Thanks Thanks:  184
Likes Likes:  1,425
Page 132 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3282122123124125126127128129130131132133 LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 1982

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    We all saw how that panned out for North. They are still suffering from his maleficent culling of too many senior players.

Brett Harvey's exit was pretty ordinary. He did not deserve that.
    Hawthorn basically did the same thing...they seem fine.

Like you I thought Hawthorn cut too deep...but they have bounced back pretty quickly (at least on evidence from the past few months). North couldn't (and haven't) recovered...

This stuff is more art than science and getting players who want to support one another AND believe in their coach/plan is the 'art'.

I mean, Sheezel is awesome, everyone loves LDU and Larkey, they have that Wardlaw character who I like, people think Xerri should have been the AA ruck...and they suck. It isn't as easy as getting in good players (though it helps) and it isn't as clear cut as implementing a so-called 'no DH' policy.

The truth is players are just 'better' when they are lining up alongside other blokes they believe in...creating that belief is the trick.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Like you I thought Hawthorn cut too deep...but they have bounced back pretty quickly (at least on evidence from the past few months). North couldn't (and haven't) recovered...

This stuff is more art than science and getting players who want to support one another AND believe in their coach/plan is the 'art'.

I mean, Sheezel is awesome, everyone loves LDU and Larkey, they have that Wardlaw character who I like, people think Xerri should have been the AA ruck...and they suck. It isn't as easy as getting in good players (though it helps) and it isn't as clear cut as implementing a so-called 'no DH' policy.

The truth is players are just 'better' when they are lining up alongside other blokes they believe in...creating that belief is the trick.
    I think that the leadership of Breust, Gunston, Sicily, Frost, Impey as their 30+ year olds was a lot more significant than McDonald, Simpkin, Corr, Greenwood, and probably played a bigger part in the 'belief' component you talked about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Hawks cleared 10 back in 2018 after the finals and it has taken 6 years to make the finals again. Not an easy task.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I think that the leadership of Breust, Gunston, Sicily, Frost, Impey as their 30+ year olds was a lot more significant than McDonald, Simpkin, Corr, Greenwood, and probably played a bigger part in the 'belief' component you talked about.
    Hawks leadership = mostly developed at Hawthorn
    Half the north guys are trade ins.

There's no logic to it but I really believe you draft and develop your core. I've made the same criticisms of St Kilda too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The amazing thing is they also went to GWS v Saints last year...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    The amazing thing is they also went to GWS v Saints last year...
    They are so full of themselves they don’t see how idiotic it looks and is.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

AFL Integrity warns Essendon over Nick Hind and Jake Stringer's associates

AFL Integrity has warned Essendon to be vigilant over who it allows into its change rooms after concerns were raised about players? associates.

It's believed the Bombers were warned to be aware of associates of recently delisted Bomber Nick Hind, who is known to have a shared friendship group with teammate Jake Stringer.

It's believed the associates regularly attend Essendon matches and were seen in the Bombers? rooms more than once this season.

The AFL confirmed to the Herald Sun it had advised a club that friends of a player were not welcome in the club's inner-sanctum, but would not confirm the club or the player.

The league did not disclose the reason the warning was issued.

The Bombers have been contacted for comment.

Stringer, 30, is reported to be in a stand-off with the Bombers and despite being contracted for another season, he is exploring a possible trade.

The Herald Sun understands that rival clubs are aware of the situation with Stringer, his friends and AFL Integrity.

After being linked to Collingwood in a possible trade, reports emerged that the Pies have cooled their interest in the dynamic forward.

Sydney is reported to the frontrunner if a Stringer trade plays out.

In an interview with the Herald Sun in May, Stringer said he began exploring Islam when he met a Muslim man at a sponsor's barbecue in December last year.

The man invited Stringer to attend a mosque in Sunshine.

?I talk to him every day and see him most days since then,? Stringer said of the relationship.

?The guys there have been massive for me this year, just helping me to find a very good balance. Their brotherhood is amazing and it's something I've loved from the moment I met them.??

The AFL stepping in to ban an associate of a player is rare. In 2013, Richmond's Jake King was advised to not bring bikie underworld figure Toby Mitchell into the rooms after Mitchell was seen in the inner sanctum after the club's round 20 win against the Brisbane Lions.

It prompted the Tigers to tell King the association was unacceptable.

Then-AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said King's decision to invite Mitchell into the club's rooms was ?pretty stupid? and, separately, raised concerns about undesirable people potentially ?infiltrating? the code.

King tested Richmond's patience when he was seen twice in public with the former bikie enforcer in the ensuing months.

Outgoing Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale conceded the club could not specifically ban King from associating with Mitchell.

"We've brought it to Jake's attention that he should think long and hard about those sorts of friendships and connections and associations," Gale said.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't let Jake's friends near the lockers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Don't let Jake's friends near the lockers!
    He never changes does he
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The tasteful and totally needless linking of vague concerns around Stringer's undesirable mates with Islam is some sweet dog whistling from that particular paper of repute.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

12. Likes EasternWest, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    The tasteful and totally needless linking of vague concerns around Stringer's undesirable mates with Islam is some sweet dog whistling from that particular paper of repute.
    Yes it's very "we'll just leave this link here" when there's absolutely no evidence given correlating the two.

It's a story, but they made it THAT story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Saw that. Didn't even bother clicking the link to see which paper it was

Post Thanks / Like

Can't really add to the above........
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it ever stop ?
    I see Essendon already pushing memberships for next year and price hiking to the extreme.
    Fans are turning against them, calling them a money grabbing club whose only interest in the average fan is how much they can get out of their wallet.
    Bomber twitter fans are losing their minds over it.
    To the extent of the cost to go to their B&F . Is way over the top for a fan.
    Bring back the biff