Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  41
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brownlow Medal 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    One proposal I read was they could shortlist the top 5 players as they saw it and then look at the stats to confirm their impressions, rather than looking at the stats first.

I only see this as a positive to hopefully eliminate some of the anomalies. I sometimes struggle to identify the best players sitting in the stands watching, no idea how the umpires manage it when they are rightfully concentrating on making correct decisions.
    Good call but looking at stats to determine a players impact in a game isn't necessarily the right thing either.
    I'm not that interested in how it all pans out but providing stats will only draw the umpires votes in line with the media and does that solve anything?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good call but looking at stats to determine a players impact in a game isn't necessarily the right thing either.
    I'm not that interested in how it all pans out but providing stats will only draw the umpires votes in line with the media and does that solve anything?
    I think your insight here is important.

I think perhaps rather than try to change the Brownlow...why doesn't the football industry and public move on, and by that I mean, let's accept it for what it is, an umpire's award, that is absolutely flawed (as many other awards are), but only if we continue to put it on a pedestal as the barometer for who is the year's best and fairest in the comp.

We have a heap of other awards out there already that measure who is the best for the year, from other angles, the coaches award, the players MVP, the many media award, All Australian....

Personally as a kid I loved the Brownlow...but I reckon about 10-15 years ago it started to have less and less appeal to me, to where I haven't watched a second of a count for maybe 4 or 5 years now.. and even then it was only a fleeting glance.

For me I quite like the coaches awards and the players MVP. Maybe the player MVP one's should be made secret ballots during the season and is turned into the Top Tier player award event evening for the year and over time the Brownlow occupies a different and perhaps relegated status amongst the awards going forward.

The mystery of the brownlow used to be the allure for me. It's no longer there. Betting and media scrutiny has altered the dynamic and more and more the main contenders are foregone conclusions.

3. Likes jeemak, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Possibly the Brownlow just becomes another award on a consolidated awards night. People can pick and choose which one they feel is the most important to them.

As a viewing product it's utter gobshite. You can still have your red carpets and all that jazz.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

5. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Even coaches votes are a better guide.
    Out of interest Ledge did you actually compare the top vote getters from the coaches votes and the brownlow?
    More of an In Bruges guy?