He didn’t really have to say anything though did he? I’m not looking to hear comments of his from other posters to feel better or worse. I think from saying essentially it’s ‘weird’ to half a page of posts about it seems like a lot of energy being spent on nothing of any real consequence other than my view it’s seems a little weird to say it so soon after the loss. Beyond that, there’s way more constructive and consequential things impacting the clubs future.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s the timing more so than the actual words, and I didnt intend on doing a deep dive. It’s like when a loved pet (or person) dies and immediately after it happens they tell you ‘they had a good innings’.

Maybe down the track you accept the broader point they’re trying to make. When the loss is fresh, it’s a little hard to swallow.

But if that’s the message he wants to send out to the world feel better than more power to him. To me, so close to the loss, I just find it pretty incongruent with a lot of professional athletes that just blew a golden opportunity. That was the only take away I had. GVGjr question about whether there’s too much familiarity is a different question that I don’t really know.
    Good points and totally respect what you are saying. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

He didn’t really have to say anything though did he? I’m not looking to hear comments of his from other posters to feel better or worse. I think from saying essentially it’s ‘weird’ to half a page of posts about it seems like a lot of energy being spent on nothing of any real consequence other than my view it’s seems a little weird to say it so soon after the loss. Beyond that, there’s way more constructive and consequential things impacting the clubs future.
    Mate I honestly couldn't give a shit one way or the other. Just presenting another view where if he posted platitudes some would just say "well maybe you should have thought about that before you and your mates........" so on and so forth.

Ultimately I'm out of touch when it comes to understanding how managing elite athletes and their responses to losses works. Probably always was, but definitely am more so now given the generational gap. It's why I've never subscribed to the "we should have all watched the 2021 Grand Final together as a learning experience" sentiments or other things like that. I mean, what the **** would I know?

Cody and his ilk aren't stupid. They'd be really clear on what they did and didn't do well Friday, and perhaps letting go of it is the best medicine for a quick recovery.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

9. Likes bornadog, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's why I've never subscribed to the "we should have all watched the 2021 Grand Final together as a learning experience" sentiments or other things like that.
    If it's good enough to review and analyse every H&A match in great detail, it is absolutely necessary to do the same in a failed GF. Otherwise how can you expect to learn and improve? All you're doing is setting yourself up for future failure by making the exact same mistakes again, and losing in the exact same manner (ergo 2022 EF), adding further fuel to the soft underbelly tag. How we mis-handled that 2021 GF loss in the days afterwards put us in a go-nowhere doom loop for the next 2 years, until we belatedly made changes in our coaching group and high performance dept. It was 18 months too late but we did make meaningful change last off-season, which was reflected in our stronger performance profile in 2024.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, DOG GOD, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If it's good enough to review and analyse every H&A match in great detail, it is absolutely necessary to do the same in a failed GF. Otherwise how can you expect to learn and improve? All you're doing is setting yourself up for future failure by making the exact same mistakes again, and losing in the exact same manner (ergo 2022 EF), adding further fuel to the soft underbelly tag. How we mis-handled that 2021 GF loss in the days afterwards put us in a go-nowhere doom loop for the next 2 years, until we belatedly made changes in our coaching group and high performance dept. It was 18 months too late but we did make meaningful change last off-season, which was reflected in our stronger performance profile in 2024.
    To be fair, they only had to review the second half. The first half was brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from not having to figure out the logistics of going to the remaining finals, not sure relief is an overwhelming emotion from Friday.

Frustration is probably the word.

It's sucks that we lost, but Hawthorn were awesome, I am not convinced we wouldn't have beaten a bunch of the other finalists, and if we have lost on the same manner to the Hawks but it was week 2 or 3 of finals we would see it as a pretty bug success. I know that doesn't make practical sense btw.

I'm certainly not feeling relief that we now get to/have to discuss:
    English as a ruck.....again. Talk of dropping him to the VFL is honeslty just fatiguing.
    Jamarras efforts, or perceived lack thereof.
    We are too slow
    Macrae and Daniels non futures.
    Jones and Duryea and Libba going from best 22 certainties to "maybe they shouldn't be key players next year"
    Bevo, no good, discuss.
    Do the players care enough.
    Baffling in game positional stuff, like Naughton in the ruck.

I dunno, relief is so far from what I'm feeling. This is the funnest part of the AFL season, and what all the other supposedly fun parts (Draft, Trade, H and A season, and all the discussion points above) are centred around. In no way do I want it to end prematurely so we can rush back into that stuff.

Absolutely I get the anxiety of worrying about the fall, but this is not one of those things where the fear of something is worse than it eventuating.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

14. Likes Sedat, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"It's the hope that kills you"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    "It's the hope that kills you"
    What hope?

We’ll just do what we do and accept whatever happens. It is what it is at Footscray. Jobs for life, unconditional love and support and loyalty within the four walls, everything else is external noise.

There’s always next year.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    What hope?

We’ll just do what we do and accept whatever happens. It is what it is at Footscray. Jobs for life, unconditional love and support and loyalty within the four walls, everything else is external noise.

There’s always next year.
    Maybe that should be our permanent slogan for membership campaigns?

19. Thanks 1eyedog, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe that should be our permanent slogan for membership campaigns?
    After 97 and 98 I thought we should have gone with: Please don’t hate us
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

21. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post