Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  27
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brownlow Medal 2024

What an embarrassing count for the AFL. I guess it's what to expect from our umpires though. Our game is in the worst state it's ever been, it's umpiring is the worst it has ever been and the leaders if this game are the worst they have ever been. This count is a reflection of that.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    His nickname should be boots.
    huh?

🤣

Post Thanks / Like

They should swap the Brownlow and Coaches Award. Release the Brownlow votes each weekend, and have a round by round count of the coaches award which will actually see a range of positions recognised. Will still be won by a midfielder...

45 and 38 votes is a joke.

5. Likes JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First time since I was about 5 that I didn't watch a second of the count.

The lob-sided nature of the vote count saved me from losing my mind... what an embarrassing situation for the AFL.

7. Likes chef, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

The lob-sided nature of the vote count saved me from losing my mind... what an embarrassing situation for the AFL.
    I watched 1 round but otherwise, exactly the same, It's the first count I've not watched.

The AFL are too far up their own ass to read the room and recognise the Brownlow Medal is now more of a comedy skit than anything else.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I don't know what this means but as it has a whiff of damaging my newfound affection for him I'll pretend it didn't happen.
    He?s a big lobster boy guy. Maybe even bigger than Tom McDonald and his unironic all meat diet.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He?s a big lobster boy guy. Maybe even bigger than Tom McDonald and his unironic all meat diet.
    Damn. I'm.out.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Didn’t watch a second of it. Posted on here during the count and then only actually looked at the results this morning.

Every group chat I’m in has basically panned it. Seems
    Pretty universal across the board that folks think it’s a joke.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

It's just a fluff night, don't know why anyone bothers to watch it or get upset about it.
    The curse is dead.

13. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    What an embarrassing count for the AFL. I guess it's what to expect from our umpires though. Our game is in the worst state it's ever been, it's umpiring is the worst it has ever been and the leaders if this game are the worst they have ever been. This count is a reflection of that.
    I don't know. I think the brownlow night sums up the current state of the AFL very well.

15. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't watch a Brownlow medal count in any serious way for a few years now and like you I didn't watch a minute of it last night. Most times it's just a few minutes here and there that I've viewed before I lose interest. I hated they way Gil would call players names who were in contention to try and manufacture more excitement. Then there is the issue with the way some players seem to get more votes than they really should.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I haven't watch a Brownlow medal count in any serious way for a few years now and like you I didn't watch a minute of it last night.
    Same.

I'm not interested in individual awards and I'm REALLY not interested in the umpires interpretation of who the best players are.

I'm obviously pleased for Cripps but that's where it starts and ends for me.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont polling lower than expected is actually a really good thing - clearly there was less reliance on him to shoot the lights out for us this year, and we got a far more even spread of contributors throughout the season. The "Bont or bust" years of 2021-2023 are thankfully behind us - they are obviously not behind Carlton, who are in a world of hurt until Cripps gets some proper help from the next tier. Ditto Collingwood with Daicos (unfortunately those pricks pinched one last year).

Bont's seasons in 2021 and 2023 were individually far better than 2024 IMO.
    Last edited by Sedat; Today at 11:46 AM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Same.

I'm not interested in individual awards and I'm REALLY not interested in the umpires interpretation of who the best players are.I'm obviously pleased for Cripps but that's where it starts and ends for me.
    It's just weird how the umpires opinions are viewed as the greatest. The whole thing is just weird and has been normalised for so long in the afl space that they don't realise how weird it would appear to outsiders. I kind of liken it to the guns situation in the USA. They don't realise how much they've normalised something so senseless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Bont polling lower than expected is actually a really good thing - clearly there was less reliance on him to shoot the lights out for us this year, and we got a for more even spread of contributors throughout the season. The "Bont or bust" years of 2021-2023 are thankfully behind us - they are obviously not behind Carlton, who are in a world of hurt until Cripps gets some proper help from the next tier. Ditto Collingwood with Daicos (unfortunately those pricks pinched one last year).

Bont's seasons in 2021 and 2023 were individually far better than 2024 IMO.
    Absolutely.

Just wild to me how in those seasons, and even last year he's found himself on the wrong side of assessments from the umpires for games he clearly was BOG, or thereabouts.

This year the outcome isn't the concern, but it has exposed the process further.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man