Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 Team, 2025

Is there a reason as to why so many are quick to list JOD in the starting team? Personally of Buss is ready I would play him over JOD, he looked lost in the final.

Post Thanks / Like

Kennedy will play Round 1 and justifiably so. He is not like a Harmes or a Bramble who were playing VFL for their former club or delisted.

Lets us go back to the midfield style we had with Dunkley on 2021 except with more options this time such as Richards.

Post Thanks / Like

B: Bramble, Jones, JOD
    HB: Dale, Lobb, Treloar
    C: Freijah, Richards, Williams
    HF: Sanders, Naughton, McNeil
    F: English, Marra, Weightman
    R: Darcy, Bont, Kennedy
    IC: Libba, West, JJ, Gallagher
    Sub: VDM

I?m probably on my own but I?d be looking at a move of Treloar to half back. We can extend his career, use his calm head and pace, and he?s shown in patches when he?s play there he can do it. It also helps unlock our midfield rotations.

JOD supports Jones and Lobb ahead of Coffield and Khamis, but it?s a spot up for grabs.

Duryea hasn?t quite made my side but is in the mix.

I?ve pushed Freijah upto the wing. Let?s get some games into him in this position and he can play a range of different roles as required. His kicking and 80m play make him a player we need to play through as much as possible.

Sanders starts in the high forward / midfield poison chalice role for us. I?m probably putting the Dale Morris on him but what can you do. He?s our next in line midfielder and I?m hoping he can demonstrate his core strength and running power here with a goal sense.

McNeil has earned a spot in our forward mix and is ahead of West and VDM right now, bu absolutely that spot is another up for grabs.

I?m starting Darcy for the CB and English forward and having them rotate with higher comfort levels of English doing work around the ground but not as the starting big man in the square.

Libba is on the bench, again for our midfield mix, I want to start Bont, Richards and Kennedy and Libba will play plenty in there but he?s now a rotation not a mainstay. I?m not sure what other string he adds to his bow over summer? It kinda feels high midfield minutes or bust but let?s see.

JJ as our spare runner, West as our spare forward/midfielder and Gallagher/Garcia for the last spot. I went with Gags because the MC will, but it?s down to those two for me.

VDM as starting sub given he can play all over and will make the side if fit based on history.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

McNeil over West? West had a break out year.

The comparison says West is ahead:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarnTheScray View Post
    Is there a reason as to why so many are quick to list JOD in the starting team? Personally of Buss is ready I would play him over JOD, he looked lost in the final.
    Had Buss debuted this season he'd probably get a few more wanting him and while JOD is probably a slight favorite all that could change over summer's training. Busslinger is close to being right in the mix.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B - Duryea - Jones - Busslinger
    HB - Bramble - Lobb - Dale
    C - Freijah - Kennedy - Williams
    HF - Jamarra - Weightman - Naughton
    F - Garcia - Darcy - West

C - English - Bont - Richards

INT - Treloar - Sanders - JOD - Liberatore

SUB : VDM

Time for Busslinger to play, obviously things possibly change with a few players depending on pre season but as of right now this is what i'd like to see, JOD, Buku, Coffield all fighting for the one position, Jones is also a watch to see how he's holding up.

A fit and firing JJ also comes in for consideration for the defensive running positions, heck even a wing if needed, Freijah get's to a wing, just feel as though it will end up being his natural position although midfield time could be the go sometime down the track.

Kennedy straight into the middle, Jamarra and Naughton like to run, a little strange with Flea at CHF but he's a good mark as we know plays better with less of the talls in the forward like so if those two get on their bikes it gives him space and Darcy too as the close to goal marking option, obviously all forwards will rotate and and play various positions in the fwd half, West and Cody with more centre square action into the mix which will also get those two into the game more, Garcia too.

Had CD earmarked to play as a small forward for something different, yes understand he's not a "natural" forward yet he did play forward quite a bit in the under 18's rotating from the midfield and did it well, but he's gone now so Garcia slots in.

I have a watch on Libba, not sure how long he has left as much as well love him, he's on the bench but he could also be last season's Daniel or MacRae, seems to be really slowing down and those damn head knocks!

7. Likes jDogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B - Bramble - Jones - ????
    HB - Freijah - Lobb - Dale
    C - ???? - Kennedy - Williams
    HF - Jamarra -Naughton- Treloar
    F - weightman- Darcy- West

C - English - Bont - Richards

INT - JJ - Sanders - JOD - Liberatore

SUB : Gags

No McNeil. No Vandermeer…they aren’t best 22.
    The ???? Is because I don’t rate whst we have…either not good enough, or not ready.
    English was almost “?????” As well.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Very different trajectories. West had a good season end poorly and didn't even get picked for the final. McNeil finished with the best form of his career so far in a role we are desperate to fill

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    HF - Jamarra -Naughton- Treloar
    F - weightman- Darcy- West

No McNeil. No Vandermeer?they aren?t best 22.
    Well considering they both play the role we are keen for 2 guys to fill every week and that none of the guys listed above do then I think they kind of are? I assume you are saying that role isn't necessary to be filled, or that they aren't clearly better than Jones there?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Very different trajectories. West had a good season end poorly and didn't even get picked for the final. McNeil finished with the best form of his career so far in a role we are desperate to fill

Well considering they both play the role we are keen for 2 guys to fill every week and that none of the guys listed above do then I think they kind of are? I assume you are saying that role isn't necessary to be filled, or that they aren't clearly better than Jones there?
    I’m not being anti-McNeil. And I think we missed by not playing West in the EF. He averaged over 3 tackles a game and kicked 25 goals and had 15 goal assists. A bloke who contributed 40 goals this season is to me ahead of McNeil. They can both play and I’d consider McNeil a switch to defence where he might shine even brighter, or West more midfield time. 40 goals from him directly and in assists, who also chases and tackles, is not a guy I personally leave out of my Round 1 team or rate ahead of McNeil who finished off well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got West in my 22, so it’s a close call on who starts in the 18 as I said in my post. We’ve got some competition for those spots. McNeil’s to lose currently but a lot to play out over the next 4 months.

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

And that’s really my point soupaman. They shouldn’t be best 22, ….they probably are in that 20-26 bracket, but that also shows where our list is. Imho.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I’ve got West in my 22, so it’s a close call on who starts in the 18 as I said in my post. We’ve got some competition for those spots. McNeil’s to lose currently but a lot to play out over the next 4 months.
    Fair enough. The Treloar call is interesting as I think too we need to manage him and mix up our mid mix. I can see the benefit of him with his speed spending time off the HBF, but also off the HFF as his goal kicking accuracy is great (29.11 over the passed two years, some posters in that too).

15. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. The Treloar call is interesting as I think too we need to manage him and mix up our mid mix. I can see the benefit of him with his speed spending time off the HBF, but also off the HFF as his goal kicking accuracy is great (29.11 over the passed two years, some posters in that too).
    Yep. Treloar and Libba are fascinating case studies.

Treloar has more scope for a number of roles and I actually see half back as an area of need with another experienced runner / playmaker. It’s kinda like when Boyd went back, or some of the roles players like Pendlebury etc have played over recent years (or at least, roles I think they’ve played).

Libba is a harder one. If he’s not spending 85% game time in the contest, where does he go?

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Yep. Treloar and Libba are fascinating case studies.

Treloar has more scope for a number of roles and I actually see half back as an area of need with another experienced runner / playmaker. It’s kinda like when Boyd went back, or some of the roles players like Pendlebury etc have played over recent years (or at least, roles I think they’ve played).

Libba is a harder one. If he’s not spending 85% game time in the contest, where does he go?
    If I’m completely honest with myself, I have a big concern about our performances next year and Libba. He’s in the guts in it on the bench. His gap between poor and good footy seems to be increasing and I think time it’s catching him quickly. I hope he proves me wrong, but I’m a little worried as I think if he’s selected Bevo has no real choice other than to back him in. But I’m not confident that’s the best thing.