Thanks Thanks:  357
Likes Likes:  2,260
Page 212 of 212 FirstFirst ... 112162202203204205206207208209210211212
Results 3,166 to 3,179 of 3179
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    What's the point though? Players have to agree to the trade and the PSD option, I think it's a bit of a hollow threat as he will end up where he wants to go anyway. Just front load the contract and renegotiate whenever. The AFL don't really care about integrity unless it's a massive PR storm and media either dislike or don't care about us. Totally get the emotional output of saying '**** Geelong, send him to the PSD' but ultimately, it will just hurt us.
    The PSD threat didn?t hurt Port that much when they sent Stevens there and won the premiership the next year. We have a pick before Geelong and not sure why we couldn’t front end it either.
    Not sure what happened with Luke Ball and the national draft. Saints to pies.
    We lose pick 15 which we don?t have yet for a player that didn?t play this year and was poor in 2022/23.

We also show we can’t be pushed over like the rest of the league thinks after the Dunkley and Stringer trades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    The PSD threat didn?t hurt Port that much when they sent Stevens there and won the premiership the next year. We have a pick before Geelong and not sure why we couldn’t front end it either.
    We lose pick 15 which we don?t have yet for a player that didn?t play this year and was poor in 2022/23.

We also show we can’t be pushed over like the rest of the league thinks after the Dunkley and Stringer trades.
    Will they really think that? I think the last team that said stuff it, we will send him to the PSD were the Suns with Jack Martin and I don’t think it changed much at all.

I get your sentiment (I think) and if it actually changed anything, I’d definitely be with you, but I don’t think it would. Nice and totally understandable as a vent/FU but unlike fans, Power and co. have to deal with business.

3. Likes lemmon, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will they really think that? I think the last team that said stuff it, we will send him to the PSD were the Suns with Jack Martin and I don’t think it changed much at all.

I get your sentiment (I think) and if it actually changed anything, I’d definitely be with you, but I don’t think it would. Nice and totally understandable as a vent/FU but unlike fans, Power and co. have to deal with business.
    2019 Suns(last) couldn’t afford $1M Martin put on his head and Melbournes(2nd last) didn’t save a pick in the psd. Carlton was 3rd last.
    This year before Geelong there are 14 other possible picks including ours.
    Martin was a bust too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post

We need to be really strong here, especially dealing with clubs like the Cats who can be a pain in the ass to work with, but unfortunately i can't see our club doing this (but we should), we should really stick with demanding two first round picks, they know Baz is a gun, they even mentioned that in a statement recently therefor we hold them to that, otherwise we start talking with other clubs, i wonder if they are being spooked by this Cotton-On investigation?

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I would love to send BS to PSD, we need to get the best deal we can. I trust Power will
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As much as I would love to send BS to PSD, we need to get the best deal we can. I trust Power will
    If it's Geelong it's likely we will have a sliding scale

Top 10 pick = Done deal
    2 x 1st round picks = Done deal
    1 x 1st, 1 x 2nd + 1 by 3rd = Likely deal
    1 x 1st + 1 x 2nd = Negotiate
    1 x 1st + Player = Consider
    1 x 1st = No
    2 x 2nd = No

There are a lot reasons why we shouldn't let him go for a considerable undervalued offer.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Top 10 pick = Done deal
    1 x 1st = No
    2 x 2nd = No

There are a lot reasons why we shouldn't let him go for a considerable undervalued offer.
    PSD isn't my choice it's nose to spite face stuff.
    Doesnt mean we get rolled not sure one means you don't get another.
    We pressure the deal using other levers, to the best of our ability.
    I think it will get done, it's interesting there's been no announcement though. We clearly are unhappy with things.

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty to overthink here ...

Maybe pre-negotiations have gone poorly enough we're threatening the Cats with AFEL scrutiny in an effort to extract an equitable outcome, and perhaps we spare the league the charade of having to 'investigate' should they in turn persuade the Cats to deal in good faith.

Which all presupposes the AFEL's likely to be a fearless, good-faith arbiter in the event of an investigation in the first place. Insert emoji of choice here.

So are we really obliged to focus our persuasions on the league itself by going vocal on the broader issue of salary cap abuse as a tool for player poaching and the AFEL's willingness to abide it, coupled with the appropriate legal muscle if only to suggest we're serious.

Difficult to see it coming to that but you also wonder how exhausted the club's patience reserves are as another rival helps themselves to another premium young asset - even one we're internally glad to be rid of - without paying fair value.

Gonna suck heaps if we just end up getting our lunch stolen again without much of a struggle.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Likes Grantysghost, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The system is BS. If we send him to the PSD, Geelong are a lock to get him. They will frontload it and/or no one will get him when he clearly does not want to go to them. Geelong will rework the contract ASAP.

It amounts to draft tampering and the AFL should do something about it but we know of course they won't.

Post Thanks / Like

The system is BS. If we send him to the PSD, Geelong are a lock to get him. They will frontload it and/or no one will get him when he clearly does not want to go to them. Geelong will rework the contract ASAP.

It amounts to draft tampering and the AFL should do something about it but we know of course they won't.
    Richmond surely have the $ and could do wonders for the brand / drink - why wouldn’t they take him?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Top 10 pick = Done deal
    1 x 1st = No
    2 x 2nd = No

I think we need to stop referring to this year's pick as a first - it will be 20, which realistically is a second round pick. And every chance that next year is the same (if they even offer another 'first').

Pretty much the best deal we can hope for is 2x pick 20 odd (assuming Cats continue as usual and make a prelim).

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Richmond surely have the $ and could do wonders for the brand / drink - why wouldn’t they take him?
    Because they'd be signing a player who doesn't want to be there on an inflated short term contract. There's also the Mental Health aspect, whether it's real or just playing a card. He will nominate a deal that's basically fake and then re-negotiate deal with Geelong. It's bullshit but we know the AFL won't do anything about it. We also know the AFL media narrative will be about us being belligerent rather than it being tantamount to draft tampering.

Post Thanks / Like

What I believe we do need to do is find a stronger voice to/with/in the media. I think we are hurt by having AFL media being either neutral, apathetic or anti us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I think we need to stop referring to this year's pick as a first - it will be 20, which realistically is a second round pick. And every chance that next year is the same (if they even offer another 'first').

Pretty much the best deal we can hope for is 2x pick 20 odd (assuming Cats continue as usual and make a prelim).
    That's the Dunkley deal almost.