Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  24
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Midfield Depth

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Midfield Depth

Baker and Poulter were on the wings in the last final.
    They've pretty much trained there and even in scratch matches are placed on the wing.
    With a full preseason training as a defender it might be his best chance at getting another contract
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Baker played in the backline in the last few VFL games in the H&A and I thought he did well. Not sure where he played in the last final.

I think he is not consistent for 4 quarters and only plays in bursts
    Baker can turn it over a bit but he does have toe & never gives up. I do think both teams have been a bit guilty of not giving it to him when he has made good position.

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Baker can turn it over a bit but he does have toe & never gives up. I do think both teams have been a bit guilty of not giving it to him when he has made good position.
    One thing I wanted to see this year was Baker trialled at half back and Richards have more on ball time. I'm not convinced Baker can defend but like you say he has a crack and has some speed. He also has a penetraing kick.

I was hoping with JJ out for most of the season Bevo might pull the lever. I realise it's not like for like because Ed gives us coverage above his head but thought it would be worth trialling mainly to get Ed in the middle.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I think long term Gallagher and Friejah will be our wings. I think our most pressing need is a inside burst mid. Would love a Butters or Rayner otherwise hit the draft.

We certainly need midfield depth though. It's crazy to think 3 years ago our Mid depth was the envy of the competition and we had no key position stocks. How quickly things turn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2Koly View Post
    I think long term Gallagher and Friejah will be our wings. I think our most pressing need is a inside burst mid. Would love a Butters or Rayner otherwise hit the draft.

We certainly need midfield depth though. It's crazy to think 3 years ago our Mid depth was the envy of the competition and we had no key position stocks. How quickly things turn.
    Do you think Richards can be the burst inside mid?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Do you think Richards can be the burst inside mid?
    Yeah I do but his ball use is so good I think I'd prefer him as first receiver. If you take Nick Diacos as an example, having to play inside really hurt his ball use this year.

8. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I do but his ball use is so good I think I'd prefer him as first receiver. If you take Nick Diacos as an example, having to play inside really hurt his ball use this year.
    Yeah, good call. I had not thought about it like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, good call. I had not thought about it like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jDogs View Post
    Can anyone else see Williams training as mid this preseason? I have a feeling this could happen if we pick up an O'Driscoll type and we don't bring in a Peatling type. Have always felt he could be good in there, plus Bevo happened to mention a few weeks ago how he thought he could be one to go in there.
    He's statistically in the top 5 wings in the competition. Leave him there.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Baker played in the backline in the last few VFL games in the H&A and I thought he did well. Not sure where he played in the last final.

I think he is not consistent for 4 quarters and only plays in bursts
    Baker came on as a sub, got 19 possessions, 4 bounces and 3 goals.
    To me that is potential.

After that he got only 3 games and 2 subs. I don?t think he is seen as relevant.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Baker as well and think he gets judged harshly by the MC. Has also been one of our most effective sub options.

Has intensity, speed, can cover the ground, finds the goals, holds his position. I'm.not sure what we are looking fir on the wing that he isn't able to provide to a sufficient level considering the alternatives.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

My issue with Baker, and I'd be surprised if it's not the same with the MC, is that he is completely underwater in defensive third open play. Only Khamis looks worse when a bit of groundball chaos is thrown into the mix.

He's excellent from our half back and forwards from there, runs hard and penetrates by foot.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    My issue with Baker, and I'd be surprised if it's not the same with the MC, is that he is completely underwater in defensive third open play. Only Khamis looks worse when a bit of groundball chaos is thrown into the mix.

He's excellent from our half back and forwards from there, runs hard and penetrates by foot.
    I think the biggest issue with Baker is the difference between his best and worst in enormous. At his best he’s a fast hard running wingman who kicks goals(see Gold Coast game). At his worst he misses targets by 15ms and put 3 kicks under no pressure out on the full (see the bomber game).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    One thing I wanted to see this year was Baker trialled at half back and Richards have more on ball time. I'm not convinced Baker can defend but like you say he has a crack and has some speed. He also has a penetraing kick.

I was hoping with JJ out for most of the season Bevo might pull the lever. I realise it's not like for like because Ed gives us coverage above his head but thought it would be worth trialling mainly to get Ed in the middle.
    Baker has the advantage of moving the ball forward at all opportunity which is how we seem to be heading as a team - territory and ball speed over trying to be 'perfect' with every disposal.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think? I think he is too slow
    I like the idea myself. I get the feeling Bailey just cruises. He has enormous natural ability but I wonder what his dedication is like. If he dedicated himself fully to getting the best out of himself he would be an awesome inside mid. His tough, a good size, good hands, a step, composure & a penetrating kick. Would have a defensive side to his game as well. I like the idea a lot!