Thanks Thanks:  109
Likes Likes:  664
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 256566676869707172737475
Results 1,111 to 1,121 of 1121
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Rumours 2024

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    VFL players worry me. The difference in standard is huge to AFL
    Most of the Fothergill-Mitchell-Round (most promising young player) Medalists have ended up on AFL lists in past 20 or so years. Of course some are busts but some of the successes have been Fritsch, Luke Ryan, Michael Barlow along with solid players like Nic Newman, Jake Riccardi, Kane Lambert, Michael Hibberd. Last years medalist Sam Clohsey played 20 games for the Suns this year.

Although he was a bit older Mannagh is looking like a success for Geelong.

Ignore the state leagues at your peril.

2. Likes lemmon, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If we get Tomlinson then I?m convinced that the recruiting team are reading my messages and deliberately picking up players I think suck as a bit.
    Did I hear you say Butters is a hack and you hope he never steps foot inside Whitten Oval?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Most of the Fothergill-Mitchell-Round (most promising young player) Medalists have ended up on AFL lists in past 20 or so years. Of course some are busts but some of the successes have been Fritsch, Luke Ryan, Michael Barlow along with solid players like Nic Newman, Jake Riccardi, Kane Lambert, Michael Hibberd. Last years medalist Sam Clohsey played 20 games for the Suns this year.

Although he was a bit older Mannagh is looking like a success for Geelong.

Ignore the state leagues at your peril.
    I hear what you are saying, my concern I guess is based on VFL players we have promoted to senior list.

Hopefully recruiters can pick the talent
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to ask the question to DeKoning at Geelong. Did not get picked for the Prelim and is exactly the type of player we need.

Could it be a swap for Smith?

We need to do what they do to other clubs. We have a bit of coin left over and he is only 22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    We need to ask the question to DeKoning at Geelong. Did not get picked for the Prelim and is exactly the type of player we need.

We need to do what they do to other clubs. We have a bit of coin left over and he is only 22.
    Are you looking at him as a potential backman to replace Jones?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no fox footy told me everyone loves it down there. So much so that there's highly rated recent draftees that are quietly awesome but can't get a game. They're just biding their time for 10yrs until the current mids retire. It's so awesome down there they're willing to play vfl for 10yrs.

Post Thanks / Like

“Surely he is gettable”: Cornes questions Sam De Koning situation at Geelong

Why is nobody speaking about Geelong’s Sam De Koning in trade circles?

That’s what Kane Cornes wants to know with the young key defender out of contract next year and unable to force his way into the Cats’ best 22 for the finals.

De Koning, 23, has missed games late in the season due to a knee injury but is fit now and still Chris Scott hasn’t called on him for this weekend’s Preliminary Final against Brisbane despite the presence of Joe Daniher.

The De Koning situation has prompted Cornes to wonder why his name has not been thrown up in trade period conversations even after starring in the 2022 premiership campaign.

“No one has spoken about him,” Cornes said on SEN’s Sportsday.

“We’re talking about players who are contracted for years on end. I’ve heard about (Chad) Warner and the players coming out of contract next year, and here is a guy that looked ready to explode in 2022.

“You’d just put his magnet at centre half-back for 10 years. I haven’t hard one person mention him as a potential trade target when he’s not in Geelong’s best side right now and may miss out on a premiership.

“Surely he is gettable.”

AFL Media’s Josh Gabelich insisted that Carlton, where Sam’s older brother Tom plays, has shown interest, however, the Cats have made it clear that their athletic 204cm player is going nowhere.

“I’ve done some digging on it. Carlton have asked the question in the past, they would love to reunite the brothers,” said Gabelich.

“They’ve been told that under no circumstances will Sam De Koning be traded from the Cats this October.”

Cornes feels that with the money being thrown around for key defenders in recent times - think Ben McKay at Essendon and Mac Andrew at Gold Coast - that De Koning could put himself in a position to cash in elsewhere.

“What about next year when he comes out of contract if he’s still not playing?,” Cornes said.

“He’s only got until the end of next year which is smart from him. Just do not sign. When you are looking at Ben McKay getting $1.2 (million), c’mon, he’s a more valuable commodity than what Ben McKay is.”

Gabelich replied: “The knee injury came at a bad time.”

Cornes continued: “But last year he wasn’t great either and now he’s not playing. It’s amazing.

“It hurts if you miss (another flag). His brother is at Carlton and if they came with a huge cheque, which Geelong don’t often part with, and what you are getting for key defenders in the game.

“He is the most valuable key defender right now, with Mac Andrew gone, that I think is gettable at the end of, if not this year, then next.

“Tom Stewart didn’t play (in the Qualifying Final) and he still didn’t get a game. Amazing.”

Cornes doubled down on his opinion on SEN Breakfast on Friday morning.

He feels rival clubs, particularly the Blues, should be putting in the work just as Hawthorn coach Sam Mitchell did in luring Tom Barrass from West Coast and Josh Battle from St Kilda.

“You would be negligent as a footy club, and Carlton is the one, not to be picking up the phone and doing everything that Sam Mitchell has done to go for Barrass and Battle,” he said further.

“If you’re not in the best 22 when it comes to finals time and the potential to miss a Grand Final, I’d be doing everything I can.

“The key defender market has never been more lucrative and I’d be putting a serious deal in front of him.”

The Cats, without De Koning, meet the Lions at the MCG on Saturday as they look to progress to a third Grand Final in five years.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody is talking about de Koning because #CoAsTaLLiFeSTyLe of course
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to someone when heading back from the Ballarat game and she mentioned that Carlton will make a big play for Sam at the end of the season so don't be surprised if they miss on Houston that they offer Geelong a bit for him.

I can't see Geelong considering a SDK swap for Smith.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I talked to someone when heading back from the Ballarat game and she mentioned that Carlton will make a big play for Sam at the end of the season so don't be surprised if they miss on Houston that they offer Geelong a bit for him.

I can't see Geelong considering a SDK swap for Smith.
    His old man played at the Bulldogs so that should count for something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Welcome to Collingwood Sam Davidson
    This inexplicably teleported me all the way back to Tom Davidson so uh, thanks?
    BORDERLINE FLYING