Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  55
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Week three Finals - Prelims

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Dunks now im 4 GF

What a career his had.
    It’s easy when you jump ship to play for teams in contention.

Personally I think his soft shell tacos are crap.

2. Likes bornadog, azabob, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, a helpful way of maintaining some skin in the game during finals series we're absent from is spite.

Hawks choke on their hubris ✔
    Cats dispatched ✔
    Dunkley to chalk up his 3rd grand final loss ��

Go you Bloods.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    It?s easy when you jump ship to play for teams in contention.

Personally I think his soft shell tacos are crap.
    We were in contention when he left. Weren?t we?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Nah hitouts and ruckmen don't matter

To me the difference between big O and Daniher was the post contest stuff, and that's where the improvement came from for the Lions when he went off. Daniher was able to crash and bash more.

So again, it was the stuff that English doesn't do which changed the game.
    Tend to agree, maybe they won't need Fort and just go with Daniher and play a smaller forward line, never been a fan of both Hipwood and Daniher together as forwards anyway, always wondered what Danhier would have been like trialed as a key defender as he could have been as good as Moore, Andrews, McGovern etc as he's been too hit and miss and mighty selfish at times but that's another discussion for another day, personally don't think they play Oscar, too much of a risk and probably won't be effective enough with that shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like

The apologists are out for Geelong today, citing staff members with COVID, Holmes having gastro that may have caused fatigue and subsequent soft tissue injury. Then there's the King incident.

Would love to imagine the same coming our way if we blew a 25 point lead to lose a preliminary final, in a six goal turnaround. Pretty hard to see our coach avoid being pilloried for that outcome irrespective of the mitigating circumstances. Not sure how a master coach like Chris Scott could have let that happen.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The apologists are out for Geelong today, citing staff members with COVID, Holmes having gastro that may have caused fatigue and subsequent soft tissue injury. Then there's the King incident.

Would love to imagine the same coming our way if we blew a 25 point lead to lose a preliminary final, in a six goal turnaround. Pretty hard to see our coach avoid being pilloried for that outcome irrespective of the mitigating circumstances. Not sure how a master coach like Chris Scott could have let that happen.
    I love Bevo for what he achieved for us in 2016 but I’ll take Chris Scott’s achievements over Bevo’s any day. What yesterday’s result and the Kardinia park result shows we have a more talented list and they are better coached. That Holmes injury hurt them more than the big O to Brisbane. Their midfield isn’t a patch on ours, yet they were very close to another GF.
    It was depressing for me more than anything as we are no where near the level of footy of the past 2 weeks and I don’t know where our improvement is coming from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    I love Bevo for what he achieved for us in 2016 but I’ll take Chris Scott’s achievements over Bevo’s any day. What yesterday’s result and the Kardinia park result shows we have a more talented list and they are better coached. That Holmes injury hurt them more than the big O to Brisbane. Their midfield isn’t a patch on ours, yet they were very close to another GF.
    It was depressing for me more than anything as we are no where near the level of footy of the past 2 weeks and I don’t know where our improvement is coming from.
    What value do you place on a true home ground advantage?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What value do you place on a true home ground advantage?
    Sorry I’m not what this has got to do with yesterday’s game or our season.
    I know yesterday wasn’t home ground advantage to either. Home state advantage. We didn’t get it in the ef but we wouldn’t have won at Marvel either.
    I know Geelong will probably land B Smith so they recognise midfield is an area of need and are trying to improve there. What are we doing?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that is as deep as the club and media look. Pressure on a club is a good thing and pressure on us 12 months back got us looking closely at out footy department set-up and saw us implementing a better structure with a GM and a new Sports science guy.

If Geelong think they are the reasons they're not in the GF well that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha. After all the legups they get just to allow themselves to be there thr media still find a way to make excuses for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I’m not what this has got to do with yesterday’s game or our season.
    I know yesterday wasn’t home ground advantage to either. Home state advantage. We didn’t get it in the ef but we wouldn’t have won at Marvel either.
    I know Geelong will probably land B Smith so they recognise midfield is an area of need and are trying to improve there. What are we doing?
    It isn't about yesterday's game but you saying you would take Chris Scotts achievements over Bevo's - which on paper is hard to argue.

Do you think that having a standalone home ground gives Scott a competitive advantage over Beveridge?

We tried to get Barras and Pettling to improve our list, but as always we struggle to land players of substance.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It isn't about yesterday's game but you saying you would take Chris Scotts achievements over Bevo's - which on paper is hard to argue.

Do you think that having a standalone home ground gives Scott a competitive advantage over Beveridge?

We tried to get Barras and Pettling to improve our list, but as always we struggle to land players of substance.
    Aza, we need a sports psychologist. Alot of our losses was to do with head space as we have the talent. However, we need to think of the future as the mids age and the list starts to get older.

If we can nail some good draft picks and maybe trade in a decent player for needs, plus there will be further improvement in youngsters Sanders, Freijah, Gallagher, Buzz, Darcy, JUH we can be a threat.

We must aim for top 4.

PS: I do think Geelong have a big home advantage as shown over many seasons.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Aza, we need a sports psychologist. Alot of our losses was to do with head space as we have the talent. However, we need to think of the future as the mids age and the list starts to get older.

If we can nail some good draft picks and maybe trade in a decent player for needs, plus there will be further improvement in youngsters Sanders, Freijah, Gallagher, Buzz, Darcy, JUH we can be a threat.

We must aim for top 4.

I agree with a lot of this however, the greater focus should be on playing more games at the MCG during the H&A season.We need to play around 4 games there before any finals
    It's all good and well to get a double chance and a theoretical home ground advantaged but if the game gets moved to the G we may not have much of an advantage at all.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

So us beating them by nine goals and them throwing away a 25 point second half preliminary final lead says we have a better list and they are better coached? Not sure on the logic, but that's OK.

The Cats list is underrated. Their forward half consists of absolute quality, the blend of smaller and taller players is excellent. They still have good structure with elite defenders and good utilities, and while their midfield is in transition players have come in an been able to do a job. With what they have elsewhere all the midfield needs to do is compete.

Their recruiting and development is industry best.

I'd say our midfield is in just as much trouble as theirs, and I don't really think our defensive personnel exceeds theirs either. Comparing the forward half we're better in the talls department, they smash us in the small to medium department. Rucks and utilities probably cancel each other out.

Interesting comparison, though that wasn't really the point of my post. Nor was I comparing Beveridge and Scott's records. What I was pointing out is that a mollycoddling media that constantly promotes Geelong's greatness wouldn't have afforded us the same treatment, even if we were afflicted by the supposed ailments the Cats were.

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

We must aim for top 4.

It all would have been OK if we reviewed that 2021 GF in depth (Sedat enters the conversation..... )

Seriously though, I'd love to know what we do versus the industry in the sports psychology space. I don't feel we have the right talent (both mix and development wise - just yet for the latter) at our disposal to consistently compete, especially in the high pressure and fast paced finals environment, but I'm a bit of a broken record on that front.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post