Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  81
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: St Kilda

Post Thanks / Like

Re: St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I give you the Saints 2009 Grand Final team.

Nick Riewoldt. Pick #1
    Brendon Goddard. Pick #1
    Michael Gardiner. Pick #1
    Luke Ball. Pick #2
    Justin Koschitzke. Pick #2
    Farren Ray. Pick #4
    Raphael Clark. Pick #8
    Lenny Hayes. Pick #11
    Nick Dal Santo. Pick #13

Almost a quarter of their team was taken at either Pick #1 or Pick #2. An embrassment of riches and they still could not get the job done.
    They were all good players too, let’s face it, it was one bad bounce that lost it.
    They should have been in more grand finals with that lot though.
    I would put it down to a too defensive game plan. Nothing to do with father/ son or academy picks.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I give you the Saints 2009 Grand Final team.

Nick Riewoldt. Pick #1
    Brendon Goddard. Pick #1
    Michael Gardiner. Pick #1
    Luke Ball. Pick #2
    Justin Koschitzke. Pick #2
    Farren Ray. Pick #4
    Raphael Clark. Pick #8
    Lenny Hayes. Pick #11
    Nick Dal Santo. Pick #13

Almost a quarter of their team was taken at either Pick #1 or Pick #2. An embrassment of riches and they still could not get the job done.
    In addition to St Kilda, from 2008-2010 all of Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood had generational teams - what Rocket and our players did to get so close to these teams in that 3-year stretch was nothing short of amazing IMO. I'd like to see how St Kilda would have fared with Will Minson (2008) and Scott Welsh (2009) as their key forward instead of Floppy Roo.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

I think the AFL would prefer I only one of the Saints, North or Dogs existed.
    I don't think they care too much about the Dees too.

I think they want the four to exist as add TV revenue, filling Marvel games up and taking crappy time slots. Also would be bad PR to kill them off. I think they want them to exist but accept that they won't be as equal as others in their equal comp.

4. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How is F/son in anyway different to you if your a big or small club?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I don't think they care too much about the Dees too.

I think they want the four to exist as add TV revenue, filling Marvel games up and taking crappy time slots. Also would be bad PR to kill them off. I think they want them to exist but accept that they won't be as equal as others in their equal comp.
    100% this. Dogs, Demons, Kangas and Saints are seat-fillers for the AFEL and allow them to secure fat TV rights contracts for the additional content, as well as help fulfil stadium contractual obligations. That is why the media go harder on these clubs than the "big" Vic clubs because they can afford to without any major blowback.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    How is F/son in anyway different to you if your a big or small club?
    Zero difference as the Bulldogs have shown.

The bigger issue for me is the inequality created with free agency and players having more power to move clubs and this narrative that you are better off playing at a bigger club on a bigger stage. That is hurting the Saints, North and Dogs of the AFL more than the draft concessions. By a long way too.

9. Likes Bulldog Joe, macca, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Zero difference as the Bulldogs have shown.

The bigger issue for me is the inequality created with free agency and players having more power to move clubs and this narrative that you are better off playing at a bigger club on a bigger stage. That is hurting the Saints, North and Dogs of the AFL more than the draft concessions. By a long way too.
    Agree, a mate helps with recruiting for one of the "big" clubs. He said very rarely would they target a tall who needs work put into them as they know they will be able to entice them after all the ground work is done at one of the "feeder" clubs.

11. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We should do same for Smith

St Kilda told Josh Battle NOT to come to the Trevor Barker Award last night. Battle went on to finish third in the count, but wasn't mentioned by the president, captain or coach. Interesting approach from the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That's a strange approach by St Kilda. It's not like he's demanded a trade whilst contracted - he's a free agent. I think they need to grow up.

We treated Dunkley with respect when he left as of course he won the best and fairest. I doubt Smith would attend anyway but even if he does there will be no need to mention or acknowledge him having not played this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why though? All clubs have players leave to other clubs and all clubs bring in players from other clubs (free agents, uncontracted, contracted), it's the nature of the beast.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be emulating the directionless Saints.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Why though? All clubs have players leave to other clubs and all clubs bring in players from other clubs (free agents, uncontracted, contracted), it's the nature of the beast.
    I am used to the corporate world where, you resign and go to a competitor, you leave immediately and that is it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.