Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Clarke Experiment, Private Schools and Perceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I don't get the argument.

If you're a good kid once you're in the afl system you will be ok.

Of course clubs are going to look at the best schools.

Do you want your guys from Melton Tech?

Hey I went there, Tyson Lane and Shane Ellen are my bros and all but yeah i wouldn't trust them to deliver too often.

I was riding my bike to school footy with Ty.
    We got pulled over by the cops, no helmets.

He gives a fake name!

I give my real name.

The percentages of where are they now from good schools will be higher that's just the facts.

If youre looking for truth Dr Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall.
    I think the point mjp has made is that is not necessarily the case. Not because these schools are so great, just that the environment they typically create (along with mummy and daddy being well off in most circumstances) is most similar to AFL life and the draftees will know what they need to do/what is expected of you without having to be told. And maybe clubs being used to that means they don't know when/what to tell these kids not from that background.

Hopefully I've not butchered his points.

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of pricks from private schools that forge out careers (in many industries, not just AFL) because they know how to toe the societal line and have the confidence/ego to get ahead.

While there are also plenty of successful people who don't go through private schools, it's undeniable that we are increasingly being told that the private school kids are somehow better than others. That's not something that governments/CEOs/AFL House are likely to change, given they mostly attended private schools themselves and can thank that for their career progression.

It would be wonderful if the AFL provided better programs and opportunities to children outside the private school systems, but they're never going to be societal leaders on something like that. They will only change if general society changes - and call me a pessimist, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Plenty of pricks from private schools that forge out careers (in many industries, not just AFL) because they know how to toe the societal line and have the confidence/ego to get ahead.

While there are also plenty of successful people who don't go through private schools, it's undeniable that we are increasingly being told that the private school kids are somehow better than others. That's not something that governments/CEOs/AFL House are likely to change, given they mostly attended private schools themselves and can thank that for their career progression.

It would be wonderful if the AFL provided better programs and opportunities to children outside the private school systems, but they're never going to be societal leaders on something like that. They will only change if general society changes - and call me a pessimist, but I can't see that happening any time soon.
    Great post JD.

They'll only change if the well spring of talent runs dry.

I was being flippant when I said I don't get the argument.

I do.

But it's so low down on the agenda for public schools.

The AFL needs to provide programs and I think that's only going to happen as I said if there's a dearth of talent.

Post Thanks / Like

They call them elite schools now, by the way.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Great post JD.

They'll only change if the well spring of talent runs dry.

I was being flippant when I said I don't get the argument.

I do.

But it's so low down on the agenda for public schools.

The AFL needs to provide programs and I think that's only going to happen as I said if there's a dearth of talent.
    And I almost guarantee that each member of the AFL Commission has a deal with their respective alumni to push ahead students from their preferred schools. It's a bit like being a potential father-son pick affords you better/more opportunities, so does going to the right school.

This whole thread just makes me think of BT fawning over which school some debutante for the bombers went to. I couldn't care less, but mjp has opened my eyes even more to how big of a role it plays in the talent pool these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    They call them elite schools now, by the way.
    Is that because when the government takes a break from rolling their pork barrels down the hill to pissant no wing Sedat Stadium, they funnel it all towards their alma mater, so they can hardly be called private when they receive more government funding than most public schools?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Is that because when the government takes a break from rolling their pork barrels down the hill to pissant no wing Sedat Stadium, they funnel it all towards their alma mater, so they can hardly be called private when they receive more government funding than most public schools?
    No, I think it's genuinely because the people who attend and graduate from them are elite in every way.

Ready to develop property in unsustainable ways you can't possibly imagine.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    No, I think it's genuinely because the people who attend and graduate from them are elite in every way.
    It's not even midnight, you normally save this stuff for later in the evening.

10. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spending $30k a year to all but guarantee your kid turns into a shithead sounds like mark behaviour to me but what do I know I’m not elite.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -