Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  59
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating the 2024 Trade Period (after 7.30 Wednesday)

If we have learnt anything from the trade period it is you cannot allow marquee players to get to the final year of a contract especially if there is a hint that they may be unsettled.

2. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We didn?t fare well but no real fault of our own.

Smith obviously wanted out. Out of contract- zero bargaining power (not sure why there is no compensation pick like other situations receive - seems like we get screwed). Happy to see him go.

Macrae still had a couple of years left to run on his contract wanted more game time. Probably a poor call signing him to 5 years a few years ago but came off a great season. Game is passing him by quickly. Think this is a good move for club and player.

Daniel - this one kills me. I get it but it sucks. A great guy and a leader. Will be missed by the playing group. Sure on the periphery but still had loads to offer both on and off the field. A big loss. Sure we are compensated well but it still hurts.

Kennedy wanting to come to us is a bonus. Always thought he was a good player. Reckon he will impact the team with he footy smarts and big body. Not sure on his personality but seems like a professional with a good attitude. This is a bonus.

Regardless I reckon I would rate this a C- purely on ins/ outs and draft picks but given that our hand was forced improves this to a B-.

I feel we are like a middle of the road English premier league team where we are a feeder club to the big 4 or 5 teams. A bit like an Aston Villa/ Everton where we punch above our weight on occasions but are forced to deal with crap from the overlords of the competition who force our hand and bend over to the power clubs. It is an uneven playing field and occasions we have good fortune eg. NGA and father-son and even then it is highlighted by the elite media just how lucky we are.

Given all that we punch above our weight and hopefully kick some ass next year and stick it up ?em.

4. Likes josie, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am really surprised by the level of negativity on here in relation to our trade period and the general post-season vibes. We aren't talking about 2021 Smith, Macrae and Daniel - Smith is no guarantee to get to those heights ever again (hello Stringer), and Macrae and Daniel are bit part players for us now. We got literally zero output from Smith this year, and combined with the fringe output from Macrae and Daniel, we had our best season since 2021 with a much stronger game profile that is much better suited to the modern game. That's not even factoring in Kennedy to Aldi-fill the giant hole left by Dunkley's departure and the fact that he outperformed all 3 outgoing players in 2024, and will likely do so again in 2025 (he's only 27yo) with a much lower contract.

So we have saved enormous salary cap relief with not a huge impost on actual 2024 onfield performance - big tick (especially next year when we retain our core stars and also hit the FA market hard). We have addressed the defensive big-bodied midfielder hole in our structure since Dunkley left - another tick. And we have strengthened our draft hand this year with 2 picks inside the top 25 that we didn't have yesterday - tick.

Macrae and Daniel are fabric players and quality men, so their loss will hurt from an intangible perspective. I won't venture into some of the stuff written about Kennedy in other threads but the word on him is that he is the consummate team man and was universally loved and admired by teammates and fans of his last club. And he is durable and tough as nails with defensive-minded instincts that our midfield is in desperately short supply of and has been since late in the 3rd qtr of the 2021 GF - I would much rather someone like Kennedy and his team-first ethic in our club than someone of the Smith ilk, who is single-point focused on building an off-field empire, and who uses his actual playing career (you know, the important bit) as just another tool to build his personal brand and exposure.

Power has turned pig shit into strawberry jam this off-season.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am really surprised by the level of negativity on here in relation to our trade period and the general post-season vibes. We aren't talking about 2021 Smith, Macrae and Daniel - Smith is no guarantee to get to those heights ever again (hello Stringer), and Macrae and Daniel are bit part players for us now. We got literally zero output from Smith this year, and combined with the fringe output from Macrae and Daniel, we had our best season since 2021 with a much stronger game profile that is much better suited to the modern game. That's not even factoring in Kennedy to Aldi-fill the giant hole left by Dunkley's departure and the fact that he outperformed all 3 outgoing players in 2024, and will likely do so again in 2025 (he's only 27yo with a much lower contract.

So we have saved enormous salary cap relief with not a huge impost on actual 2024 onfield performance - big tick (especially next year when we retain our core stars and also hit the FA market hard). We have addressed the defensive big-bodied midfielder hole in our structure since Dunkley left - another tick. And we have strengthened our draft hand this year with 2 picks inside the top 25 that we didn't have yesterday - tick.

+1

Exactly my thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

The trade period can only improve us.
    Players lost no longer have currency for us, Smith already left the premises and we get a good draftee plus hard armed Kennedy and freed up funds galore.
    Zen trade period, even stoic and epic.

8. Likes ReLoad, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am really surprised by the level of negativity on here in relation to our trade period and the general post-season vibes. We aren't talking about 2021 Smith, Macrae and Daniel - Smith is no guarantee to get to those heights ever again (hello Stringer), and Macrae and Daniel are bit part players for us now. We got literally zero output from Smith this year, and combined with the fringe output from Macrae and Daniel, we had our best season since 2021 with a much stronger game profile that is much better suited to the modern game. That's not even factoring in Kennedy to Aldi-fill the giant hole left by Dunkley's departure and the fact that he outperformed all 3 outgoing players in 2024, and will likely do so again in 2025 (he's only 27yo) with a much lower contract.

Macrae and Daniel are fabric players and quality men, so their loss will hurt from an intangible perspective. I won't venture into some of the stuff written about Kennedy in other threads but the word on him is that he is the consummate team man and was universally loved and admired by teammates and fans of his last club. And he is durable and tough as nails with defensive-minded instincts that our midfield is in desperately short supply of and has been since late in the 3rd qtr of the 2021 GF - I would much rather someone like Kennedy and his team-first ethic in our club than someone of the Smith ilk, who is single-point focused on building an off-field empire, and who uses his actual playing career (you know, the important bit) as just another tool to build his personal brand and exposure.

I think a lot of the reactions have to do with moving on favorite sons leaving home so I get why it hits some nerves.
    In reality though Daniel and Macrae would struggle to get back to 20 games a season type players for us so we should wish them all the best. Smith however, is an ungrateful so and so and I don't think many will really miss him but perhaps if he comes good we will reconsider.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Overall it's not good but it's no fault of our own for the trade period.

Could we have gotten ore for Smith? Possibly? We were completely over a barrel here dealing with 1 club who finished high on the ladder (again) realistically we couldn't get much better, maybe a little more at the back end but it's minute.

Macrae was about right. It's amazing the chest beating I saw through socials and forums about how he is worth so much more but we inadvertently devalued him by subbing him and siting him in the VFL numerous times. How could we expect more?

Daniel was a good deal, currently pick 25 is about right.

Kennedy for 38 is overs. A player not wanted by his club we go and give them a 2nd Rounder for him, I'll say it again, he was not wanted and told to look elsewhere why are we so generous?

Not sure how I feel. We did get what we could out of it so I don't think it's an L. However I am absolutely gutted about losing Daniel and Macrae, they're heart and soul players and losing both in one hit is and will be damaging. I've said it many times, so many are saying how great it is too shed so much money in the cap, great but for what exactly? Butters? Not a chance. Norf have had spending money for years and years and cannot spend it. I have a horrible feeling we are currently at the crossroads and are about to tip toe down a very long and dark path. We are feeding clubs, strong ones, while each year weakening. Kennedy and a couple of 2nd rounders are not going to make us any stronger.

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst it was only trade week it means little the season proper, I can’t say we improved our team. Losing 3 players and gaining 1 immediately says that. Talk was we wanted a top 10 pick for BS, we got what Geelong originally offered and a little pick upgrade so we strengthened a direct opponent for not much. The general consensus from the footy pundits is we didn’t do well. Again it was only trade week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Whilst it was only trade week it means little the season proper, I can’t say we improved our team. Losing 3 players and gaining 1 immediately says that. Talk was we wanted a top 10 pick for BS, we got what Geelong originally offered and a little pick upgrade so we strengthened a direct opponent for not much. The general consensus from the footy pundits is we didn’t do well. Again it was only trade week.
    Do we actually give a **** what the general footy pundits think?

Every year they ram down our throats how Essendon have won trade week and they've been a basket case for 20+ years. The likes of Jon Ralph can GAGF!

As Sedat said we've turned an awful hand into the best we could do and have the footy landscape to thank for giving us no leverage at all.

14. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, mighty_west liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Every year they ram down our throats how Essendon have won trade week and they've been a basket case for 20+ years. The likes of Jon Ralph can GAGF!

As Sedat said we've turned an awful hand into the best we could do and have the footy landscape to thank for giving us no leverage at all.
    Honestly, whoever the pundits say won and lost trade week you basically need to assume the opposite.

One thing I forgot to mention is we had a specific value placed on XOH and didn't bat an eyelid when GWS demanded more - we simply walked away (unlike most other clubs who fold). Sam Power just does not overpay what he believes a player is worth - not sure how many more examples we need that Power is a fantastic negotiator (selling or buying) and is one of the most important assets at our club.

Connors even mentioned in his interview this morning that he was desperately pushing Geelong to pony up the upgrade in order to get the Smith deal done - so you have the most powerful player manager stable in the game actually doing the bidding on behalf Power with the destination club. People are trashing the upgrade of picks as nothing but it secured Kennedy and off-loaded the entire Macrae salary off the books for no extra collateral - I bet Mackie hated giving this upgrade back.

Power has a formidable reputation with the people that actually matter. His reputation is shit with the gutter scribes because he refuses to give them any #CoNtEnT, but they ultimately don't matter. If we win a flag they will just rewrite history and praise us from pillar to post. These scribes have more positions than the Kama Sutra and are best ignored.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, josie, dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talk was we wanted a top 10 pick for BS, we got what Geelong originally offered and a little pick upgrade .
    Realistically, we had no way to improve what we got. The alternative was send him to the draft and we get zero. I know the system stinks, but what else could we have done?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes josie, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

That's what i don't get with people, who gives a rats tossbag what others think, the media have an agenda most of the time anyway and then see things with a narrow view, they don't take in to account the salary dump from two much loved Bullgods who are really now only depth players at our club which will help keep Darcy and co at the club because other clubs will come hard with stupid overblown contracts to prize them out.

Post Thanks / Like

We help/improve the team by moving on stacks of cap space to give to the likes of Darcy and Bont, Richards etc, Marra again the year after, talk we wanted a top 10 pick, off course we do, we're not going to say we want a 3rd rounder? We know Geelong play hardball as much as we do, in the end we got paid unders but we also got paid overs for Daniel imo, it was only trade well, well that's what we're discussing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Realistically, we had no way to improve what we got. The alternative was send him to the draft and we get zero. I know the system stinks, but what else could we have done?
    Yeah all this chatter about kicking up a stink and sending him into the draft was just diabolical, simply dumb, you don't that if you want to improve your position as a club just to "make a point", you have to use your leadership skills on making smart decisions, not running on emotion, in the end we now have a good draft hand in a very strong draft.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at the clubs picks. If we swap 35 & 48 for 27-28. And say trade a F1 to get into the first round. We’ll have the most picks inside the top 30 after Richmond. And our rebuild is miles in front obviously. Let’s see what Sam can trade in picks.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023