Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who could be our next Bramble for season 2025?

I think most of us would agree that one bright spot in season 2024 was the pick up of the delisted player Bramble who I reckon had a pretty good season.

So is there another delisted Bramble like player out there for us for season 2025? Who might that be?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who could be our next Bramble for season 2025?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I think most of us would agree that one bright spot in season 2024 was the pick up of the delisted player Bramble who I reckon had a pretty good season.

So is there another delisted Bramble like player out there for us for season 2025? Who might that be?
    I hope Happy Days jumps into this thread. He called Bramble nice and early.

Darcy Macpherson has some interest from my perspective, BT is throwing some names like McHenry and Curtis Taylor forward.

Over the next couple of weeks some names for consideration will start to come forward.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Hayes as a ruck backup and Jaxon Prior as a medium defender are both players I would be interested to learn more about.

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Jack Hayes as a ruck backup and Jaxon Prior as a medium defender are both players I would be interested to learn more about.
    As Kane Cornes has said and I have eluded to, ruck is not important any more. Look at Geelong they don't have a ruckman. We have English, Darcy, Lobb and Lachie Smith
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As Kane Cornes has said and I have eluded to, ruck is not important any more. Look at Geelong they don't have a ruckman. We have English, Darcy, Lobb and Lachie Smith
    Darcy is a forward. Lobb is a defender. Smith is on his P Plates. English has no competition for the first ruck. I’m open to looking at competition for Tim if only to fire him up to fight for the role.

The small forward market is Taylor & McHenry.
    The small defender market is Jones & Darcy Mac.

If those are our needs (a Doc coverage, replacement - and AOD/Rypstra replacement) then these are the more higher profile names although I’m studying the fuller lists as the lists gets culled. We probably need to cut Keath to grab a DFA and I’m good with this.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Conway is close to their most untouchable young player.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

You were suggesting that we should pay 1.2M a year for Tim even though you now actually support Kane's view on rucks not being important? That was a lot of money you were prepared to pay for a non important role.
    As BT highlights Darcy is a forward who provides a chop out in the ruck. If he had to ruck for for many weeks that is a big loss for us.
    We could use Lobb but he was very impressive as a defender and it's more or less applying a patch to a problem.
    Smith (we now don't need to add Lachlan to his name) is a long way off.
    We need another option because I don't think using players like Gardner in that role will work.Time will tell if the club chooses to address it. We also have to acknowledge that Tim has had his challenges with concussions.

11. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You were suggesting that we should pay 1.2M a year for Tim even though you now actually support Kane's view on rucks not being important? That was a lot of money you were prepared to pay for a non important role.
    As BT highlights Darcy is a forward who provides a chop out in the ruck. If he had to ruck for for many weeks that is a big loss for us.
    We could use Lobb but he was very impressive as a defender and it's more or less applying a patch to a problem.
    Smith (we now don't need to add Lachlan to his name) is a long way off.
    We need another option because I don't think using players like Gardner in that role will work.Time will tell if the club chooses to address it. We also have to acknowledge that Tim has had his challenges with concussions.
    Tim also has big challenges in finals. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying Tim knows for a fact he’s playing each week no matter how good or bad he plays because he has no competition for the role. He’s the only guy on the list who doesn’t need to fight for his spot. This year he played like it. But like you, I’m not sure the club will address it unfortunately.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rucks as in just hit outs, the old fashioned ruck role is dead- the ruckman needs to do alot of work around the ground, which Tim does.

PS: On salary I said we should pay market value.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There hasn’t been anyone I’ve seen delisted yet that I’d want to bring on board, but typically the better options will get cut in the next few weeks now that trade week is mercifully over.

I hope we keep our powder dry for now.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Rucks as in just hit outs, the old fashioned ruck role is dead- the ruckman needs to do alot of work around the ground, which Tim does.

PS: On salary I said we should pay market value.
    I don't disagree, I wanted us to keep Tim but it's an important role that needs have some coverage. Suggesting Darcy, Lobb and Smith as the coverage if Tim misses to me is problematic

PS And in the voting selected 1.2M

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I thought West Coast were offering, so I picked market value.

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I thought West Coast were offering, so I picked market value.
    Fair point.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree, I wanted us to keep Tim but it's an important role that needs have some coverage. Suggesting Darcy, Lobb and Smith as the coverage if Tim misses to me is problematic

If we get someone for coverage, they have to be prepared to play VFL, like Tom Campbell is doing at Dees and not have ambition like Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

If we get someone for coverage, they have to be prepared to play VFL, like Tom Campbell is doing at Dees and not have ambition like Sweet.
    Exactly. We need a player capable of coming in for 4 to 8 weeks during the season like Fort did for Brisbane.
    Lobb was clearly that man for us but has turned himself into a very good back man. Now we need to see if we can find someone else. Perhaps we can't but we really should be open to it.