Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  53
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Power, List Boss - From Start to Now

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Clubs like ours can?t let valuable/required players get out of contract. They either extend or we shop them around a year early if we want to maximise value. We should have learned that lesson with Dunkley and moved Floglenka on last trade period. Hopefully this year?s experience reinforces it.
    Like it or not, that’s our reality now unless the AFEL step in to protect smaller clubs and the power imbalance players have. Fans won’t like seeing guys go under contract either, they didn’t last night, but we have a choice between the lesser of two evils. For example, if Marra won’t extend next year, I’d shop him and combine his $1M salary with out large salary cap space and shop big.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clubs like ours can?t let valuable/required players get out of contract. They either extend or we shop them around a year early if we want to maximise value. We should have learned that lesson with Dunkley and moved Floglenka on last trade period. Hopefully this year?s experience reinforces it.
    Should we have shopped Bont, Richards and Darcy this trade period then?

Clearly it has to be a case by case basis, not a blanket rule.

4. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about it, it must be hard to know if the player is going to be around. We are either very confident we are going to re-sign these players or just plain unlucky they change their mind through a monster offer. We should have known Dunkley was leaving after the Essendon episode, so that was a bad move.

Big names next year are The Bont, Ed and Darcy. Ed is the only concern for me, and we better be confident he will be around, otherwise, we should have shopped him now.

Edit: Didn't see Axeman's post that says the same.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Like it or not, that’s our reality now unless the AFEL step in to protect smaller clubs and the power imbalance players have. Fans won’t like seeing guys go under contract either, they didn’t last night, but we have a choice between the lesser of two evils. For example, if Marra won’t extend next year, I’d shop him and combine his $1M salary with out large salary cap space and shop big.
    Absolutely. If young players don?t want to extend or want to move prior to free agency, cash them in and get more talent in. We made good list decisions with Jacko and Caleb, but are willing to do the same if they?re under 25.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Should we have shopped Bont, Richards and Darcy this trade period then?
    Richards yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Richards yes.
    Wasn't there an article saying Ed was close to re-signing?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thinking about it, it must be hard to know if the player is going to be around. We are either very confident we are going to re-sign these players or just plain unlucky they change their mind through a monster offer. We should have known Dunkley was leaving after the Essendon episode, so that was a bad move.

Big names next year are The Bont, Ed and Darcy. Ed is the only concern for me, and we better be confident he will be around, otherwise, we should have shopped him now.
    Dunks and Floglenka were both obvious flight risks. I get missing out on the Dunkley one, but we should have moved mullet boy last year. Would have secured a much better deal and not dealt with all the bullshit throughout the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Richards yes.
    I agree but we must be very confident he?ll re-sign. I don?t think anyone could say the same of Dunkley or Floglenka.

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunks and Floglenka were both obvious flight risks. I get missing out on the Dunkley one, but we should have moved mullet boy last year. Would have secured a much better deal and not dealt with all the bullshit throughout the year.
    I wonder why we didn't? Did he give the club some indication he was staying?

Post Thanks / Like

We should have a good idea who intends to stay and who doesn't based on extension negotiations. I suppose it gets tricky though if the player wants to hold off in order to boost their value from a good year. But surely we've got to get a feel for this and point out to said player/manager we need intent as we don't want to get reamed at trade time again.

Richards is a slight concern for mine. Marra is a huge concern. If he isn't extended next year then he should absolutely be shipped off.

Post Thanks / Like

Richards yes.
    Externally he has made the right noises about re-sigining. Internally we don't know but there certainly haven't been any rumblings like there were for Smith 12 months ago. Trading Richards out now would have been a disaster for our midfield next season unless we were really not confident of obtaining his signature during this off season.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't there an article saying Ed was close to re-signing?
    Yes there was. His response was quite strong about re-signing. Not the typical bs you get from ppl like Dunkley and Floglenka.

However we're all a bit distrusting so we'll never know.

Post Thanks / Like

Supposedly he told the club he wanted to stay. But it's all hearsay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Supposedly he told the club he wanted to stay. But it's all hearsay.
    The other issue these days is the all mighty dollar and extended years, which helps change players minds.

Post Thanks / Like

We may never know but I certainly don't find it difficult to believe that he could have been saying all the right things after last season and then after he did his knee he changed his mind over the course of this year.

It may look like a list management error in hindsight and from the outside but we are simply speculating without having all the information.