Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Power, List Boss - From Start to Now

Now it might be that we are covertly progressing our way to a major trade, to cover or known deficiencies.... but nothing I can see on any major trade news sites would indicate that this is the case.

What do you think, are we flying below the radar, or are we just not in the hunt ?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Now it might be that we are covertly progressing our way to a major trade, to cover or known deficiencies.... but nothing I can see on any major trade news sites would indicate that this is the case.

What do you think, are we flying below the radar, or are we just not in the hunt ?
    I think Sam is not one to let any journos know what we are up to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam said on the Road to the Draft podcast earlier this year that initially the focus was on drafting and now it’s flipped to trading owing to where the list is. I hope he follows through trading for list improvement in the last days of the trade period. Starting with the easy stuff like TOB and building up to more meaningful trades to improve the list.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam is a tough nut to crack - good on him. The other list managers must hate dealing with the iceman

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If Sam can pull off 5 worthy trades in under the last hour of the trade period he deserves a raise.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So are we happy with how the Iceman has gone?

I think I am.

The BS position was unteneble and not a place you want to negotiate from, but the club had a couple of clear secondary objectives being creating cap room for deals next year. Sad to see Caleb and Jack go, but both were fringe in a year where statistically we should have gone deeper into September.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    So are we happy with how the Iceman has gone?

I think I am.

The BS position was unteneble and not a place you want to negotiate from, but the club had a couple of clear secondary objectives being creating cap room for deals next year. Sad to see Caleb and Jack go, but both were fringe in a year where statistically we should have gone deeper into September.
    He's done okay but are we missing out of getting more deals done by holding back to so late in proceedings?
    We had no real hand to play so we had to move on players to give us a better chance.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Thought we'd try to trade in to the first round of the draft so we could at least avoid the threat of Geelong walking Smith through the national draft.

Not a conventional play but better than just stonewalling for a better pick imo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShibbyUp View Post
    Thought we'd try to trade in to the first round of the draft so we could at least avoid the threat of Geelong walking Smith through the national draft.

Not a conventional play but better than just stonewalling for a better pick imo
    But there was no way we would waste the currency of a first round pick on him, in that situation. Cats would have called our bluff there 100%.

12. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's done okay but are we missing out of getting more deals done by holding back to so late in proceedings?
    We had no real hand to play so we had to move on players to give us a better chance.
    I don't think so.

Holding out on the Daniel and Macrae deals got us better value.

Not for the first time, we were flexible during the period in selecting a player who became available in Kennedy, at a fair price.

I think Power uses his time effectively and remains fluid and flexible - if he can utilise picks (the Macrae to Kennedy transition a good example) across a number of trades he will do it.

My issue with him would be that he doesn't let a star who has shown interest in leaving fall out of contract again. We had a very weak trade hand because of decisions made last year.

14. Likes GVGjr, The Bulldogs Bite, josie, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Sam did very well to get pick 25 for Daniel.

Post Thanks / Like

In totality, I thought Sam did well. BS walked, Jack & CD wanted out (North said they’d been talking to him for a long time).

Sam knew he needed affordable replacements. He identified Kennedy and XOH, although GWS refused our revised offer at the last minute.

So, with three guys wanting out, he got 17, 25 & Kennedy (top 10 B&F this year).

He was also prepared to trade the F1 to get into the first round so this might still happen. 35 & 48 should be enough hopefully to but 27 or 28 in points trades. So I do t think Sam is done yet. I don’t think we’ve lost anything by waiting as GWS still refused to deal and Barrass & Houston didn’t change their minds. In fact if we do get up to 27/28, it will be because we waited on North in order to keep 48. By waiting we got Kennedy I think at a pair price, allowing us to keep 35, which again could see us move up.

I posted during the week this period was about the players. He traded the guys who wanted out for the best return and got Kennedy. He’s got a month to keep wheeling and dealing on our draft hand. I think he’s going to be proactive and watch this space.

17. Likes GVGjr liked this post