Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Max Gawn / Ruckman

Is there a case to say Max Gawn should be in the discussion of being the best ruck man to have ever player the game?
    I know it's hard to compare players over a long period of time and the rules are changed that alter the game but Max has been outstanding over a long period of time and is very durable.

Who have been the best and most impactful rucks you have seen?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Max Gawn / Ruckman

Looking at his career, it took 5 years for him to start playing as a good ruckman. His first year was in 2011 as a 20 year old but he started getting more games from 2016, and started to peak as a 26 year old, although he did have a very good year in 2016 as a 24 year old. He really matured in his late 20s and had an exceptional year in 2021 as a 30 year old and has continued to dominate.

Taking out his injuries, he is very consistent and would be one of the best rucks ever. He is your modern ruckman that not only wins the tap outs but is very good around the ground and bobs up for a goal every now and then.

Going back in history, one of the best rucks I have seen is Gary Dempsey. Who can forget his powerful performances for Victoria and in a very weak Footscray team, dominated and won a Brownlow.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure he surpasses Dean Cox for consistency over the journey? Very good player though. He’s also benefited (like Cox) in having a very good midfield around him which helps make him look better at times. His overhead ability and adjustment he’s seemingly made to his body to improve his running and durability has been excellent.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure he's better than:

Polly Farmer
    Simon Madden
    Gary Dempsey
    Stephen Michael
    John Nicholls

And even at Melbourne, would you rather Jim Stynes?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Gawn is probably second to Cox in my lifetime but he’s also kind of become the face of this Melbourne fall off in all his weird and pretty much dishonest media interviews. Plus I dunno I find him really fake and annoying.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Simon Madden is the best I have ever seen play. 375 games. 575 goals. He was influential in the number one ruckman role, but then he could go forward and be a real weapon. He kicked over 40 gaols in a season four times in his career. Also, his longevity and the eras he spanned is remarkable.

He made his debut in 1974. He retired in 1992.

He was 3rd in the Brownlow in 1983. He was 2nd in the Brownlow in 1988.

Norm Smith medal in 1985.

Four B&Fs.

Essendon Captain. Victorian Captain.

9. Likes GVGjr, Sedat, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look at players that could still ruck in today's football at the highest level Simon Madden and Dean Cox would still be excellent.
    I still think Gawn is in the conversation though.

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Max is the best i've seen.

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If you look at players that could still ruck in today's football at the highest level Simon Madden and Dean Cox would still be excellent.
    Agree with that. It is close and open to opinion. No doubt. I just think that Simon Madden was more skilful and cooridnated than those two for a big man. There was a gracefulness to Madden that neither Gawn or Cox had/have.

Post Thanks / Like

For those that never saw Madden play. Some highlights in this clip comparing him to Jim Stynes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Paul Salmon is also better than Gawn - first half of his career as a forward, then his second half (including Hawks) as a ruck. And he could play in today's football.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Simon Madden is the best I have ever seen play. 375 games. 575 goals. He was influential in the number one ruckman role, but then he could go forward and be a real weapon. He kicked over 40 gaols in a season four times in his career. Also, his longevity and the eras he spanned is remarkable.

He made his debut in 1974. He retired in 1992.

He was 3rd in the Brownlow in 1983. He was 2nd in the Brownlow in 1988.

Norm Smith medal in 1985.

Four B&Fs.

Essendon Captain. Victorian Captain.
    Good nomination

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Paul Salmon is also better than Gawn - first half of his career as a forward, then his second half (including Hawks) as a ruck. And he could play in today's football.
    Paul was a great all rounder and fits into today's Forward/Ruck beautifully
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Gawn is probably second to Cox in my lifetime but he’s also kind of become the face of this Melbourne fall off in all his weird and pretty much dishonest media interviews. Plus I dunno I find him really fake and annoying.
    You know he likes being a barista sometimes, and really loves coffee?
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we forget how good some rucks of days past were. Some good mentions already, particularly Simon Madden.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think we forget how good some rucks of days past were. Some good mentions already, particularly Simon Madden.
    He was the best I had seen for many year. Really good up forward and an terrific around the ground and his ability to feed the midfielders was as good as I can recall.