Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  65
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Port Adelaide - The Great Pretenders

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Port should tell the AFL to get stuffed - what a ****ing joke this is.
    Glad he copped a 20k fine just for being a dickhead, show a bit of class and not act like a school boy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Glad he copped a 20k fine just for being a dickhead, show a bit of class and not act like a school boy.
    For saying "looks like you aren't flying to Sydney"

Strange
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Hinkley should?ve got fined $1m for being a dork. Imagine narrowly escaping what would?ve been I believe his 19th straight sets exit at home a week after losing by 80 and thinking that it?s the time to talk shit to someone who was at least cool enough to do it before a game.
    Hinkley currently has a 6-7 record in finals. As a comparison, Bevo is currently sitting at 7-6, and none of Longmire or Chris Scott are in positive W/L in finals (bigger sample size to be fair to both). Hardwick is the only coach to have shot the lights out in finals (having peak Dusty helps a bit) and McCrae to a lesser extent.

As we all know only too well, making finals is hard enough let alone winning them. Hinkley just won a final with a bottom 7 consisting of Francis Evans, Josh Sinn, Jackson Mead, Logan Evans, Quinton Narkle, Lachie Jones and Will Lorenz. I totally get the "Hinkley is a dud in finals" narrative, but he doesn't exactly have a plethora of elite talent at his disposal. He absolutely coached the pants off the shiny new toy Sam Mitchell that everyone in media land has fallen in love with. Clearly he is marked much harder than most, and he (understandably) let off some steam in a moment after the siren on Friday night after copping more of the same from everyone in the AFEL industry as well as some pretty obvious disrespect from his opponent before the game.

He shouldn't have responded but it is not a hanging offence - it is definitely not a $20k fine offence IMO.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange
    Just for reacting, he just doesn't need to do it, and continually going on with it when their captain stepped in to stick up for his team mates, fair game for the players and opposition supporters over the fence to give it to Ginny 100%, but not the opposition coach, that's just shit, lacks class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Just for reacting, he just doesn't need to do it, and continually going on with it when their captain stepped in to stick up for his team mates, fair game for the players and opposition supporters over the fence to give it to Ginny 100%, but not the opposition coach, that's just shit, lacks class.
    It's an emotional game, and Ken knew he did the wrong thing and apologised. $20k is just an utter joke.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an emotional game, and Ken knew he did the wrong thing and apologised. $20k is just an utter joke.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this one BAD, it's the look of the game and to me, what he said is irrelevant when you have 100 camera angles and 500 media outlets reporting on it, it all filters down to the lower levels, and what if some bozo coach in some 4th grade league decides to do something similar and an all in brawl erupts as those things can happen, he continues to just smile at him to be a smart arse whilst lining up, just don't it.

As i mentioned before he copped the fine, he should actually be thanking Ginny for giving his team that extra motivation to play as well as they did to win the game as they wrote it up on the white board during the week, because they were horrid the week prior.

Post Thanks / Like

Strange
    He should have said it in the press conference if it needed to be said and not on the field when the guard of honor was being formed.
    His quick apology supports that.
    He probably shouldn't have been fined and at worst a suspended fine given his outstanding service as a coach with no priors. Clarkson as a comparison gets away with so much.

The Hawks were yesterdays news after the outstanding win and Ken should have just been giving his respect to Bruest and getting around his own boys.

Did anyone hear that lady on SEN this morning who described Mitchell as one of those parents who turn a blind eye to their kids poor behavior and then get all shitty when someone else takes them to account? She pretty much nailed it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes Sedat, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Hinkley currently has a 6-7 record in finals. As a comparison, Bevo is currently sitting at 7-6, and none of Longmire or Chris Scott are in positive W/L in finals (bigger sample size to be fair to both). Hardwick is the only coach to have shot the lights out in finals (having peak Dusty helps a bit) and McCrae to a lesser extent.

As we all know only too well, making finals is hard enough let alone winning them. Hinkley just won a final with a bottom 7 consisting of Francis Evans, Josh Sinn, Jackson Mead, Logan Evans, Quinton Narkle, Lachie Jones and Will Lorenz. I totally get the "Hinkley is a dud in finals" narrative, but he doesn't exactly have a plethora of elite talent at his disposal. He absolutely coached the pants off the shiny new toy Sam Mitchell that everyone in media land has fallen in love with. Clearly he is marked much harder than most, and he (understandably) let off some steam in a moment after the siren on Friday night after copping more of the same from everyone in the AFEL industry as well as some pretty obvious disrespect from his opponent before the game.

He shouldn't have responded but it is not a hanging offence - it is definitely not a $20k fine offence IMO.
    C’mon now. He’s literally the most tenured coach of all time to not make a grand final, I don’t care how many home semis he’s won he earned his reputation in blood. And I don’t buy that he coached the pants off anyone, if Sicily or Moore or Sicily again (who was somehow allowed continued free runs at the ball despite being obviously the only player who was any threat in the air given Calsher Dear wasn’t playing the Western Bulldogs so of course reverted back into a teenager) kick straight then he doesn’t have a job right now.

But it’s cool that he’s won whatever battle he convinced himself he was fighting with Ginnivan.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    C’mon now. He’s literally the most tenured coach of all time to not make a grand final, I don’t care how many home semis he’s won he earned his reputation in blood. And I don’t buy that he coached the pants off anyone, if Sicily or Moore or Sicily again (who was somehow allowed continued free runs at the ball despite being obviously the only player who was any threat in the air given Calsher Dear wasn’t playing the Western Bulldogs so of course reverted back into a teenager) kick straight then he doesn’t have a job right now.

But it’s cool that he’s won whatever battle he convinced himself he was fighting with Ginnivan.
    That's why he's under intense pressure most seasons, and that's fair enough. Rocket and Ross the Boss are gun coaches who haven't saluted the judges - Rocket only made 1 GF in his first year, but I would say his coaching in 2008/2009 especially were master classes against much better opposition, even if we lost both of those PF's.

Hawthorn had a vastly more talented 23 players on the weekend than Port - the game ended up close but it was played on Port's terms all night, and only #freekickhawthorn making a belated re-appearance since 2015 kept the scoreboard tight.

As for the Ginny stuff, coaches use what they need to motivate and inspire their players to get a positive result, Hinkley obviously did that on Friday night to great effect. I wish Bevo was able to get the same effect out of his players 7 days earlier - I wouldn't have cared how trite the inspiration was.

Post Thanks / Like

Ken Hinkley confirmed to coach in 2025

Post Thanks / Like

Ken Hinkley confirmed to coach in 2025
    Lol. Lmao even. These stupid idiots were so close.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Hinkley is a good coach.

Their list is ordinary. Look at their forward half - it has to be the worst in the top 8 by some margin. Dixon is cooked, Marshall sucks, Esava lol .... their only options are Rioli (gun small forward but not fit) and Georgiades (talented but probably more a third option in reality).

Their mid group is strong and they had damaging half backs, but Aliir and ZT aren't exactly star defenders.

The fact they keep finishing high is a testament to Hinkley. It's just unfortunate for him that in finals, their lack of talent has been exposed time and again.
    W00F!

17. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Hinkley is a good coach.

Their list is ordinary. Look at their forward half - it has to be the worst in the top 8 by some margin. Dixon is cooked, Marshall sucks, Esava lol .... their only options are Rioli (gun small forward but not fit) and Georgiades (talented but probably more a third option in reality).

Their mid group is strong and they had damaging half backs, but Aliir and ZT aren't exactly star defenders.

The fact they keep finishing high is a testament to Hinkley. It's just unfortunate for him that in finals, their lack of talent has been exposed time and again.
    They have a significant home ground advantage, also an extra game there now with gather round.

That should automatically be 8 wins.

I wish we had a home ground advantage.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

19. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Hinkley is a good coach.

Finals are really hard to win unless you are Hardwick and you have peak Dusty at your disposal. All of Fagan, Kingsley, Hinkley, Scott, Longmire and Bevo have finals records hovering around 50/50 or slightly under. Port's bottom 6-8 players in 2024 are bog average - not sure how anybody can't see this. We have spend endless hours here discussing the merits or otherwise of 2 players, VDM and McNeill in our team, but just this weekend Port fielded a team with such no-names as Francis Evans, Josh Sinn, Jackson Mead, Logan Evans, Quinton Narkle, Lachie Jones and Will Lorenz running around.

I guess when they lose they lose badly in finals, so it makes a bigger and more lasting negative impression. Or maybe the perception of Hinkley is clouded by him being an unfashionable old bogan from the bush, who doesn't 'relate' to the new generation - that perception is horseshit because he still has the players eating out of the palm of his hand.

21. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Finals are really hard to win unless you are Hardwick and you have peak Dusty at your disposal. All of Fagan, Kingsley, Hinkley, Scott, Longmire and Bevo have finals records hovering around 50/50 or slightly under. Port's bottom 6-8 players in 2024 are bog average - not sure how anybody can't see this. We have spend endless hours here discussing the merits or otherwise of 2 players, VDM and McNeill in our team, but just this weekend Port fielded a team with such no-names as Francis Evans, Josh Sinn, Jackson Mead, Logan Evans, Quinton Narkle, Lachie Jones and Will Lorenz running around.

I guess when they lose they lose badly in finals, so it makes a bigger and more lasting negative impression. Or maybe the perception of Hinkley is clouded by him being an unfashionable old bogan from the bush, who doesn't 'relate' to the new generation - that perception is horseshit because he still has the players eating out of the palm of his hand.
    They were also a younger team than Hawks with fewer average games as well. He has done well.