Thanks Thanks:  381
Likes Likes:  2,410
Page 226 of 227 FirstFirst ... 126176216217218219220221222223224225226227 LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 3391
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's not traded - it's if you aren't committing then we will shop you around as we need to protect the club. Perfect business sense to me.
    Or just let the players wipe their you know whats all over the joint and whinge why we don't have any hand.
    What counts as committing? Saying 'yeah I want to stay lets work out the contract through the year' or actually signing something?

The more I think on it the less I feel like an EPL comparison really fits. If you can make the case this is what NBA/NFL teams do I'm more inclined to follow their examples but again it's a different market and different set of rules

Post Thanks / Like

There needs to be an independent (or as close to) body that determines free agency value and general trade value, the latter for teams to operate within to find a deal.

If a club can't find fair value for a player then the player can't nominate them as an alternative destination. It's the next step in equalisation, otherwise you'll cointinue to have Brisbanes and Geelongs occupying the higher echelons of the ladder and seeking out talent to nominate them as destinations without having the capital.

Instances in which you prioritise F/S or academy players should mean you're excluded from drafting talent unless you've got the trade capital to do so.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    What counts as committing? Saying 'yeah I want to stay lets work out the contract through the year' or actually signing something?

The more I think on it the less I feel like an EPL comparison really fits. If you can make the case this is what NBA/NFL teams do I'm more inclined to follow their examples but again it's a different market and different set of rules
    That would be for the club to decide - I don't know what it looks like.

Why hasn't Richards signed? Because as is his right, he wants to max his value for the next period.

Fine, but in my scenario I'd be shopping him now or at least seeing if there are any bites.

Go back to him, hey Ed the Swans are keen any interest we can get a good deal for the Bulldogs now as we aren't letting contracts expire any more. Could be a win-win. At least it puts some balance back in the equation I feel.

I'm over it personally. I can see it wouldn't be an easy thing to do and the culture currently probably would never allow it.

If Ed cracks it and asks for a trade to the premiers next season I'm out ! (not really but it was good for affect right?)

4. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That would be for the club to decide - I don't know what it looks like.

Why hasn't Richards signed? Because as is his right, he wants to max his value for the next period.

Fine, but in my scenario I'd be shopping him now or at least seeing if there are any bites.

Go back to him, hey Ed the Swans are keen any interest we can get a good deal for the Bulldogs now as we aren't letting contracts expire any more. Could be a win-win. At least it puts some balance back in the equation I feel.

I'm over it personally. I can see it wouldn't be an easy thing to do and the culture currently probably would never allow it.

If Ed cracks it and asks for a trade to the premiers next season I'm out ! (not really but it was good for affect right?)
    I dunno, I think we lose more than we gain in this scenario. Not only because we start pushing out good players for speculative draft picks but also instead of doing the Dunkley Dance we end up doing the Stringer Slide

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, I think we lose more than we gain in this scenario. Not only because we start pushing out good players for speculative draft picks but also instead of doing the Dunkley Dance we end up doing the Stringer Slide
    Yep - i get that completely. It's not an easy thing to do in the AFL. However the contract is am important protection for the club.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a difficult scenario I suppose. Players don't want to commit out of fear of getting a lower deal so they'll keep the club guessing even if they want to stay.

I think Smith is a different case. He's a **** with no regard for the club. Did we not get a sense for that?

I think clubs should be able to trade to the highest bidder. If a player doesn't want to move interstate then they can put that on their contract via no trade clauses to certain clubs. NHL does that. Although imo if you sign up to play afl you should expect to make a living anywhere in the country. You're paid enough. It's a national comp.

Something needs to give. The player can't wield this much power.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean, English only stayed cause literally no one else wanted him... so... assuming we wanted him all along, we probably got a good deal on him in the end. So it can go both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a more balanced reflection on the stalemate.

SAINTS URGED TO RUIN SMITH DRAFT ESCAPE PLAN

Tim Michell

St Kilda has been urged to call Geelong’s bluff and draft Bailey Smith if the Cats try to use the draft as leverage to land the Bulldogs midfielder for pick 17.
    There has been little movement between the Cats and Bulldogs on a deal in the opening three days of the trade period, with Geelong’s first-round pick not enough to satisfy the Dogs.
    It raised the possibility – albeit faint – of Smith ending up in the national draft pool as an out-of-contract player.
    Speaking on Fox Footy’s Trading Day, Ben Dixon said if that scenario played out, St Kilda should gazump the Cats and make a "ruthless" call take Smith with either pick 7 or 8.
    "If I was St Kilda, I would be taking the punt," Dixon said.
    "If you’re going into this draft period and you don’t want to upset a manager because you’re going to have future dealings with players and it’s going to affect your relationship, (you’re) in it for the wrong reasons.

"They’ve lost Seb Ross. They have got Crouch who’s (injured) – he hasn’t played a lot of games. They're after Macrae.
    "Bailey Smith is sitting there on a platter and you can take him. Yes, he might not want to go there. But we are playing a game where you want to win premierships."
    He added: “If they are going to baulk at that because the Cats want him and everyone is going to sit back and allow the Cats to have him later in the draft, I think that’s ridiculous.”
    Former Saint Leigh Montagna said it would be unfair for Geelong to drag Smith through the uncertainty of the draft.
    "They have committed to Bailey Smith. They have said from a long way, ‘we want you, you’re our man’. It’s incumbent on Geelong to get the deal done.
    "They can’t do that and say, ‘well we’re going to win this Mexican standoff’ and put Bailey Smith through a very, very nervous period until the end of November sitting there thinking that another club could take him if they wanted.
    "It’s on Geelong and Andrew Mackie to get the job done."
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally some sense!

13. Likes josie, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a retread of the fox article from yesterday, same discussion being reported on

Post Thanks / Like

Onya Ben Dixon. I think he is one of the better special comments people in AFL (that’s a low bar I know).

Benny, Benny, Benny your a jet.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if late in the proceedings for the trade period we don't pull a deal Macrae going to the Saints their pick 27?
    Then somehow the trade for Smith doesn't get done and just falls flat.
    The Saints might split their Battle compensation pick and drop down to a pick or two before the Cats?

It wouldn't be an overly nice outcome but lets see how the Cats and Smith handle waiting around until the National Draft or the PSD?

We want and should expect a better deal than just pick #17.
    As BT says, pick 17 and their F1 for Smith and our F2 Surely they can live with that and get things wrapped up quickly?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a retread of the fox article from yesterday, same discussion being reported on
    It's got the 9th on it but it might be my mistake.

18. Likes Rocco Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's got the 9th on it but it might be my mistake.
    I would not be surprised if it is a new article about yesterday's news (well more speculation than news)

Post Thanks / Like

I would not be surprised if it is a new article about yesterday's news (well more speculation than news)
    I think that's it, they just rehashed the same thing I read yesterday. That's why they are crying about the list managers not giving them enough content.