Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coaching Questions: The +1 Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    The channel 7 commentary team phoned it in during most of the second half. Most of the chat was about Pendlebury's upcoming 400th game and BT wouldn't let it go, ruined the coverage and quite frankly disrepectful for what was happening out on the ground.
    I think there was five minutes left in the final quarter when BT said "and I guess we should talk about the Bulldogs who have been very impressive". Thanks BT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    So I wonder what was the set up in each arc and what then happened after the bounce. Who went where?
    I wondered the same thing.

It must have been the 'fake' half back (Bont, West) moves to the middle, and one of the nominated wings or forwards moves to defence?

Or do Sydney have a half forward who always moves up to be an extra mid, and this was just our way of negating that tactic?

3. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The channel 7 commentary team phoned it in during most of the second half. Most of the chat was about Pendlebury's upcoming 400th game and BT wouldn't let it go, ruined the coverage and quite frankly disrepectful for what was happening out on the ground.
    I am always bemused by the anti Fox Footy commentary sentiment sometimes aired here. They are far from perfect but they are a mile in front of the total garbage served up by ch 7. Next year will be bliss not having to listen to those useless pricks ever again.
    Last edited by Sedat; 29-07-2024 at 02:59 PM.

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I am always bemused by the anti Fox Footy commentary sentiment sometimes aired here. They are far from perfect but they are a mile in front of the total garbage served in by ch 7. Next year will be bliss not having to listen to those useless pricks ever again.
    Are fox commentating all games? It annoys me they do it remotely however you're right they are really far better.

Post Thanks / Like

I am always bemused by the anti Fox Footy commentary sentiment sometimes aired here. They are far from perfect but they are a mile in front of the total garbage served in by ch 7. Next year will be bliss not having to listen to those useless pricks ever again.
    I've not noticed anti-Fox commentary sentiment around here, particularly in comparison to the frankly weird and perverted stuff ch7 has dished up over the years.

Were they commentating from the SCG yesterday? I'd like to say if not that had something to do with them not picking up the positional pieces mentioned in this thread, but I'm probably being lenient.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

I will say, I can't Gary Lyon and Brownie
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to really like BT (his 2016 finals run is nearly as iconic as ours), but did something really awful happen to him recently? He’s an unbelievably miserable guy to listen to now.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I wasn't at the game but it looked like at times Rhylee came off half back at centre bounces. Am I right in that Bont did that as well? Bramble started on a wing, but did he then go back to defence?

It certainly looked like we were trying something different yesterday, but I just couldn't tell on TV and the commentators didn't pick anything up.

Can anyone help here?
    I didn't pick it up yesterday, but at Geelong, West often started back flank and so did Treloar.
    It seemed there that Geelong were bringing a forward into the mids after each centre bounce and we simply used a mid rotation from half back to match them.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

11. Likes jDogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Libba was also at half back for a few centre bounces.

Your guess seems most likely jazza? fascinating stuff, and obviously it worked.

Another part of the game that was noticeable was how keen we were to move the ball forward at every opportunity. It had to be a coaching instruction. Everyone was going for the clearing kick out of congestion.

Maybe it?s related to the half back - mid rotation? We created even numbers forward of the ball knowing that we could get them in the air?

Post Thanks / Like

The times I noticed West do it he was next to Gulden, so I wasn't sure if it was in a defensive sense. Bont was definitely there to roll up as the plus one though. As someone above said Libba did it at least once as well.

Tbh most of the times I noticed it we won the clearance before they even got to the contest so was largely irrelevant.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I didn't pick it up yesterday, but at Geelong, West often started back flank and so did Treloar.
    It seemed there that Geelong were bringing a forward into the mids after each centre bounce and we simply used a mid rotation from half back to match them.
    Treloar definitely started off the HBF a few times at the centre bounces. He then moved quickly into the square once the ball was bounced. Effectively giving us an extra mid. It didn’t appear like anyone was on him so effectively he was free to roam. Great when we get possession (majority of time) but also allows him to pick up an opposition player running through if they get the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Treloar definitely started off the HBF a few times at the centre bounces. He then moved quickly into the square once the ball was bounced. Effectively giving us an extra mid. It didn’t appear like anyone was on him so effectively he was free to roam. Great when we get possession (majority of time) but also allows him to pick up an opposition player running through if they get the ball.
    That is definitely what we were doing at Geelong.
    Will pay attention this week to see if it is something we continue to do.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

16. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, BT has been for a long time one of the most unbearable commentators, self indulgent and sometimes plain daft. There are a few in the 7 comms box who are professional and call the game without ego but so much of it is backslapping jocularity without a shred of analysis. The pox team aren't perfect either and can sometimes grind my gears but they do focus on analysis more generally than 7. Paying for Kayo and still being subjected to BT is a con. I've tried abc radio with the telly muted but the broadcast delay is longer now than it was a couple of years ago. Yesterday it was about 10 seconds. So if anyone has any tips on how to slow down the radio that'd be grand.

Post Thanks / Like

At times Dale also seemed to start as a wingman, was he trying to break the tag or and then swap with the mid who was at HB?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pleather Sole View Post
    Agreed, BT has been for a long time one of the most unbearable commentators, self indulgent and sometimes plain daft. There are a few in the 7 comms box who are professional and call the game without ego but so much of it is backslapping jocularity without a shred of analysis. The pox team aren't perfect either and can sometimes grind my gears but they do focus on analysis more generally than 7. Paying for Kayo and still being subjected to BT is a con. I've tried abc radio with the telly muted but the broadcast delay is longer now than it was a couple of years ago. Yesterday it was about 10 seconds. So if anyone has any tips on how to slow down the radio that'd be grand.
    You can listen to the radio on the afl app and just pause it for a few seconds to sync up.