Thanks Thanks:  80
Likes Likes:  117
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: Afl - w 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Afl - w 2024

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Sorry, but Issy Grant is not AFLW level. We've had a good look over a number of seasons but panics and makes bad mistakes.
    It's hard to know what that means, though. What is AFLW level? Outside of a few gun players and a couple of really good teams, the standard is generally average to poor. In the context of the overall standard, I don't think Issy stands out as being sub-par. I do think that she can be a pretty handy player, but not as a KPD.
    Crumbs!

2. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was our forward line that really let us down last night.

Where were our crumbers? Why not stick a goer like Gorham or Wilcox at feet of talls? Why didn’t we try and run it or scrub it inside F50? Our kicks were marked by Bombers time & time again.

I suppose we kept oppo to low score. It world have been nice to score at least 1 goal. Couldn’t believe missed goal from dead in front.

Teams seem to play keepings off around wings and play possession until they enter their F50. We don’t seem to be able to counter it. The umpiring is so bad, even though we do ourselves no favours with frequent poor tackling.

Still, there are some green shoots there. Shout out to Alice Edmonds who tries her guts out every week. Took some nice marks.

Post Thanks / Like

4 games in four days for the players, doesn't help their performance. AFL = #noidea
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Both teams playing their fourth game in 15 days. The scheduling of this season has been more pathetic than anything players have dished up.
    Fully understand that played a big part in creating the spectacle it did, but the tactics employed were disgraceful and the inability of players to execute the most basic skills was nothing short of embarrassing.

The AFL have set the competition up to failure, and our club is the one suffering the most.

We?ve played 7 games and in 3 of those we haven?t kicked a goal, and in 1 other we?ve kicked 1. Only the most ardent supporters are going to continue to tune in, and from where we were 6-7 years ago to where we are now is an embarrassment to those at the club involved in the AFLW program.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We?ve played 7 games and in 3 of those we haven?t kicked a goal, and in 1 other we?ve kicked 1. Only the most ardent supporters are going to continue to tune in, and from where we were 6-7 years ago to where we are now is an embarrassment to those at the club involved in the AFLW program.
    It's impossible to watch mate.

We don't even try to score. 4-games in 15-days is a joke (of course) but the competition is going backwards - I watched the 2nd half of Freo Carlton last night and it was an embarrassment...

I'm not sure I can watch anymore.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It's impossible to watch mate.

We don't even try to score. 4-games in 15-days is a joke (of course) but the competition is going backwards - I watched the 2nd half of Freo Carlton last night and it was an embarrassment...

I'm not sure I can watch anymore.
    The AFL?s insistence on expanding to 18 teams as quickly as it did has ****ed the comp. The talent base isn?t there and needed time to grow at lower levels to allow for expansion. But instead we?ll just find as many junior women sports participants as we can with whatever skill base, throw them in jumpers and make them play 2 games of footy a week with minimal capacity to prepare physically prior to the season and no time to recuperate during or train to improve.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few friends who coach in aflw/vflw/women's under 18s and when I criticised the expansion a year or two ago they said it was important to show young girls that there was a genuine pathway, more role models, more opportunities.

I disagreed with them then and I disagree now.

There would be very few metrics on which the competition is improving. I hope that crowds continue to show up and it is given time to grow, but I (as someone who watched and attended a lot of Bulldogs and neutral games through the first 5-6 seasons) have pretty much switched off this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I (as someone who watched and attended a lot of Bulldogs and neutral games through the first 5-6 seasons) have pretty much switched off this season.
    This sums me up...every weekend I sit down to watch a game and - it's a bit self fulfilling I guess - give up after 20 minutes.

Watching the Carlton girls just kick the ball out in a panic to the Freo players in the 3rd quarter...followed by the Freo players bombing it back in to no-one, flopping on the footy and there being 3x ball-ups (with no tricks, no wraps, no rips, no NOTHING being tried by the forwards to kick a goal - rinse and repeat for 20-minutes was some of the worst footy I have EVER seen.

3 of the Freo girls come to train with me...I have no idea what I'm gonna say to them this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching the Carlton girls just kick the ball out in a panic to the Freo players in the 3rd quarter...followed by the Freo players bombing it back in to no-one, flopping on the footy and there being 3x ball-ups (with no tricks, no wraps, no rips, no NOTHING being tried by the forwards to kick a goal - rinse and repeat for 20-minutes was some of the worst footy I have EVER seen.
    That is every game
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That is every game
    But WHY mate?

I don't want to hear about being fully professional etc. I get they wont kick as far but they should kick as straight...it's impossible to kick straight though when you don't even LOOK.

I'm too annoyed with the trade period to be rational about the AFLW in any way right now.

Post Thanks / Like

But WHY mate?

I don't want to hear about being fully professional etc. I get they wont kick as far but they should kick as straight...it's impossible to kick straight though when you don't even LOOK.

I'm too annoyed with the trade period to be rational about the AFLW in any way right now.
    The footy is a size smaller I think that might make a difference over a few things . You have to be more accurate when it hits your boot. The wind and wierd bounce is more hectic but I do agree not many women in this comp are natural footballers anyway .
    Seems to be we are short on skilled players so let’s bring in athletes or players who train hard and see how that goes.
    Bring back the biff