Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  63
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Power, List Boss - From Start to Now

To date he hasn't let us down outside of a couple of contracts a bit too generous in tenure. For me to truly think he's as good as people think he is he'll again need to nail his draft picks with a reasonable draft hand, like he did last year.

Outside of that, agree with most of the commentary around him.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The Paul Connors interview this morning on SEN was quite illuminating. He could not have been more effusive in his praise of Sam Power:

"Sam Power is very good at his job"
    "Don't even waste your time threatening someone like Sam Power, he will just laugh in your face"
    It was a good interview. Connors even got a dig in about the Footy season cherry picker Garrie Lyon going on 20 week break.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    To date he hasn't let us down outside of a couple of contracts a bit too generous in tenure. For me to truly think he's as good as people think he is he'll again need to nail his draft picks with a reasonable draft hand, like he did last year.

Outside of that, agree with most of the commentary around him.
    Is he in charge of who we draft?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Is he in charge of who we draft?
    Only if we draft well.

But seriously, he heads up list management and recruitment so yes, he is in charge of who we draft.

His role has overseen total list management strategy, including TPP management and compliance, player contracting, player acquisition and recruiting.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/t...ment/sam-power

Post Thanks / Like

Only if we draft well.
    Oh right. Let's hope he's in charge this year then.

Post Thanks / Like

Only if we draft well.

But seriously, he heads up list management and recruitment so yes, he is in charge of who we draft.

His role has overseen total list management strategy, including TPP management and compliance, player contracting, player acquisition and recruiting.

He would be putting trust in the recruitment managers advice
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Only if we draft well.

I take that to mean he has input on the type of player we prioritise from an overall list balance perspective, eg 'Sweet just left so we need to allocate a spot to a developing ruck since we haven't found anyone in the trade period.'

Who we draft and our talent identification is not Sam's responsibility aside from the fact he's maybe Milesi's boss. By the same metric Grant is responsible for who we draft as the head of football.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think it?s a case by case thing. Looking at the risk profiles. Dunkley had a higher risk profile and BS risk profile was off the charts. I think Marra might be higher next year possibly so that?s why I mention him. But guys like Ed or Darcy to me get the club and to me have less risk. But generally speaking we need to look at doing this more unfortunately. Or the AFEL do something about it. I read even Buckley thinks clubs should be able to trade players against their will. There needs to be some solution to the problems we face by the AFEL ideally. If not, then we just:must have to look at flight risks and cash in while there?s peak value.
    Have to be able to trade players, otherwise we have the silly situation of a valuable asset having a single market, which means that their pioce is artificially low.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I take that to mean he has input on the type of player we prioritise from an overall list balance perspective, eg 'Sweet just left so we need to allocate a spot to a developing ruck since we haven't found anyone in the trade period.'

Who we draft and our talent identification is not Sam's responsibility aside from the fact he's maybe Milesi's boss. By the same metric Grant is responsible for who we draft as the head of football.
    If Sam heads up the department within the broader football department, it's his responsibility just like all coaching is Beveridge's etc.

Much like people we trade in, Sam wouldn't be watching potential draftees every week, our talent people under him would be, and reporting into him via Milesi. Each of those talent scouts would have their biases towards players, Melisi would have his biases towards his people and the people they want to recruit.

Power would surely make the call in the end. If not, then we have a massive governance issue as lines of accountability aren't clear.

Sam should have the deciding vote on what his department puts forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He would be putting trust in the recruitment managers advice
    Like any good leader, yes, he should - providing it isn't blind. But that doesn't mean he isn't accountable for both good and bad decisions made by his department.

Post Thanks / Like

If Sam heads up the department within the broader football department, it's his responsibility just like all coaching is Beveridge's etc.
    Wouldn't that actually be Egan?

Much like people we trade in, Sam wouldn't be watching potential draftees every week, our talent people under him would be, and reporting into him via Milesi. Each of those talent scouts would have their biases towards players, Melisi would have his biases towards his people and the people they want to recruit.

Power would surely make the call in the end. If not, then we have a massive governance issue as lines of accountability aren't clear.

Sam should have the deciding vote on what his department puts forward.
    When I watch the 'recruiters discuss' videos, while I understand these are for fan insight and not necessarily purely transparent looks at what happens behind closed doors, it seem pretty clear that Dom is the one across the players themselves. Sam might have the final say at tweaking the talent order based on list needs and making calls on pick trades but the talent identification surely has to be 90% on the 'National Recruiting Manager'. I get Sam has managerial responsibility but if it's not Dom's job to get this right then what even is his job?

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...5-joel-freijah