Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  93
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Jack Macrae

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Macrae

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Libba looks like he's slowing down. He's contracted for next year but I'm betting he gets "rested" a fair bit, espcially towards the back half of the year.
    Would you see Sanders as a suitable stand-in for Libba?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    I think with Dunkley, Lipinsky and to a lesser extent Smith, it is more a matter of timing. They were all ready to go, but we weren't ready with a spot in the middle. We bring some talent in now, we still have a couple of years with Treloar and maybe one or two with Libba. Plenty of time for the next gen. midfield to assert themselves.
    Great post mate.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Thanks Uninformed thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Where is the talent going to come from?
    Midfield talent?

Bont and Richards are a good start.
    The club is negligent if they don't expand on the experimentation done with Weightman during the last pre-season. He is Isaac Heeney waiting to happen.
    Sanders is a top 10 pick who needs to play inside the game.

I don't think any of us have the faintest idea what Freijah could become...inside, outside, running defender...who knows.

We will draft again.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes SquirrelGrip, Uninformed, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Midfield talent?

The club is negligent if they don't expand on the experimentation done with Weightman during the last pre-season. He is Isaac Heeney waiting to happen.

I don't think any of us have the faintest idea what Freijah could become...inside, outside, running defender...who knows.

We will draft again.
    Freijah can become our next Bont. Not as good, but a similar type of powerful midfielder who also has wheels
    I’m so bloody excited about JF.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

7. Likes Uninformed, kickit2Koly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go -Williams and Freijah on the wings. Midfield combo of Bont, Treloar, Libba, Sanders, Richards, Weightman.
    Gallagher to the back pocket.

9. Likes Uninformed, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    Sanders obviously, perhaps Freijah to a wing, maybe Gallagher with another year, or Garcia. But I like the draft more than trading to bring in elite talent. With what we get for Smith, maybe a fluke late pick or rookie this year and next. Should be plenty of options. You want them young and then put a year or two into them to be up to speed.
    Agree.

We just haven?t had access to the draft and top end talent for an extended run in a while so while we keep middling like we are, the opportunity to ?just? bring in midfield talent isn?t exactly a strong current.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

11. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Midfield talent?

We will draft again.
    As well as pending Father Son picks in a couple of years time for midfielders.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be moving Freijah off half back flank yet, we were paralysed there in the final its an area we need some growth in and he can certainly provide that.

14. Likes bornadog, lemmon, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree.

We just haven?t had access to the draft and top end talent for an extended run in a while so while we keep middling like we are, the opportunity to ?just? bring in midfield talent isn?t exactly a strong current.
    Beg to differ we have had huge access to top end talent the last few years , JUH , Darcy , Croft , might be father/sons or NGA but you can?t get much better high end talent than them, considering our ladder position over the last few years it?s been huge. Also a number 6 last year in Sanders.
    What we get for Smith and Macrae would give us two first rounders also.
    Bring back the biff

16. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Beg to differ we have had huge access to top end talent the last few years , JUH , Darcy , Croft , might be father/sons or NGA but you can?t get much better high end talent than them, considering our ladder position over the last few years it?s been huge. Also a number 6 last year in Sanders.
    What we get for Smith and Macrae would give us two first rounders also.

Spot on Ledge, except Macrae will only yield a second/third rounder.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly SoS? Over many years we've tended to keep our first round selections and in fact we've got 14 first round picks on the list although a couple of them are in via trades and a couple of them have indicated they want to depart.

I agree that midfielders need to be the priority, we will have to wait and see if its via the draft or trades.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly SoS? Over many years we've tended to keep our first round selections and in fact we've got 14 first round picks on the list although a couple of them are in via trades and a couple of them have indicated they want to depart.

I agree that midfielders need to be the priority, we will have to wait and see if its via the draft or trades.
    Original comment was with the midfield in mind.

The way I see it, and I accept it’s a few seasons on now, we’ve used up a lot of capital on F/S and the like of JUH, not an inherently bad thing but as our midfield depth is starting to thin right out with departures of Macrae, Smith, potentially Garcia the opportunity cost grows. Feels to me that it’s been a fair length of time since we have had a chance to nail some elite midfield prospects, it is stretching out and there’s going to be shortfall soon.

There hasn’t been an appetite, or perhaps opportunity to lean into what we’ve got either, until this year when we saw Gallagher, Sanders and Garcia at a centre bounce together a few times and a clear shift towards giving them a crack at it. I just don’t see where the improvement is coming from beyond what we’ve already seen emerge this year and it’s not coming in via trades when we go for guys like Harmes (FFS).
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

20. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Original comment was with the midfield in mind.

The way I see it, and I accept it’s a few seasons on now, we’ve used up a lot of capital on F/S and the like of JUH, not an inherently bad thing but as our midfield depth is starting to thin right out with departures of Macrae, Smith, potentially Garcia the opportunity cost grows. Feels to me that it’s been a fair length of time since we have had a chance to nail some elite midfield prospects, it is stretching out and there’s going to be shortfall soon.

There hasn’t been an appetite, or perhaps opportunity to lean into what we’ve got either, until this year when we saw Gallagher, Sanders and Garcia at a centre bounce together a few times and a clear shift towards giving them a crack at it. I just don’t see where the improvement is coming from beyond what we’ve already seen emerge this year and it’s not coming in via trades when we go for guys like Harmes (FFS).
    We made a big move to secure pick 6 last year with midfield in mind. I am sure it is on Sam Powers to do list to get more elite mids. Just have to try and work out the best way with picks coming for Smith.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.