Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,355
Page 220 of 222 FirstFirst ... 120170210211212213214215216217218219220221222 LastLast
Results 3,286 to 3,300 of 3318
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I mean in picks, not his salary. He is not worth a pick 3 - at minimum, Essendon should have given up their first rounder.
    Yeah I tend to think any compo should be after the first round at the earliest.

2. Thanks EasternWest thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I mean in picks, not his salary. He is not worth a pick 3 - at minimum, Essendon should have given up their first rounder.
    I don't mind the suggestion that clubs should have to give up something else with these FA plays. The AFL have a silly compensation approach that looks at the dollars not the players true ability and the compensation can be both excessive or insufficient.
    North landed pick 3 and perhaps they should have had to given something back.

I'm not sure ladder positions should play into it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't mind the suggestion that clubs should have to give up something else with these FA plays. The AFL have a silly compensation approach that looks at the dollars not the players true ability and the compensation can be both excessive or insufficient.
    North landed pick 3 and perhaps they should have had to given something back.

An incoming free agent should work the same as a father-son or NGA. Club should have to use a draft pick based on when another club bids. If Hawthorn are going to get Battle, then they should have to pay something. I don't see why St Kilda should receive anything as he has completed his contract with them.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the more I mull over this, the problem isn't return for us, it's the fact we're likely making Geelong better and ourselves worse.

Whatever else you say about Smith - and I do think we'll be better off without his obvious mental health issues - he was talent we scouted and drafted and developed to fill a specific need. We were clever and it paid off, and now we're not reaping the benefits of that. There is no possible compensation for that, because there are no available ready-to-go pacey outside mids/wingers available to us. Same as there was no reasonable compensation available for the Dunkley trade because there were no ready-to-go available defensive mids, but worse this time because we drafted Dunks as a forward.

The issue is the team who needs him least is going to get him cheap. It's my hope that his downsides stay downsides for them, as cruel as that sounds for him (I wouldn't wish mental health struggles on anyone).

Thank heavens for Ed Richards, is all I can say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    For me, the more I mull over this, the problem isn't return for us, it's the fact we're likely making Geelong better and ourselves worse.

Whatever else you say about Smith - and I do think we'll be better off without his obvious mental health issues - he was talent we scouted and drafted and developed to fill a specific need. We were clever and it paid off, and now we're not reaping the benefits of that. There is no possible compensation for that, because there are no available ready-to-go pacey outside mids/wingers available to us. Same as there was no reasonable compensation available for the Dunkley trade because there were no ready-to-go available defensive mids, but worse this time because we drafted Dunks as a forward.

The issue is the team who needs him least is going to get him cheap. It's my hope that his downsides stay downsides for them, as cruel as that sounds for him (I wouldn't wish mental health struggles on anyone).

Thank heavens for Ed Richards, is all I can say.
    I hope Bailey gets a lot of fulfillment from his Cotton On 'job' and absolutely none from his football career.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They do that to try and even out the competition
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing that Battle and Perryman could be worth more than Smith.

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Amazing that Battle and Perryman could be worth more than Smith.
    You know that is not true.

12. Thanks kruder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given how far apart we are with Geelong at the moment I wonder if our fall back position might soften to this years pick and a F2?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Given how far apart we are with Geelong at the moment I wonder if our fall back position might soften to this years pick and a F2?
    I have long expected it to end up as something along those lines. Don't think we will get 2 firsts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats vomit inducing

Post Thanks / Like

I am once again asking us to blow this deal up on purpose.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think handing them an F2 is fair

Say Pick 21 & 20 - for - Smith & 36.

That’s a great deal for them. That’s my fall back.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Annoying as **** how Geelong and Baz have played us with this deal. Only thing to be determined is how hard they screw us.

We should have been trying to push him out 12 months ago.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I am once again asking us to blow this deal up on purpose.
    How do we do that?

If we do not make the trade Smith is still a 90% chance to get to Geelong and they keep their first round pick.
    More of an In Bruges guy?