Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs season review: Luke Beveridge under pressure again after finals disappointment

Western Bulldogs season review: Luke Beveridge under pressure again after finals disappointment

The coach is under pressure. Stars want out. And another season which promised so much ended with disappointment. How do the Bulldogs finally turn talent into success in 2025?

An indifferent start to the year and a disappointing end to the season.

It?s a story the Western Bulldogs have told often in recent years and again in 2024, the Dogs threatened to be a genuine flag contender but didn?t go deep enough in September.

A host of industry people believe the Dogs have a list that should be contending for a flag, and a host also think the depth is an issue.

And now that is set to take a hit, with stalwart Jack Macrae and midfielder Bailey Smith asking to leave ahead of trade period.

More could come.

The Dogs still have Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar and Tom Liberatore in the middle, Bailey Dale, Liam Jones and an impressive Rory Lobb in defence, and a forward line boasting Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman and young tyro Sam Darcy.

That is the backbone of a very good team, if coach Luke Beveridge can find the right mix around them.

That has been an issue in the past and good coaching teams get the best out of those on the edges and build a system that helps them.

The moves of Lobb back and Ed Richards into the middle were excellent, but ruck Tim English stalled.

The Dogs need to pull it all together instead of wasting another year of Bontempelli?s prime.

OFF-SEASON MOVES
    The Bulldogs are set to be one of the busiest teams in trade period this off-season.

Everyone is talking about the exodus at Richmond, but there are already two high-profile Dogs requesting trades, with more expected to leave.

Bailey Smith has confirmed the worst-kept trade secret in recent days, requesting a trade, while Jack Macrae followed suit despite being contract for a further three seasons.

While neither midfielder has nominated a club of choice, Geelong is expected to land Smith and have been linked with Macrae, who also has St Kilda as an interested party.

Caleb Daniel is also weighing up his future after stints in the VFL and as the sub, while Riley Garcia has interest elsewhere.

It gives the Bulldogs a real chance of adding further young talent to its ageing core.

The Bulldogs will demand a bounty for the out-of-contract Smith, who is expected to head down the highway for at least a first-round pick, plus more.

Given Geelong?s current first rounder will likely end up in the 20s, the Bulldogs should be starting talks by asking for two first rounders.

Macrae seems a more simple trade despite being contracted, with mid-to-late picks likely enough to get the deal done for the 30-year-old.

If Daniel decides he wants to move, he?ll have a bevy of suitors as a classy user at 28 years old, and would be worth a pick somewhere in the second round.

The positive here is the platform a bunch of picks this year can set, with draftees Joel Freijah and Ryley Sanders expected to step forward again next year, first-round pick Jedd Busslinger serving his apprenticeship and 21-year-old Sam Darcy ready to explode.

Youngsters are great but they often don?t help teams win finals, so adding more youth usually points to a small step backwards.

COACHING CALL
    Beveridge is never able to get off the hot seat.

Even after making finals, the blowback for the Dogs was fierce after the elimination final.

The best coach in club history, Beveridge is contracted next year but clubs are always squeamish about entering a season with a coach in the final year of a deal.

The Dogs have stood behind their man over the years and will have to ask themselves the question over summer whether they need to lock him away to avoid the scrutiny.

Jumping early just to appease those outside the club has backfired many times, maybe this is one case where it is worth keeping that hot seat turned on.

WAY TOO EARLY PREDICTION: 7th (14-9)

DOG FUTURES IN DOUBT

The Dogs signed up Buku Khamis, Taylor Duryea and Lachie McNeil recently, leaving them with only a short list of players out of contract. The trade futures of Macrae, Smith, Daniel and Garcia will impact who stays and who goes.

Alex Keath ? Started the year with a knee problem but is now behind Liam Jones, Rory Lobb, James O?Donnell and Buku Khamis. Hard to see him going on. Verdict: Going

Bailey Smith ? He has requested a trade, and while he?s yet to nominate a club, it?s wildly expected he lands at Geelong for a couple of early selections. Verdict: Going

Charlie Clarke ? Made his debut in round 8 against the Hawks but didn?t play again in 2024. Highly popular and worth another go around. Verdict: Staying

Dominic Bedendo ? Two games, both in 2022, after four seasons at the club has Bedendo on the hot seat. Verdict: Going

Jason Johannisen ? Injuries limited the Norm Smith medallist to just the first nine games of the season. Johannisen is eager for a one-year deal to extend his career, but if it doesn?t come at the Dogs he?ll hang up his boots. Verdict: In the air

Kelsey Rypstra ? A mid-season draftee, Rypstra played five VFL games and kicked three goals. A light-framed small forward, Rypstra should get an extra year for development. Verdict: Staying

Riley Garcia ? Too good to be hidden away in the VFL, Garcia is being chased by Port Adelaide, among others. Time for better opportunities. Verdict: Going

2. Thanks azabob, jeemak, josie, Sedat, Uninformed, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs season review: Luke Beveridge under pressure again after finals disappointment

We review all seasons so it's hardly bigger news and given the contract position for Beveridge that's also going to make the headlines.
    It's a shame we couldn't come to terms with Garcia.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs season review: Luke Beveridge under pressure again after finals disappointment

It's all so dramatic. So much pressure, stars leaving. Can't we just ****ing chill out for a bit? The season is exhausting enough.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We review all seasons so it's hardly bigger news and given the contract position for Beveridge that's also going to make the headlines.
    It's a shame we couldn't come to terms with Garcia.
    I find this statement puzzling.

He's been the first one dropped continuously whenever we lose so it's pretty clear Bevo has him behind the likes of Gallagher, VDM and McNeil in the high forward/ wing role and he's never really been able to break into the midfield, which has performed well, but is aging.

It sounds like there's no offer on the table so what terms are there to come to?

6. Likes josie, MrMahatma, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're definitely stripping out some of our depth if all these blokes leave. The draft is always a lottery. Hopefully we find some mids ready to go. A few with the composure and seeming upside of Freijah would refresh us. But it's hard to see us being able to bring in the quality of Smith, Macrae, Daniel, Garcia all in one draft. That said, we need a refresh through the middle. I think Libba is on his last legs. Similar to Macrae & Daneil. Not cause they're not good enough, but we need a different set up.

RE: The article. It's interesting that coaches seem to never get credit for developing players into "talent". I mean, who's to say that if some of these guys who are considered great - EG: Bailey Dale... maybe they'd be on the scrap heap at other clubs?

8. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

He's been the first one dropped continuously whenever we lose so it's pretty clear Bevo has him behind the likes of Gallagher, VDM and McNeil in the high forward/ wing role and he's never really been able to break into the midfield, which has performed well, but is aging.

It sounds like there's no offer on the table so what terms are there to come to?
    It’s annoying me more and more with each passing day. He’s the best available and cost effective player to address our flashing red weakness, more than Peatling and NOD and honestly if you look at it with speed in mind only more than Houston, yet we’re seemingly doing everything we can to ship him off.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

It's pretty much what I'm saying. My strong preference would be to both keep him and utilise his talents better. We can't expect him to wait around and hope things fall his way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    We're definitely stripping out some of our depth if all these blokes leave. The draft is always a lottery. Hopefully we find some mids ready to go. A few with the composure and seeming upside of Freijah would refresh us. But it's hard to see us being able to bring in the quality of Smith, Macrae, Daniel, Garcia all in one draft. That said, we need a refresh through the middle. I think Libba is on his last legs. Similar to Macrae & Daneil. Not cause they're not good enough, but we need a different set up.

RE: The article. It's interesting that coaches seem to never get credit for developing players into "talent". I mean, who's to say that if some of these guys who are considered great - EG: Bailey Dale... maybe they'd be on the scrap heap at other clubs?
    This is my biggest concern if Daniel and Garcia leave ontop of Macrae and Smith. Ideally, I would have liked to keep Macrae and trade out Daniel.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty much what I'm saying. My strong preference would be to both keep him and utilise his talents better. We can't expect him to wait around and hope things fall his way
    I would like to keep him as well, but I must say he has had a poor year. He had a couple of good games in the VFL, but at AFL level he was disappointing.

His game on Saturday against Southport should have been alot better and he should have dominated
    at that level.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would like to keep him as well, but I must say he has had a poor year. He had a couple of good games in the VFL, but at AFL level he was disappointing.

His game on Saturday against Southport should have been alot better and he should have dominated
    at that level.
    Are you talking about Harmes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Are you talking about Harmes?
    Garcia
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m hoping Harmes can still play well for us. He was very good in that game mid season against Giants. Injuries didn’t help him this year. Perhaps if we modify our strategy about generally not tagging then he can become a tagger who can still win his own ball.

I’d like Garcia to stay too but wondering if there’s something in the works with WA side (trade players & some pick swaps) we haven’t heard about.

18. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I’m hoping Harmes can still play well for us. He was very good in that game mid season against Giants. Injuries didn’t help him this year. Perhaps if we modify our strategy about generally not tagging then he can become a tagger who can still win his own ball.

I’d like Garcia to stay too but wondering if there’s something in the works with WA side (trade players & some pick swaps) we haven’t heard about.
    Injuries or not Harmes hasn't played anywhere near how I hoped and I don't think he is the heart and soul player we thought he might be. He could very well prove me wrong but if there was an escape clause in his contract I'd give it some strong consideration.
    He really needs to lift his work rate and standards.

Post Thanks / Like

Injuries or not Harmes hasn't played anywhere near how I hoped and I don't think he is the heart and soul player we thought he might be. He could very well prove me wrong but if there was an escape clause in his contract I'd give it some strong consideration.
    He really needs to lift his work rate and standards.
    That's actually quite difficult when you're not a very good player.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

21. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thing from the pundits that we have a list to 'contend for a premiership' and under perform because of the head coach is just headline grabbing.

We were contending until Hawthorn beat us. But to suggest that our list is better than Brisbane, GWS, Sydney, Geelong or Port Adelaide is nonsense. We are better in some parts of the ground, but worse in others. Same could be said comparing us with Hawthorn and Collingwood.

The competition is very even, as evidenced by the gap between second and tenth.

That 'stars are leaving' is also rubbish. Baz has his own reasons and, great though he is, Jack may not be quick enough - as witnessed by his lack of games this year.

Turnover is necessary for renewal.

23. Likes jeemak liked this post