Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Crisis/Opportunity: Planning for the Blues

Okay these are normally mjp's domain and this is going to probably be like mjp when you order it on Wish but...

Not sure how to articulate it but when you have a bunch of guys out or can't do what you want to do, I much prefer the strengths based approach, perhaps even element of surprise approach over the least worst version of what you want.

No Jones, JOD or Naughts. Ouch.

A must for mine is having a tall down back and forward who have the ability and maturity captain the ship a bit. Darcy and Marra can be very dangerous but I think they will get lost with a mature tall forward. I think our best two options here Bont and Lobb (lol how quickly things can change).

With Curnow, I think his speed will kill us before his 1:1 (we are stuffed if it gets to this anyway).

So long story, short (perhaps pardon the pun).

Down back:
    - Lobb (dead if you don't have a guy who can take an intercept mark + mature head). Perhaps using him as an extra behind the ball. Not quite sure as they only go with two talls. I think it's vital we free him up and hope Blues play the extra ruck.
    - Keath seems in. I'd say McKay, I know, eek but free up Lobb.
    - Coff vs Curnow: I know insane. But like I said I think speed is the main concern.

Up forward
    - really rolling the dice but I'd go Bont forward to help out Marra and Darcy. Hopefully Cody is there too
    - Weitering and McGovern I think pray on talls who aren't dangerous or clever with defensive side.
    - ideally I'd give Buku a crack but I don't think he has the IQ to go with a Weitering and doesn't help Darcy or Marra with the mature head thing
    - ideally we have four dangerous targets here and have that element of unpredictability.

I kinda view this game with the hope/forced plan of when we were down two players on the bench vs Swans.

There's a reason, there's a lot of reasons, why I am on my couch and not earning $$$ making the big decisions but I think we have a choice to go safe and reduce blow out possibility or risk it.

2. Thanks GVGjr, chef, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crisis/Opportunity: Planning for the Blues

Coffield will get murdered on Curnow as would Buku. I am not sure what we will do. Sorry, I don't have a solution
    Last edited by bornadog; 08-07-2024 at 09:24 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don’t see an option I like vs Curnow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Yeah I don’t see an option I like vs Curnow.
    This is a mids game.

This is a forwards game.

Since we are unlikely to win 9-goals to 8-goals (due to the whole Curnow thing and our current defensive options), we therefore need to play a 14-goals to 12 game.

Let's SCORE.

I'm already excited at the possibilities...let's go. We can win a game like that with Marra, Darcy and Weightman (please be fit)...Bont will weigh in with a couple, Treloar will sneak one. I'm not afraid of the Carlton mids...

This really is a 'forget what we don't go, let's roll with what we DO GOT!!'.

Match of the Round. Dogs by 10-points.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

This is the tagline of what I was trying to go with.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for fun. The footy media getting stuck into Carlton and Curnow today. I don't have a good feeling about this game.

8. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    This is a mids game.

This is a forwards game.

Since we are unlikely to win 9-goals to 8-goals (due to the whole Curnow thing and our current defensive options), we therefore need to play a 14-goals to 12 game.

Let's SCORE.

I'm already excited at the possibilities...let's go. We can win a game like that with Marra, Darcy and Weightman (please be fit)...Bont will weigh in with a couple, Treloar will sneak one. I'm not afraid of the Carlton mids...

Match of the Round. Dogs by 10-points.
    Patrick is in Brownlow form - put someone on him

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The last couple of weeks we've been considerably down in the scoring department, after hitting high twenties/ thirty scoring shots.

Saying the best way to beat Carlton is by outscoring them is clearly a nuftie thing to say, but it has to be the mentality to score at all costs.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The last couple of weeks we've been considerably down in the scoring department, after hitting high twenties/ thirty scoring shots.

Saying the best way to beat Carlton is by outscoring them is clearly a nuftie thing to say, but it has to be the mentality to score at all costs.
    Unless we go into super Ross Lyon mode but yeah, what you said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

our biggest score was without Naughton. No long bombs and the smaller players hit the scoreboard. Even Lobb?s last goal was the result of a low pass. Put Khamis full forward. I think he was our best goal kicker in the vfl last season. JUH on one wing and Baker on the other, tell both to take the game on. Baker had good form with Footscray for a few weeks and we have seen him kick three goals in a game . Buss at fullback, Lobb at CHB, English at CHF, Darcy wherever he wants to be. That gives us a marking pivot on each line.

play smith as ruck. He is too raw you say. He is better than English was in his first couple of games. And anyway, we don?t do ruck. Then set up the midfield for stopping roles so the ball stays trapped more. We are likely to win the ball in those circumstances.

might not work but at least it is a try.

Or just do what we did earlier in the season to get ourselves into this mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Patrick is in Brownlow form - put someone on him
    I would put Libba on Cripps and go the hard tag. We need to reinvent Libba against those with a strong and fast midfield. Butters and Rozee destroyed us out of the middle with speed and kicking long into attack. Our mids don't do that and don't have an accountable bone in their body. We need to change it up or we will see the same and get torched again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    our biggest score was without Naughton. No long bombs and the smaller players hit the scoreboard. Even Lobb?s last goal was the result of a low pass. Put Khamis full forward. I think he was our best goal kicker in the vfl last season. JUH on one wing and Baker on the other, tell both to take the game on. Baker had good form with Footscray for a few weeks and we have seen him kick three goals in a game . Buss at fullback, Lobb at CHB, English at CHF, Darcy wherever he wants to be. That gives us a marking pivot on each line.

play smith as ruck. He is too raw you say. He is better than English was in his first couple of games. And anyway, we don?t do ruck. Then set up the midfield for stopping roles so the ball stays trapped more. We are likely to win the ball in those circumstances.

might not work but at least it is a try.

Or just do what we did earlier in the season to get ourselves into this mess.
    What about trying Buku on the wing on Hollands and play through him. He has the height and the agility and for once won't need to be accountable for an opponent like he does defending. We know he can't defend but let him loose on the wing and see what he's got?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    What about trying Buku on the wing on Hollands and play through him. He has the height and the agility and for once won't need to be accountable for an opponent like he does defending. We know he can't defend but let him loose on the wing and see what he's got?
    I would consider Buku as ruck against Dekony and rather Darcy on the wing as he will out mark everyone and a lot better to play through
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I would put Libba on Cripps and go the hard tag. We need to reinvent Libba against those with a strong and fast midfield. Butters and Rozee destroyed us out of the middle with speed and kicking long into attack. Our mids don't do that and don't have an accountable bone in their body. We need to change it up or we will see the same and get torched again.
    I remember a story that his old man tagged a young Ben Cousins and broke him- was apparently in tears after the game. Might just be urban legend, not sure.

Anyway, I want to see Tom employ the same physical and psychological warfare on Cripps. Make him cry. Make him punch Libba in the face and get Bont one step closer to that Brownlow while he is at it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about the backline and I think if Keath is ready, he takes Curnow. No way can Keath run with McKay, who is very athletic and tends to run up the ground like a true CHF. Lobb should take on McKay.

If Keath doesn't come up, I am afraid we will see Buku on Curnow.