Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
    Post Thanks / Like

Geelong and Baz.

I read an article today on Apple news via Code Sports explaining how the Cats are going to unleash a midfield featuring Smith, Holmes and Dangerfield next year.

Which is cool and I'm sure a big part of the package he has been sold. AND I actually believe that is their intention.

It's not gonna happen though.

It's like Dunks going to Brisbane to be the 'MAN' - only to be filling in holes behind McCluggage and Neale and spending time tagging and at half forward...all the stuff that was part of his reality at the Dogs but not in the sales brochure from Brisbane. The trouble is (of course) that once you've "signed on", all those promises fade into the background when the REAL priorities - you know, winning games and getting your best 22 on the park - start to take hold.

He should definitely go to the Catters if that's what he wants to do - I don't begrudge him that...he gave me enough joy at the end of that Lions final in 2021 to earn a lifetime free pass...BUT don't kid yourself things will be different. Sure - you will get SOME inside mid time...just as you would if you stayed as Liber and Treloar (and Bont, sigh) get older. But you will be an inside outside mid who spends time on the wing and at half-forward...and that's perfectly OK. It's a good role and one you are well suited too.

You should 100% read the brochure. But don't believe everything it says - simply put mate, don't confuse sales with service delivery. Once you're there - or wherever it is you end up - 4 points will be more important than honouring the promises of the 2024 trade period.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog, Mofra, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong and Baz.

The lad gave us 103 good games, in each of which I think he made us better than if he wasn't playing.

We cannot think of him leaving now as a loss because we got five good seasons from him. That is a win. We try and win even bigly-er from his replacement.

Good luck to him. Genuinely hope he does well in football and life.

4. Likes josie, Mofra, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I read an article today on Apple news via Code Sports explaining how the Cats are going to unleash a midfield featuring Smith, Holmes and Dangerfield next year.

Which is cool and I'm sure a big part of the package he has been sold. AND I actually believe that is their intention.

It's not gonna happen though.

It's like Dunks going to Brisbane to be the 'MAN' - only to be filling in holes behind McCluggage and Neale and spending time tagging and at half forward...all the stuff that was part of his reality at the Dogs but not in the sales brochure from Brisbane. The trouble is (of course) that once you've "signed on", all those promises fade into the background when the REAL priorities - you know, winning games and getting your best 22 on the park - start to take hold.

He should definitely go to the Catters if that's what he wants to do - I don't begrudge him that...he gave me enough joy at the end of that Lions final in 2021 to earn a lifetime free pass...BUT don't kid yourself things will be different. Sure - you will get SOME inside mid time...just as you would if you stayed as Liber and Treloar (and Bont, sigh) get older. But you will be an inside outside mid who spends time on the wing and at half-forward...and that's perfectly OK. It's a good role and one you are well suited too.

You should 100% read the brochure. But don't believe everything it says - simply put mate, don't confuse sales with service delivery. Once you're there - or wherever it is you end up - 4 points will be more important than honouring the promises of the 2024 trade period.
    I wonder if he cracks the sads again? I don’t see him team firsting like Dunkley did/does.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    The lad gave us 103 good games, in each of which I think he made us better than if he wasn't playing.

We cannot think of him leaving now as a loss because we got five good seasons from him. That is a win. We try and win even bigly-er from his replacement.

Don't mind the logic. The Jordan McMahon pick is the ultimate in player-pick recycling:

2000 - Pick 10 - Jordan McMahon - 114 games >
    2007 - Pick 19 - Callan Ward - 60 games >
    2012 - Pick 6 - Jack Macrae - 249 games >
    2024 - Pick ?

Maybe the Baz pick will reap similar rewards?

Of course the other side of the argument is that games 100-200 are typically when good players play their best football. Cal Ward wasn't a gun when he left but he sure has been ever since.

One thing that's clear after the Dunkley trade saga, and apparently not learned with Baz - it's not prudent to allow good players to enter the last year of their contract. If something stinks, trade them while we still have leverage.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

7. Likes josie, Sedat, jeemak, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post

In terms of the average number of games played it is a great return for 103 games. The good thing is we get could get a father/son/daughter from it.

9. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I wonder if he cracks the sads again? I don’t see him team firsting like Dunkley did/does.
    I am expecting just that because he is not a team player, he is selfish and number one is Bazelenka.

Once they leave the RWB I don't have a soft spot for many players. Lippa, yes, Roughead yes I did and Macrae I will, but not Smith.

When the Bullgods retire they are welcome back for the reunions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Solid assumption that Smith can read.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes chef, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Baz felt the need to say there are two sides to every story re. some criticisms from supporters and the media.

I wonder what he meant. Has he had a falling out?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Baz felt the need to say there are two sides to every story re. some criticisms from supporters and the media.

We seem to have given him a lot of support and the flexibility to train away from the club in recent months so perhaps there has been a falling out of sorts. I did see some interactions between Smith and Bevo a few months back and they appeared to be having a good laugh.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Was it because the club were hoping to get him playing by the end of the season and his Management had said it was a no go that they did not want to take the risk. Club knew then he had no intention of staying and created some angst.

Post Thanks / Like

Side 1: The dogs wanted me to repay the faith, commitment and belief in me as a person and player.

Side 2: **** that, I’m Brand Bailey Smith.

Yep. Two sides you clowns.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The one story I clicked on and saw comments they were pretty vile towards Bailey.

I would suggest he was sick of it and replied in a moment of justified emotion at the abuse.

Animals out there on socials.

I wish Bailey all the best. I hope he can forge a great career at the Cats. I also hope we are well compensated.

I'm not sure either of these things will happen tbh.

19. Likes josie, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He did mention in his next post about loyalty in regards to Monster Energy, I wonder just wonder if the dogs really wanted Bailey Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    He did mention in his next post about loyalty in regards to Monster Energy, I wonder just wonder if the dogs really wanted Bailey Smith.
    If we didn't want him why wouldn't we have traded him 12 months ago?

Post Thanks / Like

Buyer beware. Geelong will back themselves to turn around his selfish nature and adopt the culture they have created over many years.

Well maybe the second string players that ?are like glue? will crack it and say why continue to bring people like Stenglin, Baz etc in and upset the apple cart.

Good
    Luck cats. The Dalhouse experiment didn?t produced w any fruit neither will this