Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  92
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog ONLY Trade News

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    There is two sides to every story. Of the current list Bramble, Lobb and Duryea have been fantastic.

Baz, Macrae, Daniel and Garcia creates a bit of a vacuum so hopefully Sanders, Gallagher, Harmes, Poulter, Cleary can step up.

I'm still not convinced our potential outgoings are adequately replaced by what remains on the list but we're clearly moving very deliberately in a certain direction and that's a positive at this stage.
    Agreed but I reckon there's been a little too much doom and gloom in relation to post-season discussions around us (not from you), which I personally find surprising for a team that had the best defensive/attacking profile in the competition for the entire 2024 H&A season - the only other 2 teams with comparable balanced profiles were Hawthorn who were white-hot and knocked us off in the EF, and Brisbane who won the whole shooting match.

We have been quite deliberate with our list management strategy this off-season and also who we are specifically targeting that can add to areas of deficiency. The 2021 halcyon days are well and truly over and the game has change significantly even in that short period of time, so we have adapted accordingly this year (2 years too late IMO, but better late than never).

The elite tank one-paced accumulator is not going to get it done in 2025 - Macrae and Daniel are victims of the changing landscape but Daniel has elite disposal and decision-making weapons that are still valuable. Macrae in the right team feeds it to the outside runners, so he would be also be valuable in the right set-up. And clearly we have targeted unsexy players this off-season but those who perform roles which we have in short supply - Peatling as that defensive-oriented mid (to replace the Dunkley hole) and XOH to add to our high-half forward stocks (every team except Geelong, Hawthorn and GWS needs more of these types, not less).

We've also been hamstrung by some overly generous list management contract extensions in recent years that will hopefully be rectified next year.

I don't see the negativity that some others do at the moment. Power is not going to get screwed over in the next 8 days - he's as tough at the trade table as anyone - and we will bring in some more quality via the draft and also potentially bring in some seasoned players to bolster areas of need. I am still concerned with our ruck set-up at stoppages (especially in big games when it counts), but it is what it is.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes SquirrelGrip, 1eyedog, josie, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL.com.au's Josh Gabelich believes Riley Garcia is set to stay at the Western Bulldogs on a three-year deal.

Garcia had attracted interest from Port Adelaide, who yesterday received a trade commitment from Collingwood's Joe Richards.

But with Bailey Smith and Jack Macrae seeking trades – plus Greater Western Sydney unwilling to let Xavier O’Halloran move – the Bulldogs are determined to keep Garcia.

"I think he'll stay at the Western Bulldogs," Gabelich said this morning.

4. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I liked what we did last year in bringing in 5 players from the National draft and it's been a bugbear for a few of us here over many years that we don't seem to hit the draft enough and back ourselves with some later picks. Yes, bringing in Marra, Treloar and Darcy reduced our draft capital but we now need to address it.
    But why does hitting the draft 'HARD' need to mean moving on players who can/are contributing?

I don't know Caleb personally but he has fought for EVERYTHING he has gotten in footy. He was a top 10 (probably top 5) player based on output in his draft year and fell down the order because he's small. He's worn a helmet all his life - in an era when he would have been the ONLY one - because his mum said he had too (and if you think that wouldn't have led to a heap of ridicule AND targeting on field then, well...)...he was (supposedly) overheard telling Bevo he's up to do ANYTHING for the team during the late season game against the Giants...

To me, blokes like this DON'T grow on trees. He's in the leadership group - and he has genuinely led the way in terms of the effort and team first attitude he has displayed.

Was 2024 his best ever season? No. But rule this bloke out at your peril - he is going to find a way...if we trade him, we're gonna regret it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But why does hitting the draft 'HARD' need to mean moving on players who can/are contributing?

I don't know Caleb personally but he has fought for EVERYTHING he has gotten in footy. He was a top 10 (probably top 5) player based on output in his draft year and fell down the order because he's small. He's worn a helmet all his life - in an era when he would have been the ONLY one - because his mum said he had too (and if you think that wouldn't have led to a heap of ridicule AND targeting on field then, well...)...he was (supposedly) overheard telling Bevo he's up to do ANYTHING for the team during the late season game against the Giants...

To me, blokes like this DON'T grow on trees. He's in the leadership group - and he has genuinely led the way in terms of the effort and team first attitude he has displayed.

Was 2024 his best ever season? No. But rule this bloke out at your peril - he is going to find a way...if we trade him, we're gonna regret it.
    Yeah it's interesting after having one below average year that we would consider selling him for a bag of chips. I think we can settle him down back next year particularly now we have plenty of talls around him and lets back him in because we certainly missed his elite disposal this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Yeah it's interesting after having one below average year that we would consider selling him for a bag of chips. I think we can settle him down back next year particularly now we have plenty of talls around him and lets back him in because we certainly missed his elite disposal this year.
    The problem is our preferred back 7 by the end of the season seemed to be 3 talls plus Dale, Bramble, Duryea and Freijah. Who do you tip out? I would be hesitant to move Freijah to a wing yet as I feel like it's a tougher position to play, even though he may end up there eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Agreed but I reckon there's been a little too much doom and gloom in relation to post-season discussions around us (not from you), which I personally find surprising for a team that had the best defensive/attacking profile in the competition for the entire 2024 H&A season - the only other 2 teams with comparable balanced profiles were Hawthorn who were white-hot and knocked us off in the EF, and Brisbane who won the whole shooting match.
    100% mate.

The negativity is coming from a pretty tepid performance in a knock-out final...sadly that night several of our biggest/most highly paid players (Bont, Naughton, Jamarra) were poor ==> putrid and we made some 'interesting' selection decisions (Harms > Macrae)...

The impression we have left everyone with is a lot closer to Melbourne's year than Hawthorn/Brisbane's years even though our statistical rankings have us closer to the latter than the former...

My concern right now is not the draft and trade period. It's the ability of the coaching team to get us out of the blocks a LITTLE bit quicker so we don't spend all of July and August desperately scratching for victories to try and pinch a spot at the bottom of the 8. It's clear our pre-season's have not been 'RIGHT' for some time now and - Skinner Reserve issues/excuses aside - it really is time to sort that out.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Likes Pleather Sole, Sedat, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The problem is our preferred back 7 by the end of the season seemed to be 3 talls plus Dale, Bramble, Duryea and Freijah. Who do you tip out? I would be hesitant to move Freijah to a wing yet as I feel like it's a tougher position to play, even though he may end up there eventually.
    Bramble has had 1 good year at AFL level, fringe players are notorious for having a good first year after moving and then disappearing while Joel is young still hence still think there is role there for CD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I'm genuinely not convinced that we WANT to trade Caleb. If he is offered four years by North, and we only have him contracted for two more, that does become a tricky discussion for a great leader on decent money who didn't play that much (16 games with 8 as sub). We love him, but does that make a four year deal the right choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Bramble has had 1 good year at AFL level, fringe players are notorious for having a good first year after moving and then disappearing while Joel is young still hence still think there is role there for CD.
    Don't get me wrong, I want Caleb to stay but I do struggle to identify a clear role for him going forward. By the same token I am happy for him to be a plug and play solution where needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

We have been quite deliberate with our list management strategy this off-season and also who we are specifically targeting that can add to areas of deficiency. The 2021 halcyon days are well and truly over and the game has change significantly even in that short period of time, so we have adapted accordingly this year (2 years too late IMO, but better late than never).

The elite tank one-paced accumulator is not going to get it done in 2025 - Macrae and Daniel are victims of the changing landscape but Daniel has elite disposal and decision-making weapons that are still valuable. Macrae in the right team feeds it to the outside runners, so he would be also be valuable in the right set-up. And clearly we have targeted unsexy players this off-season but those who perform roles which we have in short supply - Peatling as that defensive-oriented mid (to replace the Dunkley hole) and XOH to add to our high-half forward stocks (every team except Geelong, Hawthorn and GWS needs more of these types, not less).

We've also been hamstrung by some overly generous list management contract extensions in recent years that will hopefully be rectified next year.

I don't see the negativity that some others do at the moment. Power is not going to get screwed over in the next 8 days - he's as tough at the trade table as anyone - and we will bring in some more quality via the draft and also potentially bring in some seasoned players to bolster areas of need. I am still concerned with our ruck set-up at stoppages (especially in big games when it counts), but it is what it is.
    Yeah agreed I actually think the list is in better shape than its ever been and still do think it's a deep finals list, if we can just get a few things right. The personnel we're using at stoppages needs a bit of a shake up and we really need to sort out this small forward circus we've been rolling out.

If we can get another level from Jamarra, Darcy, Sanders and Freijah and some consistency from West we're an immediately better side. If Buss comes on that would be nice too as we really need some surety in that third tall role that Khamis and Coffield have been so far unable to bring.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Radio:

"I believe the Saints and Dogs are haggling over that late 40s pick for Jack Macrae. The Dogs are not accepting that for him. It seems like one that will drag on for a while."

- Dan Hannebery on the Jack Macrae deal between the Dogs and the Saints
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Trade Radio:

"I believe the Saints and Dogs are haggling over that late 40s pick for Jack Macrae. The Dogs are not accepting that for him. It seems like one that will drag on for a while."

The beauty of the contract.

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of Macrae and Daniel, it's pretty layered.

What do we see as the potential of them rising above fringe? If we see a them as fringe and probably losing value over the next couple of years, then a salary dump trade really makes a lot of sense even if we don't get much value draft picks wise.

If we trade them, I think the main motive would be salary dumping, do we have strong plan we feel we can execute with the cap space? What value will we get back from freeing up the cap space?

18. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Trade Radio:

"I believe the Saints and Dogs are haggling over that late 40s pick for Jack Macrae. The Dogs are not accepting that for him. It seems like one that will drag on for a while. Also I'm still gutted by that non-free for contact below the knees from Easton Wood in the 2016 GF and the general umpiring overall. How did we not get a single free kick in the 2nd and 3rd quarters? It was daylight robbery and I will never get over it."

Edited to include the full transcript.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

20. Thanks bulldogtragic, 1eyedog, Vred thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dan Hannebery of all people should understand the value in trying to grift St Kilda
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

22. Likes azabob, bulldogtragic, hujsh, Sedat, jeemak liked this post