Thanks Thanks:  368
Likes Likes:  2,344
Page 219 of 220 FirstFirst ... 119169209210211212213214215216217218219220 LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,285 of 3291
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Good news. Dees apparently not willing to trade Oliver now. Dogs not going to roll over. These entitled ****s were doing their best 22 next year with these two in them. They might get neither now. Let’s see if their hubris gets in the way of at least getting Smith or walk away with bust of trade period.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes hujsh, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Clark is 'next Selwood' like Cam Faulkner was 'next McLeod'
    Yep. Interesting the Hun suggestions on players to add to the trade are just above delisted free agents.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

With Melbourne quashing any move by Oliver, so Pick 15, plus a Future first and I am happy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Good news. Dees apparently not willing to trade Oliver now. Dogs not going to roll over. These entitled ****s were doing their best 22 next year with these two in them. They might get neither now. Let’s see if their hubris gets in the way of at least getting Smith or walk away with bust of trade period.
    If the competition had a trade anywhere option we would easily be able to pry their pick 7 the Saints for his services. Other clubs would be offering up superior opportunities as well.
    We need to hold our nerve and get a fair valuation in return.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how real our low balling of Bailey Smith is. As in, I wonder if the club sees him as that much of a loss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. Interesting the Hun suggestions on players to add to the trade are just above delisted free agents.
    Geelong obviously had high hopes for Clark (they still might) as he was part of the Jack Bowes pick 7 trade. They simply don't lose players they desperately want to keep, so if he is moved on I would proceed with due caution. What I've seen so far is underwhelming but he is still very young to be fair.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If the competition had a trade anywhere option we would easily be able to pry their pick 7 the Saints for his services. Other clubs would be offering up superior opportunities as well.
    We need to hold our nerve and get a fair valuation in return.
    When have we ever held our nerve and gotten a fair return? I know supporters tend to over value their own players but we've been royally screwed every time.

What's going to change this time?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    When have we ever held our nerve and gotten a fair return? I know supporters tend to over value their own players but we've been royally screwed every time.

What's going to change this time?
    IDK how you necessarily force that with OOC players who haven't qualified for FA. We held our nerve with Dunkley and Essendon wanting proper compensation but didn't get what we'd want (though maybe we just wanted him to stay). When the shoe is on the other foot the clubs losing OOC players to us have usually been left disappointed as well (Bruce, Keath come to mind). So I suppose we agree we'll get less than we want going by my own ramblings

Sidenote: Weird that FA actually makes it easier to get proper compensation while players leaving before FA have more capacity to screw their club over without giving them proper service but who'd have thought the AFL wouldn't get something right?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not worried about us not getting players from other clubs this trade period. I am worried about us potentially not having a plan or being able to execute a plan with the cap space we have left over.

Whatever fans think, the club seem to:
    - See Bailey Smith as a lot of work and/or not positive for team culture, seems likely we lowballed him a bit
    - Macrae and Daniel as fringe types. AFL is pretty immature with player movement, salary dumps are very common in NBA. Trading away players on larger contracts that you don't really use for not much but not having to pay them= a W.

Our fans might correctly disagree with our club's valuation of the trio but I don't believe we are losing players the club wants to desperately keep. So I see the potential issue as less player retention and more player valuation.

12. Likes hujsh, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I am not worried about us not getting players from other clubs this trade period. I am worried about us potentially not having a plan or being able to execute a plan with the cap space we have left over.

Whatever fans think, the club seem to:
    - See Bailey Smith as a lot of work and/or not positive for team culture, seems likely we lowballed him a bit
    - Macrae and Daniel as fringe types. AFL is pretty immature with player movement, salary dumps are very common in NBA. Trading away players on larger contracts that you don't really use for not much but not having to pay them= a W.

Our fans might correctly disagree with our club's valuation of the trio but I don't believe we are losing players the club wants to desperately keep. So I see the potential issue as less player retention and more player valuation.
    It kinda seems like we were happy enough for him to get to FA and be in a better position to negotiate and this has offended BS who we should obviously be desperate to retain since he's been so great for us the last 2.5 years.

Do you think the noise about us being unhappy with Geelong is just bluster for negotiations?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Sidenote: Weird that FA actually makes it easier to get proper compensation while players leaving before FA have more capacity to screw their club over without giving them proper service but who'd have thought the AFL wouldn't get something right?
    The system is truly stuffed. Good example is last year when North got pick 3 for Dud Ben Mckay as compensation and Essendon pay stuff all.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The free agency system is a crock. Compo should be scrapped in an ideal world as the salary cap space opened up is the benefit for the team losing the player. The issue in the AFEL is however that all top free agents leave for the big clubs. Meaning the smaller clubs lose the players and big ones keep getting them. In this scenario the smaller club needs to be compensated to keep feeding the cycle. Otherwise they're left with nothing as they can't attract players with the cap space.

Post Thanks / Like

A big issue with our negotiations is both Dunkley and Smith have chosen clubs at the top of the ladder. So their first rounder is more like a second. If they'd have chosen a bottom 8 side a single first would have been very close to enough.

Both these guys really didn't help our situation. But then we never should have let them get OOC in the first place.

17. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The system is truly stuffed. Good example is last year when North got pick 3 for Dud Ben Mckay as compensation and Essendon pay stuff all.
    McKay was on $1.6m this year. More than stuff all!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    McKay was on $1.6m this year. More than stuff all!
    I mean in picks, not his salary. He is not worth a pick 3 - at minimum, Essendon should have given up their first rounder.