Thanks Thanks:  378
Likes Likes:  2,387
Page 224 of 224 FirstFirst ... 124174214215216217218219220221222223224
Results 3,346 to 3,353 of 3353
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    If Smith has to go through the draft it will play havoc with his mental state.
    Well we have looked after him all this time and he is walking - no sympathy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

OK I googled and read what I believe are the relevant rules in terms of financial nominations for PSD.

Very amateur and probably misinformed view of it but here goes:
    - if players are putting price on their head, it must be for a minimum of two years.
    - you need to stick to the amount and years unless there's a change in total player payments that could not be 'reasonably anticipated' (Smith agreeing to spread out payments to help side go after a free agent they didn't forecast signing over a year ago).

In effect, off my very limited knowledge, I predict Bailey Smith nominates two year contract, say $1-1.1m for year one and $1.3m for year two. After a year, they change the contract citing something that couldn't be 'reasonably anticipated' 12 months in advance. AFL will accept it and they will rework contract to 5 additional years and the balance of what he was was going to be paid anyway.

If I have it right, I think biggest issue Cats will end up with is needing to rework something like $300k for next season's TPP (assume they have that space if chasing Oliver).

3. Thanks Grantysghost, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    OK I googled and read what I believe are the relevant rules in terms of financial nominations for PSD.

Very amateur and probably misinformed view of it but here goes:
    - if players are putting price on their head, it must be for a minimum of two years.
    - you need to stick to the amount and years unless there's a change in total player payments that could not be 'reasonably anticipated' (Smith agreeing to spread out payments to help side go after a free agent they didn't forecast signing over a year ago).

In effect, off my very limited knowledge, I predict Bailey Smith nominates two year contract, say $1m for year one and $1.3m for year two. After a year, they change the contract citing something that couldn't be 'reasonably anticipated' 12 months in advance. AFL will accept it and they will rework contract to 5 additional years and the balance of what he was was going to be paid anyway.

If I have it right, I think biggest issue Cats will end up with is needing to rework something like $200k or so from their TPP for next season.
    I don't think you need to worry about justifying a change in the contract. Just sign an extension for 3 years at 600k (assuming his overall deal is meant to be 5*800k that would be 2.2m+1.8m) and tweak other players contracts to fit. Smith even gets his money earlier.

My understanding is it works the same for the ND too. You set a price but the length is 2 years

5. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I don't think you need to worry about justifying a change in the contract. Just sign an extension for 3 years at 600k (assuming his overall deal is meant to be 5*800k that would be 2.2m+1.8m) and tweak other players contracts to fit. Smith even gets his money earlier.

My understanding is it works the same for the ND too. You set a price but the length is 2 years
    Yep, only issue is Cats need to rework TPP over two years. Want a price that's too big for clubs to swoop in.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I think we end up accepting something like what is currently pick 17 + 38 from Cats for Smith + 48.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    FWIW I think we end up accepting something like what is currently pick 17 + 38 from Cats for Smith + 48.
    And watch the melts on socials.

Dogs are in a tough spot here. Very hard to spin anything in this period as a win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    And watch the melts on socials.

Dogs are in a tough spot here. Very hard to spin anything in this period as a win.
    We lost when we let him get out of contract.

10. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    We lost when we let him get out of contract.
    Bang on. That is 2 we have let run down and both times we have been in a difficult position.

We really need another club to come in and compete.