Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: While others zig, should we zag?

The Match Committee didn’t select him so he left. I think the MC/Coach had a bigger role than whoever the nay sayers were on here

Agreed the selection committee made him the all time emergency for what, 2 years. No wonder he was disillusioned and left. My other point however is the comments of absolute derision made on here which have, to a degree, proven unjustified and devoid of any admission of even slight error.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I have always felt that a team should develop a game plan that maximises the strengths that they have on their list.

It is futile to just copy someone else.

We need a game that suits our strength in contested marking and we need to demand our talls be active in creating options for ball carriers.

Totally agree BJ. When Rocket came to the club he noted we didn't have the big FF, but we had alot of pacey players so he changed the game plan to move the ball quickly and get the ball to the small forwards. Results were pretty good, and I recal the Brisbane match in 2005 when we suddenly clicked and we were running in waves.

Our three prong attack kicked 116 goals this year - JUH 43, Darcy 38 and Naughton 35, so I feel tweaking needs to be more up the ground with wingers and half back flanks and the mix of the mids where we need another Richards ie pace..
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Uninformed, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Totally agree BJ. When Rocket came to the club he noted we didn't have the big FF, but we had alot of pacey players so he changed the game plan to move the ball quickly and get the ball to the small forwards. Results were pretty good, and I recal the Brisbane match in 2005 when we suddenly clicked and we were running in waves.

Our three prong attack kicked 116 goals this year - JUH 43, Darcy 38 and Naughton 35, so I feel tweaking needs to be more up the ground with wingers and half back flanks and the mix of the mids where we need another Richards ie pace..
    Yep. We gotta get it into them.

Our good games we had 60 to 40 inside 50s our way. Against Port and Hawthorn it was that the other way.

Still not sure why that happened. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    Yep. We gotta get it into them.

Our good games we had 60 to 40 inside 50s our way. Against Port and Hawthorn it was that the other way.

Still not sure why that happened. Any ideas?
    Didn't you know it is all Tim's fault

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    How can a forward line of Jamara, Naughton and Darcy not completely dominate?

It all comes down to the middle of the ground, of which Tim is a part of that, but not all of it.

Our wheel of re-invention should be to continue to develop the path we are on, it started this year and still needs work, lets not throw it out because we lost a final against a side that seriously took some beating.
    Yep? this is where my thinking was heading. In theory, we have a forward line that not many teams can go with ? taller players don?t get smaller and all of that.

I also think we?ve got some serious intercept capability in the back half, I get a lot of teams do this well, but with Lobb and Buku, we have some options.

Our wings is also an area we could see some improvement. JOD on paper is quite different to a lot of wing players in the AFL with his height and ability in the air potentially at both ends.

Maybe our fitness is another one? We showed improvement here in 2024.

Is there a game plan or ball movement thing we can do? With our forward line height it gives us an advantage in 6:6:6 maybe? Can we exploit that?

I?ve got no answers but I think we?ve got some stuff we could do that?s a bit different to what others are or will seek to do. I?d love to see us embrace it.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

8. Likes josie, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    How can a forward line of Jamara, Naughton and Darcy not completely dominate?

It all comes down to the middle of the ground, of which Tim is a part of that, but not all of it.

Our wheel of re-invention should be to continue to develop the path we are on, it started this year and still needs work, lets not throw it out because we lost a final against a side that seriously took some beating.
    It is also the case that those 3 together in the fwd line have no nous or leading patterns when it comes to each other. Look at McKay/curnow?.hawkins/cameron?.VERY RARELY are they both flying for the same ball. They know how to lead, and where to lead, to create space, and these leading patterns not only help each other, but also brings players like Owies etc into the frame.

Our amount of inside 50?s compared to the % of score we actually get from them, show how dysfunctional our fwd line can be. What also annoys me (and hinders shots on goal) is when I see Jamarra or Naughton leading to the wrong sided pocket, pretty much dropping their goal chances below 30%.

Also, for those 3 fwds in the 50, we don?t take anywhere near the amount of contested marks we should. I tear my hair out when I see Stewart, Sicily, Lever, Aalir etc take contested defensive marks against these guys, with sometimes two of our key fwds in the marking pack.

This needs to massively improve.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When the fast accurate kicking into the forward worked it was a awesome to watch.

Coupled with great goals from the backmen and wing in Gilbee, Rohan smith and Eagleton, really enjoyed the fast goal kicking games.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    It is also the case that those 3 together in the fwd line have no nous or leading patterns when it comes to each other. Look at McKay/curnow?.hawkins/cameron?.VERY RARELY are they both flying for the same ball. They know how to lead, and where to lead, to create space, and these leading patterns not only help each other, but also brings players like Owies etc into the frame.

Our amount of inside 50?s compared to the % of score we actually get from them, show how dysfunctional our fwd line can be. What also annoys me (and hinders shots on goal) is when I see Jamarra or Naughton leading to the wrong sided pocket, pretty much dropping their goal chances below 30%.

Also, for those 3 fwds in the 50, we don?t take anywhere near the amount of contested marks we should. I tear my hair out when I see Stewart, Sicily, Lever, Aalir etc take contested defensive marks against these guys, with sometimes two of our key fwds in the marking pack.

This needs to massively improve.
    I don't agree at all. We were the second highest scoring team for the H&A rounds. Our three forwards kicked 116 goals, Weightman and West 50.

Our game plan is to lock the ball inside 50 and it gets crowded and hard to score even more than we have.

Our issue is when we play some good teams like the Brisbane, Port games (and Hawks final) where we couldn't get the ball inside 50. We need a solution to counter this, especially from the backline going forward, when teams stop our movement forward.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at that game. Oh what a delight! We cleared out a whole bay of Brisbane Supporters by the end!

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I was at that game. Oh what a delight! We cleared out a whole bay of Brisbane Supporters by the end!
    Was a great game. Suddenly it all clicked and supporters couldn't believe what they were seeing.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree at all. We were the second highest scoring team for the H&A rounds. Our three forwards kicked 116 goals, Weightman and West 50.

Our game plan is to lock the ball inside 50 and it gets crowded and hard to score even more than we have.

Our issue is when we play some good teams like the Brisbane, Port games (and Hawks final) where we couldn't get the ball inside 50. We need a solution to counter this, especially from the backline going forward, when teams stop our movement forward.
    And that’s cool….if our fwd line was better, we would be the best scoring team in the AFL

And how often do we lock it in and generate scores from that.
    Doesn’t it frustrate you to see our left footers leading to the wrong pocket ? It happens more than not…or when our 2-3 KPF are all flying for the mark, with on occasion, Weightman as well. We need a Fwd coach is knows how to lead, where to lead. Our fwds May lack space but they certainly don’t work together to generate space…just my opinion ofcourse.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

And the point you made earlier about the Hawthorn smalls stopping us get it out of their forward line and then chipping it around to keep possession.

But what is the solution to us not getting it in there against some teams when we dominate that stat. against other teams with good midfields. Are the midfields of Port, Crows, Lions and Hawks just better than ours? (I assume you were joking when you said it was Tim's fault.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    The Match Committee didn’t select him so he left. I think the MC/Coach had a bigger role than whoever the nay sayers were on here

Agreed the selection committee made him the all time emergency for what, 2 years. No wonder he was disillusioned and left. My other point however is the comments of absolute derision made on here which have, to a degree, proven unjustified and devoid of any admission of even slight error.
    Jordon (yes Jordon) Sweet has one good game in a final and we’re all ****s. Good times.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    And the point you made earlier about the Hawthorn smalls stopping us get it out of their forward line and then chipping it around to keep possession.

But what is the solution to us not getting it in there against some teams when we dominate that stat. against other teams with good midfields. Are the midfields of Port, Crows, Lions and Hawks just better than ours? (I assume you were joking when you said it was Tim's fault.)
    I wish I could answer you on why against those teams we didn't play well. Crows game was different, we had the ball in the forward line 59 times to Crows 43 but we just couldn't finish off and kick goals.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could answer you on why against those teams we didn't play well. Crows game was different, we had the ball in the forward line 59 times to Crows 43 but we just couldn't finish off and kick goals.
    Sorry. I read it as the other way around. Didn't seem right with the Crows.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of system issue. We looked so good against the midfields of Swans, Geelong and Carlton. But then Port and Hawthorn hammer us and the Lions had us covered.

Taking Port. I don't see Rozee, Butters, JHF, and Wines as 60 to 40 better than Bont. Libba, Adz. and Ed. So it must be system?