Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
    Post Thanks / Like

What are they worth in new Deals - Bont, Darcy and Ed Richards

We have three important players coming out of contract at the end of 2025 - The Bont, Darcy and Ed. Whilst we can't take it for granted that Bon't and Darcy would not leave - you don't want to take any chances.

What sort of deals should we be putting in front of them?

How long and what dollars.

Remembering other clubs will come for them and we need to make sure we are in the ball park.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Virgin-Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are they worth in new Deals - Bont, Darcy and Ed Richards

Is it too late to trade them?

4. Likes EasternWest, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We have three important players coming out of contract at the end of 2025 - The Bont, Darcy and Ed. Whilst we can't take it for granted that Bon't and Darcy would not leave - you don't want to take any chances.

What sort of deals should we be putting in front of them?

How long and what dollars.

Remembering other clubs will come for them and we need to make sure we are in the ball park.
    Bont - $1mil/yr for 3 years
    Darcy - $1.1mil/yr for 7 years
    Ed - $800k/yr for 5 years

These are all best case scenario for us with the cap changes. Other clubs will likely offer more (and in Darcy’s case I’m assuming he’ll get monster offers from Sydney like Naughton did, otherwise it wouldn’t be 7 years). Every chance they’re all getting another $100k+ if we don’t lock them away asap

6. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    Bont - $1mil/yr for 3 years
    Darcy - $1.1mil/yr for 7 years
    Ed - $800k/yr for 5 years

These are all best case scenario for us with the cap changes. Other clubs will likely offer more (and in Darcy’s case I’m assuming he’ll get monster offers from Sydney like Naughton did, otherwise it wouldn’t be 7 years). Every chance they’re all getting another $100k+ if we don’t lock them away asap
    I think that looks about right.

I wonder what Bont is on now and is that offer less than what he is getting. I guess age is catching up to him.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed's concussion history is a worry, otherwise he would be worth a long-term deal. Happy with 5 years if there is some water-tight wording around concussion payouts - he deserves a big contract based on performance and age profile.

I'd be happy to give Bont 5 years - he is extremely durable and obviously an elite footballer who will not drop off at 34yo. This will be his last big pay day.

Darcy can get up to 10 years as far as I'm concerned. Longer term and a little less $$ per year than the free market would otherwise command.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I think that looks about right.

I wonder what Bont is on now and is that offer less than what he is getting. I guess age is catching up to him.
    At a complete guess, I assume Bont is probably on $1.1/1.2mil per year, but his next deal will start when he’s already 30, so I’d assume the most lucrative years are done and he begins signing more “team friendly” contracts.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The HUN list has Bont at $1-$1.1 million for 2024. You wouldn't expect his next deal to be much different.

I believe Bont has chosen not to sign long term deals in the past and I would say the length would pretty much be entirely up to him.

Darcy is in a similar boat in that it's up to him to decide the length. I'm sure we would love to sign him to a long term contract but he may want to maximise his worth by signing a shorter deal.

Agree that 4-5 years would be ideal for Richards.

12. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much to add. Pretty much agree with the above posts. Nice to have the cap where none of this is in doubt if that’s what we want to offer and that’s what they’ll take.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not much to add. Pretty much agree with the above posts. Nice to have the cap where none of this is in doubt if that’s what we want to offer and that’s what they’ll take.
    When does the new cap kick in?

Post Thanks / Like

2025 I believe. About $18 million I think.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Darcy is 21 right? Give him a 12 year contract!

Post Thanks / Like

The total player payments will jump from $15,022,778 in 2023 to $15,788,222 this year, before rising to $17.76m in 2025, $18.29m in 2026 and $18.44m in 2027.
    It is worth remembering a lot of player contracts factor in the increases so we don't automatically have an extra $2 million in cap space. Existing contracts will eat up a portion of that (no idea how much).

19. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Ed's concussion history is a worry, otherwise he would be worth a long-term deal. Happy with 5 years if there is some water-tight wording around concussion payouts - he deserves a big contract based on performance and age profile.

I'd be happy to give Bont 5 years - he is extremely durable and obviously an elite footballer who will not drop off at 34yo. This will be his last big pay day.

Darcy can get up to 10 years as far as I'm concerned. Longer term and a little less $$ per year than the free market would otherwise command.
    He's worth looking around for a trade. B grader can't be holding the club to ransom