Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flat Track Bully since 2022: Charlie Curnow

I know Carlton are in trouble now Curnow is out and all...but over the last couple of seasons I would really challenge people to assess his ACTUAL impact on games. Since his honestly outstanding 2022 season when he kicked goals every week, here are the teams he has kicked 4 or more against:

2023:
    Geelong (Round 2 post Premiership)
    North
    West Coast (lol - 19 in two games...that's the COLEMAN right there!!!)
    Collingwood - FAIR ENOUGH!!
    Gold Coast

2024:
    Brisbane (during their losing streak)
    North (twice)
    Adelaide (bottom)
    Gold Coast (nuff said)
    Geelong (during their losing streak)

I know, I know - we would all be happy to have him etc. But his reputation in recent times has been built based on his performances vs the bottom sides on the ladder...and if you want to know why Carlton have fallen down the ladder, point the finger at Charlie and his running mate.

Bring this back to the Dogs.

- Aaron and Jamarra need to deliver over the next couple of weeks - marks inside 50, score involvements and YES - Actual GOALS. If they want to want to be the man, then they have to BE the man.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flat Track Bully since 2022: Charlie Curnow

Isn't there an element of most players getting the best results against poorer opponents.

Jamarra did give great results over that 3 week spell that really counted, but he needs to continue to perform.

Not sure what was wrong with Naughton against Adelaide but there was no creating the outlet up the wing that he had been so good at over the previous month.

Carlton can glorify themselves with Colemans and Brownlows, I want us in the finals and winning 4 of them.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Isn't there an element of most players getting the best results against poorer opponents.
    ...which is why recent retiree Martin is so revered. Best games in big games.

Curnow winning a Coleman off the back of 19-goals vs West Coast will be lost to history...but those of us who were there should never forget it. Nor that in a critical final against the Lions he scored 1-goal.

Everyone LOVES Charlie...but has he really earned it?

At the same time, Jamarra and Aaron need to stand up.

Post Thanks / Like

Never showed anything in finals. In the 2023 three finals Carlton were involved in, he kicked one in each.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Classic "peak" player where they are judged on their absolute best, ignoring the fact he so rarely hits that mark.

I'm still adamant that Nick Larkey is grossly underrated and the best KPF over the 2023-24 period. Jesse Hogan very good as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes Dry Rot, Bulldog Joe, 1eyedog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You’re ultimately judged by what you produce and he’s kicked more goals than anyone over the period. Yes a lot of that has been helped by large hauls against middling and poor opponents, but if Marra kicked 19 goals against North in a season, we wouldn’t be discounting his goal tally. Still an incredible effort.

Where he has failed to produce is in the big moments. It’s a fair criticism. It will hurt his reputation if he never rectifies it.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    You’re ultimately judged by what you produce and he’s kicked more goals than anyone over the period. Yes a lot of that has been helped by large hauls against middling and poor opponents, but if Marra kicked 19 goals against North in a season, we wouldn’t be discounting his goal tally. Still an incredible effort.

Where he has failed to produce is in the big moments. It’s a fair criticism. It will hurt his reputation if he never rectifies it.
    Now if it was Josh Bruce on the other hand...

10. Likes azabob, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Wanna bet?

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Wanna bet?
    If Jamarra ends up with 19 goals against North this season he will have kicked 16 in this upcoming game.

Personally I’d be pretty stoked with that.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If Jamarra ends up with 19 goals against North this season he will have kicked 16 in this upcoming game.

Personally I’d be pretty stoked with that.
    My care factor would be really low. Kicking goals in 100+ point wins - and that's what it would be if he kicked 16 - does not excite me at all. Kicking 4+ against the Giants in Ballarat this week? That would be pretty meaningful.

We needed him last week.

Post Thanks / Like

My care factor would be really low. Kicking goals in 100+ point wins - and that's what it would be if he kicked 16 - does not excite me at all. Kicking 4+ against the Giants in Ballarat this week? That would be pretty meaningful.

We needed him last week.
    You wouldn’t be excited if a player kicked the literal most ever goals in a single game for the club? Not even a little bit?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

You wouldn’t be excited if a player kicked the literal most ever goals in a single game for the club? Not even a little bit?
    I am getting John Longmire vibes from mjp when Longmire dragged Amarty who had kicked nine goals against the crows earlier this year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I could not give a rats how many one player kicks.

I could not care who wins the B&F, who wins the Brownlow etc.

Winning players are winning players - and they walk away from the game as winners. It's why Dunstall is a better forward than Lockett and Ablett - he has 4x premierships and repeatedly delivered. And yep, I know that Gazza kicked 9-goals in the 1989 GF...but he kicked ZERO in 1995 as Carlton stomped them, 3 in 92 (vs West Coast in a really poor game versus Worsfold who was not in his class) and had just 3x kicks for 1-goal as WC cruised to victory in 94.

And to reiterate, I was not impressed when Josh Bruce kicked 10-goals vs North a few years back.

Post Thanks / Like

We needed him last week.
    MJP is Robert Smith.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

I could not give a rats how many one player kicks.

I could not care who wins the B&F, who wins the Brownlow etc.

Winning players are winning players - and they walk away from the game as winners. It's why Dunstall is a better forward than Lockett and Ablett - he has 4x premierships and repeatedly delivered. And yep, I know that Gazza kicked 9-goals in the 1989 GF...but he kicked ZERO in 1995 as Carlton stomped them, 3 in 92 (vs West Coast in a really poor game versus Worsfold who was not in his class) and had just 3x kicks for 1-goal as WC cruised to victory in 94.

And to reiterate, I was not impressed when Josh Bruce kicked 10-goals vs North a few years back.
    Does the same apply to Luke Hodge among his peers? I know it's not the point of the thread, given it's forward related, but success in finals and premierships has come into it and I really don't know how I feel about the same being applied to Hodge.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.