Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midfield Depth

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Midfield Depth

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Another slowish mid is not what we need.
    We need a good outside with speed
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Beveridge has indicated that "utilities" are our priority for list management gaps.

I wonder if this will progress Freijah into the midfield group this preseason or he will continue to train with the defenders.

We are desperate for the Sanders pick to pay off.
    That would be just a bad idea.

Jack of all trades master of none.

Can't we just get fast players who can kick properly ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    That would be just a bad idea.

Jack of all trades master of none.

Can't we just get fast players who can kick properly ?
    Yep agree…should be simple, but nothing with this club is simple
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jDogs View Post
    Can anyone else see Williams training as mid this preseason? I have a feeling this could happen if we pick up an O'Driscoll type and we don't bring in a Peatling type. Have always felt he could be good in there, plus Bevo happened to mention a few weeks ago how he thought he could be one to go in there.
    Bevo mentioned it on 360 recently that they see Williams having the ability to play inside mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Bevo mentioned it on 360 recently that they see Williams having the ability to play inside mid.
    What do you think? I think he is too slow

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What do you think? I think he is too slow
    I think too much is being made of speed being the issue on Friday night we just didn't turn up, worth noting PA has plenty of speed in the midfield got smashed. Ive always thought he can play inside mid, has a nice step and a neat kick I think we need to add speed/skill on the flanks more so.

7. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t we have Cooney’s son and another West eligible in next year’s draft. Also, another Darcy as well (as ruck perhaps).

So three mids (of various types) could be at the club in a little over 12- months time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jDogs View Post
    Can anyone else see Williams training as mid this preseason? I have a feeling this could happen if we pick up an O'Driscoll type and we don't bring in a Peatling type. Have always felt he could be good in there, plus Bevo happened to mention a few weeks ago how he thought he could be one to go in there.
    If Williams plays in midfield, I hope Baker or Poulter fill the Wings spot. Both need to go up another level and be accurate kicks in the forward line delivery and for shots at goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    If Williams plays in midfield, I hope Baker or Poulter fill the Wings spot. Both need to go up another level and be accurate kicks in the forward line delivery and for shots at goal.
    My only concern is that neither Poulter or Baker have been able to make the wing opposite Bailey Williams their own. Not sure they are the answer if Williams moves to an inside mid.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

My only concern is that neither Poulter or Baker have been able to make the wing opposite Bailey Williams their own. Not sure they are the answer if Williams moves to an inside mid.
    I agree. We want to improve our wing position. I’m interested in what O’Driscoll could provide here, perhaps Houston. Baker and Poulter are good depth, but we won’t improve they are first team wings next year. Caleb Daniel too needs to find a permanent spot and ended up rotating wing at the end of the season. Could Arty step up here?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

They're good depth players but I agree they had their chances to to become somewhat regular players and didn't grasp them.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We've got some wing issues.

I think Baker is better than Poulter. But clearly he's doing something wrong.

It's why I look at Caleb Windsor and think DAMN IT!

Anyway - what's Hunter doing next year x^]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They're good depth players but I agree they had their chances to to become somewhat regular players and didn't grasp them.
    What are the odds both get extended next year? I’d say not high if their form line maintains.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    What are the odds both get extended next year? I’d say not high if their form line maintains.
    If I was Baker I'd have a close look at how Bramble established himself in the team as a regular player then have a look at the aging Duryea and JJ and my talks to the coaches would be about a potential change to the back line. It's worth a shot and he should realise that his chances of becoming a regular winger with us has come and gone.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If I was Baker I'd have a close look at how Bramble established himself in the team as a regular player then have a look at the aging Duryea and JJ and my talks to the coaches would be about a potential change to the back line. It's worth a shot and he should realise that his chances of becoming a regular winger with us has come and gone.
    Baker played in the backline in the last few VFL games in the H&A and I thought he did well. Not sure where he played in the last final.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I think Baker is better than Poulter. But clearly he's doing something wrong.
    I think he is not consistent for 4 quarters and only plays in bursts