Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  98
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Four-headed monster

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We could have a 5 headed monster at times if English wonders down there
    Oh boy!

If Bont plays and also finds himself down there as he has been playing forward a bit more lately, that would be some sight, we might have to start giving them Giant nicknames.

Starting 6:
    Naughton (Godzilla)
    Darcy (Atlas)
    Jamarra (Goliath)
    Lobb (Brobdingnad)
    English (Polyphemus)
    Bont (Balor)

2. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Oh boy!

If Bont plays and also finds himself down there as he has been playing forward a bit more lately, that would be some sight, we might have to start giving them Giant nicknames.

Starting 6:
    Naughton (Godzilla)
    Darcy (Atlas)
    Jamarra (Goliath)
    Lobb (Brobdingnad)
    English (Polyphemus)
    Bont (Balor)
    Croft is waiting in the wings .
    The amazing thing is they are all very good with a ground ball .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Oh boy!

Starting 6:
    Naughton (Godzilla)
    Darcy (Atlas)
    Jamarra (Goliath)
    Lobb (Brobdingnad)
    English (Polyphemus)
    Bont (Balor)
    Interesting concept. Venturing a touch beyond size

Godzilla. 'Invented' in 1954, the year of the first premiership - has to go to Bont, the only one among them who's played in a premiership.
    Atlas. Carried the World on his shoulder. That has to be Bont, carries the team on his shoulder.
    Goliath. The Champion big man defeated by an undersized boy. Any takers ?
    Brobdingnad. A country rather than a being. Gulliver described Brobdingnadians as ugly and gross. Any takers ?
    Polyphemus. Son of Poseidon. Darcy, son of another Giant but one-eyed ?
    Balor. Like Polyphemus, one-eyed but of Irish rather than Greek mythology. Darcy ? Ugle-Hagan ?

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Listening to Beveridge after match press conference against Port Adelaide I get the impression he is actually rethinking if the THREE headed monster works.

Clearly out best offensive game of the year was against the dockers where both Naughton and Darcy missed (Beveridge specifically mentioned this).

Our next two matches with both Naughton and Darcy back in we have been extremely poor forward of the ball (scoring and pressure).

This could be attitude based or purely ability.

Is it time to start trying different mixes forward of the ball? - Naughton and JUH to lead the attack with either English or Darcy playing VFL. Or does JUH go to the VFL?

Is English our first ruck or do we give the opportunity to Darcy?

Do both Lobb and Naughton go back, and we let Darcy and JUH spearhead our attack?

The one big concern is the ability or lack of desire of both Darcy and JUH in applying forward 50 pressure.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

7. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Listening to Beveridge after match press conference against Port Adelaide I get the impression he is actually rethinking if the THREE headed monster works.

Clearly out best offensive game of the year was against the dockers where both Naughton and Darcy missed (Beveridge specifically mentioned this).

Our next two matches with both Naughton and Darcy back in we have been extremely poor forward of the ball (scoring and pressure).

This could be attitude based or purely ability.

Is it time to start trying different mixes forward of the ball? - Naughton and JUH to lead the attack with either English or Darcy playing VFL. Or does JUH go to the VFL?

Is English our first ruck or do we give the opportunity to Darcy?

Do both Lobb and Naughton go back, and we let Darcy and JUH spearhead our attack?

The one big concern is the ability or lack of desire of both Darcy and JUH in applying forward 50 pressure.
    That there are so many questions is not a good thing. Darcy needs the games and will be fine in time, and we are paying $2.1M a season to Naughton & Marra to not dominate games and usually spoil each other. I don’t see Naughton ever going back even though it’s worth at least assessing. I would ruck Lobb as I’d let Tim walk but I don’t think the club will do that so whilst he’s looked handy down back who knows. I don’t see bigger name players being dropped even if they deserve it. I think we don’t know what we are doing.

This is the post for GVGjr to question to forward coach (& MC).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo lamented a 'lack of contest forward of the ball' - which is why Lobb went down there and then Bont did as well.

To me, that's aimed at Marra. He's had continuity, he doesn't roll through the ruck and we direct a lot of ball to him. Think Marra's effort and contest might be mentioned in a few match review sessions this week.

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Bevo lamented a 'lack of contest forward of the ball' - which is why Lobb went down there and then Bont did as well.

To me, that's aimed at Marra. He's had continuity, he doesn't roll through the ruck and we direct a lot of ball to him. Think Marra's effort and contest might be mentioned in a few match review sessions this week.
    3 1/2 seasons of the same. Surely those defects must have been mentioned in match review sessions before now. If so, to no obvious effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That there are so many questions is not a good thing. Darcy needs the games and will be fine in time, and we are paying $2.1M a season to Naughton & Marra to not dominate games and usually spoil each other. I don’t see Naughton ever going back even though it’s worth at least assessing. I would ruck Lobb as I’d let Tim walk but I don’t think the club will do that so whilst he’s looked handy down back who knows. I don’t see bigger name players being dropped even if they deserve it. I think we don’t know what we are doing.

This is the post for GVGjr to question to forward coach (& MC).
    It's clear supporters aren't up for a discussion on our forward line or to stare into why it isn't functioning the way it should just yet, perhaps at the end of season that might change.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's clear supporters aren't up for a discussion on our forward line or to stare into why it isn't functioning the way it should just yet, perhaps at the end of season that might change.
    Nearly 30 games into having Naughts, Marra, Lobb, Darcy & Flea (& Tim) you’d think the coach and line coach would have the answers. Yet I’m not thinking they do. When Bont rolls through it’s by far and away the most expensive part of the ground for us, so to me it’s weird how with all this investment there’s been large portions of very poor functioning and strategy. I think like most of our problems, they’re so complex that there’s no easy solution. The quickest at seasons end would be a new coach, but that’s not necessarily a silver bullet though.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly 30 games into having Naughts, Marra, Lobb, Darcy & Flea (& Tim) you’d think the coach and line coach would have the answers. Yet I’m not thinking they do. When Bont rolls through it’s by far and away the most expensive part of the ground for us, so to me it’s weird how with all this investment there’s been large portions of very poor functioning and strategy. I think like most of our problems, they’re so complex that there’s no easy solution. The quickest at seasons end would be a new coach, but that’s not necessarily a silver bullet though.
    It will be interesting to see what we do at the end of the season and if it's a focus or not. I suspect Spangher has a contract for 2025 and maybe beyond that given we had to sweeten the offer to keeps the Hawks at bay and it's not like he's a bad coach.
    We seem to have drafted a lot of forwards in recent years and yet it's not Rob Gelling the way they should and we even needed to bring in Brad Johnson to try and improve our goal kicking conversion.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

3 of the 5 are simply poor investments. If all forwards played with the commitment shown by Weightman and Naughton, then this topic wouldn't arise. The problem isn't strategy.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see what we do at the end of the season and if it's a focus or not. I suspect Spangher has a contract for 2025 and maybe beyond that given we had to sweeten the offer to keeps the Hawks at bay and it's not like he's a bad coach.
    We seem to have drafted a lot of forwards in recent years and yet it's not Rob Gelling the way they should and we even needed to bring in Brad Johnson to try and improve our goal kicking conversion.
    Which is perhaps an argument for a new head coach. A different perspective on forward personnel and the strategy, mids rotations, selection, tagging, rucking, etc.

We’ve been scoring more this year, but I agree, I don’t think it’s working as well as it should or could be.

Post Thanks / Like

We are 4th for most Points For, so I think it is gelling. If you look at the forward line, they are all young with no experience, unless Lobb plays there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    3 1/2 seasons of the same. Surely those defects must have been mentioned in match review sessions before now. If so, to no obvious effect.
    Three and a half seasons in the game, averaging 1.8 goals a game this year. The guy will still be 22 when he enters his next season.

Not sure outside of Chris Grant we've seen a player enter the game at Marra's age and deliver this value as a key forward. I get we are going to be paying him a lot but that's on the market and us, not him.

We all want him to be as good as he can be, but I bet he's being coached and trying to get better. And he's had to deal with a lot throughout the year personally and with team dynamics/ absences and balance.

That's not to say he doesn't sometimes shit me, but every player at some point does.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Three and a half seasons in the game, averaging 1.8 goals a game this year. The guy will still be 22 when he enters his next season.

Not sure outside of Chris Grant we've seen a player enter the game at Marra's age and deliver this value as a key forward. I get we are going to be paying him a lot but that's on the market and us, not him.

We all want him to be as good as he can be, but I bet he's being coached and trying to get better. And he's had to deal with a lot throughout the year personally and with team dynamics/ absences and balance.

That's not to say he doesn't sometimes shit me, but every player at some point does.
    "Effort and contest", defects that should never be absent, 1st game or most recent.