Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Monday Soapbox - R20

My soapbox is I am already so unbelievably sick of “DAE 2016 vibes???” from seemingly every football person with microphone access. We’ve done other good shit in 100 years, we’ve had other good seasons and we’re defined by so much more as a club.

Plus it really reduces the magnitude of what we actually achieved in 2016 to just assume that it’s doable any time we string 2-3 wins together.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

2. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    My soapbox is I am already so unbelievably sick of “DAE 2016 vibes???” from seemingly every football person with microphone access. We’ve done other good shit in 100 years, we’ve had other good seasons and we’re defined by so much more as a club.

Plus it really reduces the magnitude of what we actually achieved in 2016 to just assume that it’s doable any time we string 2-3 wins together.
    Yeah, this is nothing like 2016. That was the ultimate underdog story of the century and will NEVER be repeated, even if Hawthorn somehow pulls off a flag this year (they won't).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What does DAE stand for?

Also our 2016 season saw us win 15 dames to finish seventh, which is usually enough to be top four. Additionally, when we weren't having to cover for injuries at the start of the year and subsequently when we got many back for finals we were easily in the top couple of sides.

Hawthorn and the Bulldogs have both been slow builds this year.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What does DAE stand for?

Also our 2016 season saw us win 15 dames to finish seventh, which is usually enough to be top four. Additionally, when we weren't having to cover for injuries at the start of the year and subsequently when we got many back for finals we were easily in the top couple of sides.

Hawthorn and the Bulldogs have both been slow builds this year.
    Does Anyone Else - you’ve gotta spend more time on the worst parts of the internet homie.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Anyone Else - you’ve gotta spend more time on the worst parts of the internet homie.
    I've tended not to ask that question a lot anyway. I just assume everyone thinks like I do.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

I know everyone has forgotten 2021 existed, but for 3 matches and 2.5 quarters there hasn't been a better finals series by any team in history. Crazy travel schedule, being locked up like criminals in our hotel rooms in between games, in hindsight it was ridiculous that we gave ourselves a big look with 40 minutes of the season left.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes Bulldog Joe, Mofra, Eastdog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Monday soapbox - Essendon will extend their finals win drought this year. I find it amusing
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Monday soapbox - Essendon will extend their finals win drought this year. I find it amusing
    They are up to 7,268 days since they won a final. Definitely will crack 7,500 now.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I don't know him much longer we can deny them a finals berth but surely we can milk another year or two.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    It has to be discussed - Libba's white boots!

In the post-match video with Westy in the rooms, he didn't think they made him run as fast as he anticipated, and he's definitely not going fluoro any time soon. Hopefully he'll be back in black next week.

But Libba in white boots just seemed so wrong. I'm trying to think what else would seem so wrong? Brad Hardie in a sleeveless top is the closest thing that comes to mind.
    Or did Liberatore forget his boots?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some great boots

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes SquirrelGrip, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That horrible noise played after Swan?s kicked a goal, thank goodness they didn?t kick many. Who are the idiots who have to shove lights, noise and entertainment down our throats before, during and after games? The game should be good enough without their rubbish.

It was possibly even worse than bummers air raid siren. Upon reflection maybe not.

19. Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    That horrible noise played after Swan?s kicked a goal, thank goodness they didn?t kick many. Who are the idiots who have to shove lights, noise and entertainment down our throats before, during and after games? The game should be good enough without their rubbish.

It was possibly even worse than bummers air raid siren. Upon reflection maybe not.
    Funny I don't remember the songs blaring after the first couple of goals, then they started. I hope we don't start doing that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post

The stupid Da-da-da-da-da thing they play on the Gold Coast after a goal was infuriating when I saw a game there more than 10 years ago and I still hear it on TV.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe we have, playing for us, the two best footballers in the AFL. Number one is Marcus Bontempelli and number two is Ed Richards. Richards is remarkable. He has Bontempelliesque skills but, additionally, he has PACE. Real pace.

And, psst, he can kick.

If you?re puzzling, as I have, why we improved so much after early rounds, then look at Richards. The guy generates play. In match-sim early this year he showed how good a midfielder he could be. ( No, his move to the midfield wasn?t a reaction, yes, it was trialled, and, yes, we stored it in the back pocket for a rainy day.)

If you?re a forward, you?re confident to lead immediately because you can depend upon him. If you?re a defender, like Dale or Bramble, you can run off him because you know that, defensively, he?s elite and won?t cough up the ball.

Protect him Doggies, lock him into a multi-year contract, he is a unicorn.

24. Likes bornadog, SquirrelGrip, Uninformed, josie liked this post