Thanks Thanks:  75
Likes Likes:  375
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog ONLY Trade News

Richards. Darcy. Bramble (if he has another good year) More money.

Bont. Adz. Probably same money as current.

The rest arn't really demanding any crazy price increases to be honest.

I like Kennedy. Better than Harmes. Would have preferred to keep 1 Of Macca or Caleb, but. Pick 25 was decent. Macca im sure was done for him for more opportunity.

They need to overhaul this players choosing a club stuff. **** Bailey smith and geelong how they sneakily did their dealings.

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Putting the actual trades to one side it?s pretty frustrating seeing media use the 3 players to undermine our coaches. I saw Lloyd blaming Bevo for playing them out of position but to me you cant just drop that line without naming the players you?re moving out of those roles.

If we played Smith in the middle at Libbas expense in 2023 for example we would cop it re Libba as well. If we had given Macrae more time we wouldn?t have found Richards. Macrae has never been an elite centre square player he does his best work around the ground but the footy media has no desire to look into the nuance of each scenario.

This has been an issue for the club for 4-5 years where media and even our fans question player positioning without offering a viable alternate. Not a surprise to me that we started to thrive as a team the more we deviated from simply squeezing our best 22 players into a team and started putting value on the role required.

This is not being negative towards any of these players but if the narrative is that they have been pushed out of their preferred positions incorrectly then I just think that?s wrong. The only one I would potentially challenge is could we have made a forward looking ruthless call in 2023 and backed Smith over Treloar/Libba but we would have copped the same flack for potentially the same result or worse.

You only have to look at some of the names that have gone cheap in the last 3-4 years to confirm that clubs are unwilling to play multiple slow mids at once regardless of the quality. Adams, Mitchell, Parker are some very recent examples but there is a dozen of them. We are hardly alone in trying to find this balance.
    The media played a part in conditioning the fan base on their version of what is right and wrong. It's really disappointing that they choose to continually push the bigger clubs agendas.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Putting the actual trades to one side it?s pretty frustrating seeing media use the 3 players to undermine our coaches. I saw Lloyd blaming Bevo for playing them out of position but to me you cant just drop that line without naming the players you?re moving out of those roles.

If we played Smith in the middle at Libbas expense in 2023 for example we would cop it re Libba as well. If we had given Macrae more time we wouldn?t have found Richards. Macrae has never been an elite centre square player he does his best work around the ground but the footy media has no desire to look into the nuance of each scenario.

This has been an issue for the club for 4-5 years where media and even our fans question player positioning without offering a viable alternate. Not a surprise to me that we started to thrive as a team the more we deviated from simply squeezing our best 22 players into a team and started putting value on the role required.

This is not being negative towards any of these players but if the narrative is that they have been pushed out of their preferred positions incorrectly then I just think that?s wrong. The only one I would potentially challenge is could we have made a forward looking ruthless call in 2023 and backed Smith over Treloar/Libba but we would have copped the same flack for potentially the same result or worse.

You only have to look at some of the names that have gone cheap in the last 3-4 years to confirm that clubs are unwilling to play multiple slow mids at once regardless of the quality. Adams, Mitchell, Parker are some very recent examples but there is a dozen of them. We are hardly alone in trying to find this balance.
    Thoughtful post dogtown. Last paragraph very insightful. Hope some of our members upset at trading Caleb and Jacko & the AFL party line media are reminded of this by wiser heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Overall decent outcome from a reasonably weak position.

If the goal is to make the list immediately better for 2025, then maybe not, it’ll depend on the draft, but zooming out I think we’ve improved the value proposition of Macrae on the periphery for Kennedy on less dollars and potentially a little more to give rather than a perceived decline in a specific role. 25 for Daniel is a good outcome and feels like all parties had a win there. We’ve got a stronger draft hand than we started with.

Offloaded a distraction too.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

7. Likes EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we did as well as we could this trade period.

Both Caleb and Jacko were contracted. If we didn?t want them to go and they were part of our plans for next year and beyond, we would have kept them. It wasn?t untenable with either of them from all reports. As much as I love both guys (especially CD, that?s a ****ing heartbreaker), we?ve allowed them to seek out better deals elsewhere and made it happen.

It?s good list management and also respectful treatment of two fantastic servants of the club.

We have two picks inside 30 to fill some longer term talent gaps which is good.

On top of that, we rid ourselves of the biggest flog in the AFL. That alone makes the trade period an A in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Both Caleb and Jacko were contracted. If we didn?t want them to go and they were part of our plans for next year and beyond, we would have kept them. It wasn?t untenable with either of them from all reports. As much as I love both guys (especially CD, that?s a ****ing heartbreaker), we?ve allowed them to seek out better deals elsewhere and made it happen.

Its good list management and also respectful treatment of two fantastic servants of the club .
    Agree with this, emotionally it hurts to lose those two guys but practically it's good for them and us. I'm glad they're both going somewhere that's going to give them more opportunities and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

BullGods forever.
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this trade period isn't about this trade period, its what it does to set us up for the next 2 years. Our financial list management is fantastic, this really makes our next couple of years primed for success, in terms of keeping who we want, plus potentially landing players we need.

Loosing a guy who hasn't played in a year, does coke and parading around with a chubby is a huge win.

Our last 2 months of football (sans the final) was awesome, so im thinking we are good to go.

12. Likes bornadog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I must say waking up this morning to no longer have to worry about the biggest **** in the comp and biggest $hitstain to ever pull on the rwb is a relief
    I'm glad he's someone else's problem now and we just have to move on with an early 2nd round pick in what is a loaded draft.

I think we've done about as well as we could've given the circumstances (mostly driven by one of our own). I absolutely hate the system but we have to work within for now as I doubt the afel is interested in equalisation.

It's sad to see CD and Macrae go. We got decent value for CD but I have slight concerns with losing that much experience and leadership.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post dog town - I also saw that Lloyd accused Bevo of playing Smith as a HF when he was really a wingman

Actually we primarily played him as a wingman, occasionally half forward - the issue seems to be that Smith wants to play far more inside mid

Occasionally coaches have to ask players to play a role for the betterment of the team - but it also ends up bettering the player - i.e Bailey Williams, Bailey Dale, Rhylee West, Rory Lobb etc