Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  122
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goodbye Season 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post

But yesterday there's not one facet of our game or peculiarity in circumstance that if changed would result in a win.
    Disagree.

Did you see that backline we rolled out yesterday.

Our key backs were:

Lobb - 2nd game in the role. (Well, he played 1/4 back there vs GWS last year as well I guess).
    JOD - Game 15 or something - after not having played footy for 2 years...and then he got concussed.
    Coffield - Um - 3rd game in 3 years and 1st game in 3 months.
    Khamis - Has repeatedly shown he is simply not an AFL player (come at me!) and is incredibly inexperienced.

That's what we rolled out...Port GET THE BALL. They run out of stop with intent...This was going to take a mighty effort and what we got was a 'pretty good' effort where a lot of stuff went wrong in q1. We fought it out pretty well...

Honestly not sure what everyone expects (not meant as a personal comment, just don't get the angst about an interstate loss against a good side with our best defender unavailable).

All that said, is it bad we rely on Jones so much? Well, yeah. But we do!!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Port are no good and we should have done better!
    I stand by it.
    Why do you think PA are no good?

I've battled all week with this narrative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Bergman.

Post Thanks / Like

With Rozee back in the team, they have come good again
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    With Rozee back in the team, they have come good again
    Last 5

L - 36 points v Carlton at home.
    L - 22 points v GWS away.
    L - 79 points v Lions home.
    W - 2 points v Saints away.
    W - 48 points v Dogs home.

And they beat the Hawks at home with an arsey goal right at the death.

This is not a serious contender and there's a clear stand out game in that lot.

Re Saints they weren't as good as they are today last week.

6. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last 5

L - 36 points v Carlton at home.
    L - 22 points v GWS away.
    L - 79 points v Lions home.
    W - 2 points v Saints away.
    W - 48 points v Dogs home.

And they beat the Hawks at home with an arsey goal right at the death.

This is not a serious contender and there's a clear stand out game in that lot.

Re Saints they weren't as good as they are today last week.
    So they were in a slump or have they been that bad all year? It's a rhetorical question.

Port at Adelaide Oval on a Saturday afternoon when you have a couple of major outs and an unstable defence is difficult even if Port were actually ordinary. But they're not bad and showed us what happens if we aren't on our game.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

8. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So they were in a slump or have they been that bad all year? It's a rhetorical question.

Port at Adelaide Oval on a Saturday afternoon when you have a couple of major outs and an unstable defence is difficult even if Port were actually ordinary. But they're not bad and showed us what happens if we aren't on our game.
    Bang on. The comp is so even that a few players make a difference. Our backline was way too inexperienced.

What it means for 2024 is that we have a battle. At our best we will worry most teams.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's says more about how shizen our defense is.

Jones fell into our lap how's our defensive long term planning looking.

Don't narc but I said this prior to the season and was why I thought we wouldn't make finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep fair.

I don't rate them at all, but if they get their tails up at home they're hard to stop. For them to give Bevo his second worst first half ever was not good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep fair.

I don't rate them at all, but if they get their tails up at home they're hard to stop. For them to give Bevo his second worst first half ever was not good enough.
    I was a bit surprised that was tracking as his worst ever first half for a while there.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Disagree.

Our key backs were:

Lobb - 2nd game in the role. (Well, he played 1/4 back there vs GWS last year as well I guess).
    JOD - Game 15 or something - after not having played footy for 2 years...and then he got concussed.
    Khamis - Has repeatedly shown he is simply not an AFL player (come at me!) and is incredibly inexperienced.

That's what we rolled out...Port GET THE BALL. They run out of stop with intent...This was going to take a mighty effort and what we got was a 'pretty good' effort where a lot of stuff went wrong in q1. We fought it out pretty well...
    Would love to have you coaching the guys this week with that optimism!

The discount defence did alright I'll give you that. But if Jones and Keath are in the team, does it change the result? Don't think so.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

And don't give any respect to the opposition.

We did absolutely nothing to try and curb the influence of their mids and allowed their HB's way too much space to operate in which meant our (undermanned) defence was left horribly exposed.

Factor in we fluffed whatever opportunities we have in Q1 to rest back some momentum and you're left with the shit-show we viewed.

16. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    And don't give any respect to the opposition.

We did absolutely nothing to try and curb the influence of their mids and allowed their HB's way too much space to operate in which meant our (undermanned) defence was left horribly exposed.

Factor in we fluffed whatever opportunities we have in Q1 to rest back some momentum and you're left with the shit-show we viewed.
    Yep. This was down to one of those (all too common) bad losses where we look lazy and uninspired. This was not one of those Sydney losses.

I think most fans are fairly fatigued of how inconsistent our efforts are week to week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Would love to have you coaching the guys this week with that optimism!

The discount defence did alright I'll give you that. But if Jones and Keath are in the team, does it change the result? Don't think so.
    Well...it changes the mindset of the players. I think you're deadset crazy if you think it doesn't.

Now - should the coaches have done a better job of building belief? Well...maybe. But to me this isn't like Santa Claus - you have to SEE IT to BELIEVE IT. And until the team get confidence with a Lobb/JOD led defensive group, the mindset wont be right...those guys were going OK and the lift in effort and intent was noticeable.

Were we beaten before we ran out? Yep. Were PA energised due to the same reasons before they ran out? Of course...they would have been rubbing their bloody hands together...talk about spoon an extra spoonful of sugar on your weetbix games - they would have been jumping out of their skins looking at our line-up. If you think for a second this isn't what happens when top teams play teams they don't rate, well...you're wrong. So often they come flying out of the gates 'cos that's their mindset - and the lower ranked team just has to do ANYTHING they can to hang on...and if they can, it's amazing what happens. Just ask the Saints.

We weren't ready and we couldn't hang on. That's that. Did we recover and fight it out? YES.

19. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Disagree.

Our key backs were:

Honestly not sure what everyone expects (not meant as a personal comment, just don't get the angst about an interstate loss against a good side with our best defender unavailable).

All that said, is it bad we rely on Jones so much? Well, yeah. But we do!!
    This.

Honestly, I am not sure what everyone expected. I changed my tip to them on the basis that I could see that even if we did play well that they would likely score every time they went in.

I said this somewhere else- aside that disastrous first quarter where nothing went right (and we still should have had 4 goals), they outscored us by only 2.6 for the other three quarters.

If I was a Port supporter I would be a bit pissed off they didn't get up by 100 tbh.